British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Thinking about moving from UK to San Jose with 5yr old twins (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/thinking-about-moving-uk-san-jose-5yr-old-twins-769343/)

LeavingLondon Aug 24th 2012 11:12 am

Thinking about moving from UK to San Jose with 5yr old twins

Hi there,

My husband has been offered a job in San Jose and am just trying to do research before we reach a decision. Does anyone have any advice re areas to live/schooling etc. Looking for a nice neighbourhood with other young families and great schools. So any tips would be much appreciated thanks.

lisa67 Aug 24th 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Thinking about moving from UK to San Jose with 5yr old twins

Originally Posted by amandaj75 (Post 10244175)
Hi there,

My husband has been offered a job in San Jose and am just trying to do research before we reach a decision. Does anyone have any advice re areas to live/schooling etc. Looking for a nice neighbourhood with other young families and great schools. So any tips would be much appreciated thanks.

Well me to BE

Sorry I can't help specifically, but you could also try asking your question on www.city-data.com :)

Noorah101 Aug 24th 2012 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by amandaj75 (Post 10244175)
Hi there,

Aside from the specifics on San Jose, do you know which visa your husband will be getting? I ask because a job offer in and of itself is no good, unless the employer is willing to sponsor a work visa.

Rene

N1cky Aug 24th 2012 4:16 pm

Here's a recent thread on living in San Jose.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=san+jose+ca

LeavingLondon Aug 24th 2012 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10244526)
Aside from the specifics on San Jose, do you know which visa your husband will be getting? I ask because a job offer in and of itself is no good, unless the employer is willing to sponsor a work visa.

Rene

Hi Rene, yes they are willing to sponsor a work visa

SanDiegogirl Aug 24th 2012 5:44 pm

Depending on how far you want to commute Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Morgan Hill are all areas to take a look at.

The best schools are in Palo Alto apparently; though this place is expensive in terms of housing.

penguinsix Aug 25th 2012 3:48 am

Los Gatos, Cupertino and Palo Alto all have good schools. Cupertino is over 50% Chinese immigrants though and many of those families push the kids very hard on testing (i.e. the Tiger Mom thing).

You need to ask specifically what type of "work visa". If it is an H-1 visa, then you will not be eligible to work, which might be a bit of a downer if you are currently working (or exciting as you get to stay home all day).

Would also recommend city-day.com. It's a relocation forum for folks to ask about schools, neighborhoods, commutes, etc.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-jose/

Bob Aug 25th 2012 11:28 pm

If it's a H1B, unless it's uni related, they won't be getting it till next April for a October start and you'd not be able to work.

If it's a company transfer and a L1, then you'd be allowed to work on a L2. If that makes any difference.

As for the rest, would depend on your budget and what kind of commute you'd be willing to put up with I'd guess.

http://www.greatschools.org/ in addition to city-data.

LeavingLondon Aug 27th 2012 8:39 am

Thanks everyone. Will check about the visas and am trying to wok out my rental budget and living expenses.

My boys will be 6yrs old in January - does that mean they would go into Grade 1 or Kindergarden? In the UK, they'll be starting Year 1 next week and I'd hate for them to have to repeat a year on Kindergarden

penguinsix Aug 27th 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by amandaj75 (Post 10248328)
Thanks everyone. Will check about the visas and am trying to wok out my rental budget and living expenses.

My boys will be 6yrs old in January - does that mean they would go into Grade 1 or Kindergarden? In the UK, they'll be starting Year 1 next week and I'd hate for them to have to repeat a year on Kindergarden

It's complicated.

While you may think of it as repeating, it isn't necessarily the case. It depends on the child and the schools involved. Many folks have 'pushed' their kids to a higher grade thinking 'time in school' was the most important only to find out the difference and being the youngest/smallest took its toll. Some American schools have pre-K and K-4 programs such that your child will have had the same amount of time in class as those his age in the US.

Take a look at our WIKI and at this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Educat...s_in_school%3F

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643985

There really isn't a right answer--it's very personalized to your specific situation.

Good luck.

LeavingLondon Aug 28th 2012 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 10248464)
It's complicated.

While you may think of it as repeating, it isn't necessarily the case. It depends on the child and the schools involved. Many folks have 'pushed' their kids to a higher grade thinking 'time in school' was the most important only to find out the difference and being the youngest/smallest took its toll. Some American schools have pre-K and K-4 programs such that your child will have had the same amount of time in class as those his age in the US.

Yes i think you are right. i guess it also boils down to what they learn in kindergarden vs first grade. They already can read well and do basic arithmetic so i need to see how that compares with the US.

penguinsix Aug 29th 2012 1:36 am

Originally Posted by amandaj75 (Post 10250681)
Yes i think you are right. i guess it also boils down to what they learn in kindergarden vs first grade. They already can read well and do basic arithmetic so i need to see how that compares with the US.

One other thing is how long are you staying in the US? If you are going to be here getting a green card and eventually placing the kids in a US university, then keeping up with the grade level back home isn't as important. If you are here for a quick two year assignment, you may want to try and keep them on par with their classmates back home (i.e. get a copy of the syllabus for the next few grades to makes sure the next adjustment will go smoothly).

LeavingLondon Sep 1st 2012 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 10244867)
Depending on how far you want to commute Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Morgan Hill are all areas to take a look at.

The best schools are in Palo Alto apparently; though this place is expensive in terms of housing.

Thanks, i guess realistically, we're looking to pay no more than $2800 a month rental? Would those areas be out of our range (nice 3-4 bed house in a nice neighbourhood?)

SanDiegogirl Sep 1st 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by amandaj75 (Post 10258838)
Thanks, i guess realistically, we're looking to pay no more than $2800 a month rental? Would those areas be out of our range (nice 3-4 bed house in a nice neighbourhood?)

It all depends on the area. The closer in to the centre of Silicon Valley the higher the costs. Realistically I think you will be hard pressed to find a quality 3-4 bedroom single family home for 2,800 pcm.

I just did a general search on Sunnyvale Rentals ('cause I used to live in Sunnyvale) and clicked on Archway Apartments. Their 2 bedrooms start at 2,400 and their 3 bedrooms at 3,000. Apartment typically have amenities like gyms and pools, so a 3-4 bedroom house without any amenities might also fall into this range.

I would Google all the areas suggested to you to get a handle on current rental costs.

N1cky Sep 1st 2012 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by amandaj75 (Post 10258838)

No chance.