Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving back after 7 wonderful years

Thinking about moving back after 7 wonderful years

Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about moving back after 7 wonderful years

Thinking about moving back to the UK after 7 years in Florida.
Had a successful business which is now not generating any income and we have completly lost interest in it. It was a great season for us but that is now over.
I am the primary E2 holder so that my husband can work elsewhere (he is in ministry, it is a calling which does not pay well)

so we have no money, we have been in our house for 18 months and have not been able to pay the mortage. Our cars are about to die, even my computer is on the blink!

Our oldest son who is 16 is desperate to work and he is not allowed which gives us another dilema, the kids are now getting to the age where they want to earn money and will be unable to do so. (3 children all want to go back to the uk)

we keep ploughing money into this country and into visa renewals and status changes, money we no longer have.
I love it here and have made the best friends ever but our work situation is dire, its not like i can even get a job because of the E2.
not liking the thought of going back to miserable weather but half the time its to hot to go outside here anyway.
rambling post i know - any feedback would be great
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all
Default Re: Thinking about moving back after 7 wonderful years

There comes a time when it's good to go home, for better or worse. I did it after living and working here in the States for 30 years, and although the transition was, and still is to a degree it's home. Good luck
John
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

michael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the rough

I know what you mean ohwottodo I also live In florida have 7 great years in Massachusetts Job ended got unemployment for 6 months.
Filed for so many jobs with no luck so when it came to renew my unemployment claim i deceded not to and lucky a friend in uk said they would put me and wife up so we are moveing back once we sell our mobile home here we have wife's visa and I think we stand more chance in uk I am willing to give up my green card for to be happier savings don't last forever anyway good luck and home everything works out for you all
Old Jul 9th 2012, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you at the moment i feel very bound by our limitations, there is the option of my husband giving up the job he loves but poorly paid and starting a new E2 biz.
I am excited about the prospect of moving back but we must have something substantial to go to, we will see... watch this space it will come to a head soon as we have had 18 months with no mortage payment so decisions will have to be made
Old Jul 9th 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

michael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the rough

once again good luck with whatever you decide
Old Jul 10th 2012, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I guess thinking about plans for your children are a pretty big consideration in the dilemma.

You mention your E2 visa - what will you do when your children age out and can no longer be covered on your visa? Will they have to return to the UK at that point anyway?

If your children are thinking of university in the UK, you might want to consider moving back in time to get the 3 years residence in so that they can be treated as home students rather than international.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohwottodo View Post
Thinking about moving back to the UK after 7 years in Florida.
Had a successful business which is now not generating any income and we have completly lost interest in it. It was a great season for us but that is now over.
I am the primary E2 holder so that my husband can work elsewhere (he is in ministry, it is a calling which does not pay well)

so we have no money, we have been in our house for 18 months and have not been able to pay the mortage. Our cars are about to die, even my computer is on the blink!

Our oldest son who is 16 is desperate to work and he is not allowed which gives us another dilema, the kids are now getting to the age where they want to earn money and will be unable to do so. (3 children all want to go back to the uk)

we keep ploughing money into this country and into visa renewals and status changes, money we no longer have.
I love it here and have made the best friends ever but our work situation is dire, its not like i can even get a job because of the E2.
not liking the thought of going back to miserable weather but half the time its to hot to go outside here anyway.
rambling post i know - any feedback would be great
It must be hard when you actually love a place and your having to think of moving, if you love your life in America can you not move to another part of the country that can offer you more in the way of work and with similar weather? not sure as I have never been to the US but what about the bigger states where there might be more work on offer, ie California,Texas etc....I met an expat who had moved back to Britain (Scotland) the other day and all she did was moan about the weather, housing etc how she knew it would be like this etc and I just asked in all innocence why did she come back and she just said work no other reason now I know money makes the world go around but if I really did not want to come back to a Country where I knew before I left I would not like a lot of things about it then I would do anything I could to stay where I was....I would think (not they you have not) hard about what you really want and try make a list.....to's - for's, do your homework about other States for your line of work etc and cost of living in those States, think of your Children as well (not that you don't) will they be happy if they could get work, do they want to go back to the UK because things are not great for you at the moment or do they just want to go back because they prefer life in the UK if so and you decide to stay you might have your Children moving back on day....thats the trouble with migration....we tend to think of different things and situations...Good luck and take care...try and take as long as you can to think things through and try to be honest (about your feelings regards to the move) if you all sit down and have a talk, when you make a decision then stay positive about what you decide.