British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Thinking about it... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/thinking-about-601874/)

Steveandjudith Apr 5th 2009 1:44 pm

Thinking about it...

Hi folks, Im new here and have a couple of questions to ask about emigrating to the US.

Since an early age I've wanted to live in the US and having turned 33 this month I have finally decided to give it serious thought. The only things holding me back are the fact that Ill be leaving friends and family behind and the fact that some people have said that it is hard to get into the states and you have to be either qualified to the hilt or have a trade precious to the US (I have neither as far as I can tell), I also have a wife and a child that will of course be coming with me, will they be allowed to come over too?

Anyway, if anyone can give me any tips about this or anything else then I wouold be gratefully appreciated!

Steve :)

penguinsix Apr 5th 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Thinking about it...

Start here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

If you can't find one of these visas, you aren't going to be able to come and live here.

Sorry to be blunt, but there are hucksters and scammers out there who will try to sell 'immigration services' in the hopes you'll give them £500 and they'll send away your forms (which they know have no chance of success).

But take a look at those visas and see if you can qualify. One thing many forget is that you can work for a large multi-national in the UK and work toward getting transfered to their US offices (a popular option to come over). Still, about 99.9% of the people who say 'I want to live in the USA' cannot get past this visa hurdle.

Xebedee Apr 5th 2009 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Steveandjudith (Post 7453294)
Hi folks, Im new here and have a couple of questions to ask about emigrating to the US.

Since an early age I've wanted to live in the US and having turned 33 this month I have finally decided to give it serious thought. The only things holding me back are the fact that Ill be leaving friends and family behind and the fact that some people have said that it is hard to get into the states and you have to be either qualified to the hilt or have a trade precious to the US (I have neither as far as I can tell), I also have a wife and a child that will of course be coming with me, will they be allowed to come over too?

Anyway, if anyone can give me any tips about this or anything else then I wouold be gratefully appreciated!

Thought about Canada instead? Its actually quite similar to the US in some ways and you can holiday in America far easier than from England.
They are correct, by the way; its hard to get in here unless you are educated or rich. Or connected.

dbj1000 Apr 5th 2009 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Steveandjudith (Post 7453294)

The only thing holding you back is your lack of a visa... and your British wife.

Without the option to marry a US citizen (...I assume it's not an option?) your chances of making it to the US with a visa are very, very slim.

Steveandjudith Apr 5th 2009 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 7453303)
Thought about Canada instead? Its actually quite similar to the US in some ways and you can holiday in America far easier than from England.
They are correct, by the way; its hard to get in here unless you are educated or rich. Or connected.

Is it easier to get into Canada? Jeez I didnt realise it was that hard to get into the states, to think they wil let any man and his dog into the UK (even convicted criminals are coming over here now), and we are a decent, hardworking Family that just want the chance to live in a decent country!!

Steve :(

Steveandjudith Apr 5th 2009 2:27 pm

Actually thats shocked and disappointed me to be honest, why is it so hard? its not as if we are totally foreign to each other, the states is such a big place! I bet if I was a Romanian or Afghan Id be welcomed with open arms!

Englishtart Apr 5th 2009 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Steveandjudith (Post 7453334)
Is it easier to get into Canada? Jeez I didnt realise it was that hard to get into the states, to think they wil let any man and his dog into the UK (even convicted criminals are coming over here now), and we are a decent, hardworking Family that just want the chance to live in a decent country!!

Why would you think it 'should' be easy? The US has many problems too, it's not a perfect Country, there are lots of decent hardworking families here right now that are struggling to keep their homes, jobs and health care etc. I can understand why you feel frustrated at finding out it isn't as easy as just buying a plane ticket. From what I read on here (daily) lots of Brits think the same way you do. You have other options as far as getting out of the UK if you feel that strongly about it, but you really do need to do a lot of research, on here and Wiki, I'm sure after you have looked into it a lot more, you will maybe have second thoughts.
Good Luck.

Xebedee Apr 5th 2009 4:05 pm

Remember that club-thing called the Commonwealth? ;)
America isn't in it because of 1776.

Decent hardworking families are getting rarer these days and they are slowly and surely getting the shaft over here as well, you know. :mad: You'd be just as equally shocked by the lack of a safety net under our feet here that you take for granted every day in England.

Child benefit.
Free medical.
State pension.
Employee rights.
- and a myriad of other everyday things.

Strongly suggest you check out the Canadian forum and educate yourelf about places like Toronto, Quebec or Montreal. British Columbia is lovely, if you don't mind being 6k miles instead of 3k from family.

Just change your direction is all.

Good luck.

meauxna Apr 5th 2009 5:12 pm

to think they wil let any man and his dog into the UK (even convicted criminals are coming over here now), and we are a decent, hardworking Family that just want the chance to live in a decent country!!

That isn't completely true. I'm American. If I wanted to move to the UK, I couldn't just because I want to. And without the UK husband, I really wouldn't have a chance.

Originally Posted by Steveandjudith (Post 7453345)
Actually thats shocked and disappointed me to be honest, why is it so hard? its not as if we are totally foreign to each other, the states is such a big place! I bet if I was a Romanian or Afghan Id be welcomed with open arms!

-10 for not specifically mentioning our 'special relationship'. :p
Romanians and Afghans are not welcomed with open arms, but if you want to try an "asylum" case because your own homeland is so intolerable, there might be some charity for you here. :)

US immigration policy is built primarily on the theme of family reunification. Most of the immigrant visa numbers allowed each year go to some sort of family relationship.

ChelleyP Apr 5th 2009 5:12 pm

I am a hard-working American and believe me- it was NO picnic for me to get a visa to come live in the UK.

Steveandjudith Apr 5th 2009 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by ChelleyP (Post 7453609)
I am a hard-working American and believe me- it was NO picnic for me to get a visa to come live in the UK.

Bizarre isnt it when we are filling our country up with uneducated oafs and thieves who have no intention of ever working from Africa, pakistan and other low rent countries, but decent people who speak english and are prepared to work and pay into soceity are refused repeatedly!!

meauxna Apr 5th 2009 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by ChelleyP (Post 7453609)
I am a hard-working American

Oh! Maybe that's where I've gone wrong.... :lol:

tonrob Apr 5th 2009 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7453608)
That isn't completely true. I'm American. If I wanted to move to the UK, I couldn't just because I want to. And without the UK husband, I really wouldn't have a chance.

Look, I've told you already. I'm taken...

Jaxbar Apr 5th 2009 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Steveandjudith (Post 7453612)
Bizarre isnt it when we are filling our country up with uneducated oafs and thieves who have no intention of ever working from Africa, pakistan and other low rent countries, but decent people who speak english and are prepared to work and pay into soceity are refused repeatedly!!

Uneducated, ignorant racists should stay where they are, so please do...

meauxna Apr 5th 2009 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Steveandjudith (Post 7453612)

How did you sneak that in there!?!

I don't want to pay in! I want to move there for the free health care and all the public transportation!