British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Things you wish you knew! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/things-you-wish-you-knew-246209/)

sanj2010 Aug 4th 2004 10:26 am

Things you wish you knew!

We will be moving to the US in a couple of months and I just wondered if there were things you wish you knew before you moved over to the US.

Any tips/advice?!

Manc Aug 4th 2004 1:31 pm

Pollyfilla is called spackling, not pollyfilla.
don't go into a hardware store asking for polyfilla, you'll just look strange.

Chopper-Chris Aug 4th 2004 1:33 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
Pollyfilla is called spackling, not pollyfilla.
don't go into a hardware store asking for polyfilla, you'll just look strange.
If an old guy tells you that his suspenders are too tight...

he means that he needs to adjust his braces.

:eek:

Chopper-Chris Aug 4th 2004 1:34 pm

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
If an old guy tells you that his suspenders are too tight...

he means that he needs to adjust his braces.

:eek:
Oh, and when you go to the DMV for a license or registration for the car...

take a book and a pillow, you're in for a long wait

Ash UK/US Aug 4th 2004 5:26 pm

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
Oh, and when you go to the DMV for a license or registration for the car...

take a book and a pillow, you're in for a long wait
Same goes for the social security office :rolleyes:

Ash :)

Duncan Roberts Aug 4th 2004 6:17 pm

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
Same goes for the social security office :rolleyes:

Actually, for both I've had pretty good experiences. No more than 10 mins at each place, and I've been to both more than once.

Now, the USCIS office is a different story! :scared:

Manc Aug 4th 2004 6:24 pm

Re: Things you wish you knew!

Originally posted by sanj2010
We will be moving to the US in a couple of months and I just wondered if there were things you wish you knew before you moved over to the US.

Any tips/advice?!
Refills on soft drinks are not free, they lull you into thinking they are, but you will be arrested for stealing pop if you don't pay for them. This tactic is used as to raise bail monies for the local counties.

Insist that you pay for that 2nd and 3rd glass of Coke. Do Not take no for an answer. Indeed tip them generously for adding the price of the extra soda to the bill.

rincewind Aug 4th 2004 6:40 pm

You don't have to pay for gas.

Watch as people pull up, fill their cars and just drive off without going inside to pay.

:D :D :D

LuTziE Aug 4th 2004 6:48 pm

dont pay for anything at all !!!
it isnt called the land of the free for nothing.

plus be sure to bum a fag off someone, they will be glad you asked.

ironporer Aug 4th 2004 6:49 pm

$20 worth of roses gets you a lot more than $100 worth of movie, dinner and drinks.

Ash UK/US Aug 4th 2004 7:18 pm

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
Actually, for both I've had pretty good experiences. No more than 10 mins at each place, and I've been to both more than once.

Now, the USCIS office is a different story! :scared:
Luckly you! I had to go to the SS office twice and both times I was there almost 2 hours... When I went to get my learners permit at the sec of state office I was there about 40 mins... queue was right back to the entrance. We won't even go there about the INS office... that is the worst of all !!!

Manc Aug 4th 2004 7:51 pm

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
Luckly you! I had to go to the SS office twice and both times I was there almost 2 hours... When I went to get my learners permit at the sec of state office I was there about 40 mins... queue was right back to the entrance. We won't even go there about the INS office... that is the worst of all !!!

the detroit office is f**king awful innit?

Duncan Roberts Aug 4th 2004 7:56 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
the detroit office is f**king awful innit?

What a difference between the "main" room and the room where you get your biometrics done.
Nice big TV, magazines, helpful ppeople you can walk up to, pens, colouring books and toys for kids. Why can't they both be like that!

Leslie Aug 4th 2004 8:01 pm

All of the beaches are nude friendly.

Manc Aug 4th 2004 8:08 pm

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
What a difference between the "main" room and the room where you get your biometrics done.
Nice big TV, magazines, helpful ppeople you can walk up to, pens, colouring books and toys for kids. Why can't they both be like that!
you on about the other place up the road in the strip mall? only went there once for my fingerprints.......

Big Vern Aug 4th 2004 10:13 pm

Last week at the Bellevue DMV it took me three and a half hours to take my knowledge test on Tuesday, and four and a half on Friday to take my practical test.

The place opened at 8:30am Friday, I got there at 7:30am and there were 25 people in front of me.....

Mind you, when I took the test, I forgot the hand signals, I made a real mess of the reverse round a corner, mounted the kerb while parallel parking, failed to stop at a Stop sign, and completely forgot to use a turn lane while turning left, irate motorists blowing their horns and giving me the finger.

I got 90% and passed with flying colours!

I think you only fail if you run the examiner over before they get in the car....

Big Vern Aug 4th 2004 10:51 pm

... it wouldn't be so bad but I've been driving for 15 years...

I think I was having a bit of an off day!! :D