Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things you should do before you emigrate ?

Things you should do before you emigrate ?

Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you should do before you emigrate ?

Originally Posted by Sharron_
I never knew that a US cup was different to a UK cup!! (Don't tell me...the US cup is bigger!!!)
LOL

According to the following link, I was wrong about the Oz cup size. Hmmm.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/conve...converter.html
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

I never knew that a US cup was different to a UK cup!! (Don't tell me...the US cup is bigger!!!)
1 US cup is 0.06 cups bigger than the metric :P
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:53 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

a cup is 8 fl oz - (half a us pint). a uk pint is 20 fl oz - the us version is only 16.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MsElui
a cup is 8 fl oz - (half a us pint). a uk pint is 20 fl oz - the us version is only 16.
So if we order a pint of beer here, we are getting ripped off!!!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

So if we order a pint of beer here, we are getting ripped off!!!
And a gallon of gas.

Did you sort out your green cards?
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
And a gallon of gas.

Did you sort out your green cards?
I am going to the USCIS tomorrow.

As a last resort I will get her citizenship if all else fails. My hubby...her daddy is a USC.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:46 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to the USCIS tomorrow.

As a last resort I will get her citizenship if all else fails. My hubby...her daddy is a USC.
Good luck its Saturday
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
3. Douse yourself in water and then stand in front of a hot oven with the door open and a pair of mouse ears on, that should help you get acclimatised to Orlando.

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I always hit the John before any long trip.

Originally Posted by rebs
Prior to our move to the US last year, I spoke to the nurse at our dr's surgery about the hep b vaccine for my son and she advised us to wait until we got to the US as we didn't have enough time to complete the course of 3 before we left.

She said that in some places, it's advised that the whole course is from the same vaccine manufacturer - maybe if we had started the course, we wouldn't have been able to continue, but would have had to start from scratch?
God don't say that! My son has had his 1st dose of Hep B and getting 2nd dose in 2 weeks then the final in US. Nurse here made no mention of there being any problems with starting it in UK and finishing in US. I am waiting for them to remember that they said they would charge me for the shots and medical. No bill yet!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

travelleruk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by travelleruk
...I'm moving to Orlando, Florida, USA in a couple of months from the UK. I'm organising and planning the move and want to make sure i'm not missing anything off my list of 'tasks to complete in the UK before I leave'.

Just wondering about those people who have already done an international move...is there anything you wish you'd done BEFORE you left the UK that you wish you had ?

Just for example..somebody who had moved abroad said he'd wished he'd applied for his International Driving Licence while he was still in the UK. Another said they'd wished they'd done more shopping for clothes in the UK because US fashion is so different...

So do you have a list of things that one shouldn't forget to do before leaving the UK ?
Thanks for all your responses. I have a green card so visa's arent an issue...and no kids. I'll look for a job once I arrive. So if anybody has any more "things i wish i'd done before i left the UK" tips...I'm all ears !
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Only in LA and Dallas
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:48 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelleruk
Thanks for all your responses. I have a green card so visa's arent an issue...and no kids. I'll look for a job once I arrive. So if anybody has any more "things i wish i'd done before i left the UK" tips...I'm all ears !
If you are single, and have a GC the worlds your oyster.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

gingerkitten will become famous soon enoughgingerkitten will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MsElui
eat bacon or sausage sandwiches for EVERY meal between now and then - so you are truely sick of the sight of them by the time you leave - then you will not miss them so much when your over here!
THIS might have to be the best advice I have ever seen, ever! Had I known how much I would be pining for a few rashers of back bacon between a couple of slices of Mother's Pride (umm, actually I don't think I've bought Mother's Pride more than about twice in my life, but you know what I mean) once I moved here, I would've been sure to force-feed myself bacon sarnies until I could never stomach another of the things again. Ever.

Same goes for the sausages. I never even liked sausages all that much until I moved here, never bought them, never wanted them, couldn't care less. Now... I'm pretty much salivating at the thought of a proper pork sausage, ANY proper pork sausage, even the crappy ones from the corner shop or the Esso station, with lots of HP and... uhhh, actually I AM salivating.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
This is a very usefull website for alternative phone numbers.

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Use the search facility in the top left.
Thanks

Unfortunately this was no help - three different numbers I tried were not for the organisation I was attempting to contact.