Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things you should do before you emigrate ?

Things you should do before you emigrate ?

Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you should do before you emigrate ?

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Its not looking good the OP has not returned
I noticed that too, but it's only been 24 hrs. She hasn't yet developed her BE addiction
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:33 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I noticed that too, but it's only been 24 hrs. She hasn't yet developed her BE addiction
Or the visa situation might be a set back
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:36 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Can you explain why they weren't acceptable? I've never come across that before. Was it the records of them rather than the shots themselves that they didn't like?

probably more to do with the type of vaccine used; some countries use live vaccines and others do not.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meryl
probably more to do with the type of vaccine used; some countries use live vaccines and others do not.
Are you thinking Salk v Sabin for polio? Both are acceptable.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:53 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

Are you thinking Salk v Sabin for polio? Both are acceptable.
lol, I was actually thinking of my cat and her rabies vaccine
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Prior to our move to the US last year, I spoke to the nurse at our dr's surgery about the hep b vaccine for my son and she advised us to wait until we got to the US as we didn't have enough time to complete the course of 3 before we left.

She said that in some places, it's advised that the whole course is from the same vaccine manufacturer - maybe if we had started the course, we wouldn't have been able to continue, but would have had to start from scratch?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meryl
lol, I was actually thinking of my cat and her rabies vaccine
oooooo OK
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Can you explain why they weren't acceptable? I've never come across that before. Was it the records of them rather than the shots themselves that they didn't like?
They probably "weren't acceptable" because that wouldn't make them any money.

The ones they were trying to charge money for were "acceptable" to them.

Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

chocchipcookie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Ohio where they are very difficult about everything. It was the polio and the hepatitus that caused problems. Honestly, my experience has been that if it's not done in the US (qualifications, vaccinations, legal forms) then there's going to be a problem somewhere down the line...
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:46 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I'd traveled around Europe a bit, it's a hell of a long flight back there now and I'd have to visit friends and relatives whilst I was there so wouldn't really get as much stuff done as I'd like.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocchipcookie
I'm in Ohio where they are very difficult about everything. It was the polio and the hepatitus that caused problems. Honestly, my experience has been that if it's not done in the US (qualifications, vaccinations, legal forms) then there's going to be a problem somewhere down the line...
The hep B is a series of 3 vaccines normally, did your child have the full course before you left the UK?

They give the polio in an injection here, in the UK it was orally when my kids had it, don't know if its still the same or not. No one questioned it here, I'm sorry you had trouble though.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I wish I'd traveled around Europe a bit, it's a hell of a long flight back there now and I'd have to visit friends and relatives whilst I was there so wouldn't really get as much stuff done as I'd like.
That's a good point, I didn't even see all the places in the UK I would like to visit now.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:07 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

Afternoon tea at the Ritz.

There is something wonderful and 'olde worlde' about the idea of dressing up in the daytime, and eating tiny sandwiches and scones in those surroundings.

Has anyone been?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you cook/bake a lot, buy plastic measuring jugs and spoons to use for your British recipes.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

If you cook/bake a lot, buy plastic measuring jugs and spoons to use for your British recipes.
yes! and take a set of kitchen scales with you, you can get them here but people tend to measure in cups and quarts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.