Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things you should do before you emigrate ?

Things you should do before you emigrate ?

Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:01 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things you should do before you emigrate ?

Originally Posted by meauxna
Madam, that has not been supported by scientific method. Don't make me call tonrob in here!

Oh God.

It's NOT that bad.....really.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Madam, that has not been supported by scientific method. Don't make me call tonrob in here!
Go get him, I'm not scared
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior
Oh God.

It's NOT that bad.....really.
you are Welsh, are you really qualified

just kidding boyo
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelleruk
Another said they'd wished they'd done more shopping for clothes in the UK because US fashion is so different.
I suggest not shopping for more clothes in the UK... unless, of course, you actually want to look like a foreigner with no sense of taste in clothes.

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:08 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

Originally Posted by Englishtart
you are Welsh, are you really qualified

just kidding boyo
Coming from one from over the border, I suggest I am more qualified than you

It's not called 'Gods Country' for nothing.

kidding too butt!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
DONT get an international driving license if your current license is in English.
worth doing if you only have the old paper license without the photo though.

Anyway, this question has been asked loads, so quite a lot of past threads worth searching out, even some info in the wiki.

And recommendations will depend on personal situation, have kids or not? company transfer or not etc.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:18 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

eat bacon or sausage sandwiches for EVERY meal between now and then - so you are truely sick of the sight of them by the time you leave - then you will not miss them so much when your over here!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I suggest not shopping for more clothes in the UK... unless, of course, you actually want to look like a foreigner with no sense of taste in clothes.

Ian
Ha ha. My little 6 year old American nephew asked me the other day "Why do you wear such funny clothes?'
I guess he means because i don't wear a sports team t-shirt, blue jeans, white trainers/tennis shoes every single day like his dad.
I did buy a bunch of clothes before I left and I usually buy stuff when i go back to visit. I don't care what all the 6 year olds say, I'm sticking with it.

Some good advice here. I'll add - Try and get your loved ones that you are leaving behind set up with Skype or something else before you leave. Giving instructions to my parents to get it all set up by phone/email from acrosss the Atlantic was a very long and frustrating experience (that might just be my parents though?) But when they finally did it has made such a difference in being able to stay in touch.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:00 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

Originally Posted by orangemirror
Ha ha. My little 6 year old American nephew asked me the other day "Why do you wear such funny clothes?'
I guess he means because i don't wear a sports team t-shirt, blue jeans, white trainers/tennis shoes every single day like his dad.
I did buy a bunch of clothes before I left and I usually buy stuff when i go back to visit. I don't care what all the 6 year olds say, I'm sticking with it.

Some good advice here. I'll add - Try and get your loved ones that you are leaving behind set up with Skype or something else before you leave. Giving instructions to my parents to get it all set up by phone/email from acrosss the Atlantic was a very long and frustrating experience (that might just be my parents though?) But when they finally did it has made such a difference in being able to stay in touch.
One word - VONAGE
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coming from one from over the border, I suggest I am more qualified than you
Of course you are
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One word - VONAGE
Good word
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

chocchipcookie is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be wary of UK vaccinations: I had my son vaccinated in the UK only to find when I got here (Ohio) that those shots weren't 'acceptable' and I had to get some of them re-done. If I were you I would wait until I got here and go to my local county health dept and get them done for $5.00 each. That's the cost round here, anyway and you just walk in. Then you know they're OK.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

chocchipcookie is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, put your address book on mailing labels. Then just click and print for change of address and Christmas. This has saved me hours of time over the years.

Remember to add 'UK'.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:21 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Its not looking good the OP has not returned
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocchipcookie
I would be wary of UK vaccinations: I had my son vaccinated in the UK only to find when I got here (Ohio) that those shots weren't 'acceptable' and I had to get some of them re-done. If I were you I would wait until I got here and go to my local county health dept and get them done for $5.00 each. That's the cost round here, anyway and you just walk in. Then you know they're OK.
Can you explain why they weren't acceptable? I've never come across that before. Was it the records of them rather than the shots themselves that they didn't like?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.