Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

things you don't miss about "Old Blighty"

Wikiposts

things you don't miss about "Old Blighty"

Old Dec 2nd 2013, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: things you don't miss about "Old Blighty"

Originally Posted by Steve_

Also the typically British superior attitude, not everyone has it but it's not hard to see how Britain ended up with an Empire.
According to a long list of proven facts contained in one of today's UK national newspapers (Mon 02/12/13) was this little gem:

Only 22 of all countries in the world have never been invaded by the British, but of those that were invaded by the British were those countries who were being invaded by the British - along with other powers - as a means of liberating them from occupation by enemy military forces in wartime, as was the case during WW2.

The same list includes another little gem, nothing to do with snobbish Britons...more to do with an official report issued by the renowned British Standards Board, containing just over 5,000 words, focused solely on the issue of the correct way to make a cup of tea.

Only the British could produce anything as bizarre as that one. A cup of tea...nothing could be simpler.......

"Switch on kettle....drop tea bag in mug...kettle boils.....pour into mug....stir tea bag around in for a while.....withdraw soggy tea bag and dispose.....add milk/sugar as required...stir"...

...and that's it

33 words in all.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 11:26 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I don't miss the constant negativity and incessant dissing of their own country.

I find the American who says "Only in America ..." is often talking up the US (albeit in a parochial, ignorant and tedious fashion), but the Brit who says "Only in the UK ..." is always talking the UK down.

I listen to my friends when I go back, all of whom have done very well over the past 10 years - detached houses in the south, swimming pools, Range Rovers/Cayenne's, private schools for kids, tiny mortgages due to low interest rates, multiple ski holidays - and they all moan like f*%k about how bad the UK is (and it isn't social conscience for lowly paid). They have been like this for at least 10-15 years, as have my mother and relatives

It's basically ingrained in the psyche that the UK is crap/going down the pan/to hell in a handbasket/ regardless of any objective evidence.

After a few week's back I want to top myself.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I don't miss the constant negativity and incessant dissing of their own country.

I find the American who says "Only in America ..." is often talking up the US (albeit in a parochial, ignorant and tedious fashion), but the Brit who says "Only in the UK ..." is always talking the UK down.

I listen to my friends when I go back, all of whom have done very well over the past 10 years - detached houses in the south, swimming pools, Range Rovers/Cayenne's, private schools for kids, tiny mortgages due to low interest rates, multiple ski holidays - and they all moan like f*%k about how bad the UK is (and it isn't social conscience for lowly paid). They have been like this for at least 10-15 years, as have my mother and relatives

It's basically ingrained in the psyche that the UK is crap/going down the pan/to hell in a handbasket/ regardless of any objective evidence.

After a few week's back I want to top myself.
I agree that is a very bad development over there.

Even if challenged that things aren't quite as dire as they make out - "Well they will be in 10 years!"
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 11:48 am
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

Kind of tenuously connected to the post above another thing I don't miss the the English press building up the England football team when they qualify for a major tournament (World Cup, European Chairmanships), then tearing them down after they get put out. I am as you can imagine a Northern Ireland supporter, our press, as bad as they are, I think have accepted Northern Ireland's mediocrity and hence they just make up excuses like uncommitted player, and the Republic of Ireland stealing out players and bad managers.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 11:48 am
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah and on that note the British tabloid press
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there will be that problem next year somehow LOL
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

"Switch on kettle....drop tea bag in mug...kettle boils.....pour into mug....stir tea bag around in for a while.....withdraw soggy tea bag and dispose.....add milk/sugar as required...stir"...
You put the water in before the milk? Wars have been fought over less
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

I was back home for a couple of weeks in September and that was the one thing that got on my nerves. I almost lost it with one kid who was working at a hotel we were staying at. He came with some crack about "at least you escaped this sh*thole". Yes sunshine. If you "escaped" you'd be working 80+ hours a week at 3 jobs, making minimum wage at least. You'd have no health insurance and wouldn't be able to go to the doctor or dentist, let alone afford any prescriptions. You could be sacked at any time for any reason with no notice or redundancy pay. You'd have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get a degree to get a job you could do with GCSEs in the UK. You'd get 10 days a year vacation IF you're lucky. More likely you'd get zero.
Then again what do I know. His granny had taken him to Disney in Florida for his 18th (!) birthday and it was the best place EVER!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, my (USC) wife often says "only in America" in response to the latest chicken-wrapped-in burgers-or-vice-versa food monstrosity or GOP ****wittery. Or as her sister likes to say in similar circumstances "America, **** yeah."
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
True, an gyro is folded like a sandwich, whereas a doner kebab has a pocket cut into the flat bread, which is then filled with a meat-like substance, salad, and chilli. The kebab flat bread I am used to is smaller in area that an gyro flat bread, but necessarily thicker and slightly tougher, to accommodate being cut, separated, and stuffed.
This wikipedia article seems to confirm what you are saying, though they do also show a 'wrapped' version ('Doner Kebab in a durum') picture in the 'Germany' section.

For those of you desiring a good old 'doner kebab', you may try asking for a 'shawarma', which (per the article above) is just another version of the doner kebab.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 3:51 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I dunno, my (USC) wife often says "only in America" in response to the latest chicken-wrapped-in burgers-or-vice-versa food monstrosity or GOP ****wittery. Or as her sister likes to say in similar circumstances "America, **** yeah."
Maybe some Brit has rubbed-off?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The food area of Camden Market is fantastic now
Try Borough Market, in Southwark......
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:39 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
So? Doesn't that say more about you and your level of (ie, lack there of) concentration than the roads?
No, it says more concentration is needed to drive down the roads in the UK which is why I don't like driving down them. Some of them are like obstacle courses and very windy. Besides the use of the word "you" in the title of the thread would seem to imply a personal preference.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:47 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

But in Canada the national pastime is obtaining objective evidence.

Honestly I have lost count of the number of times over the years people have told me that Dr Scholl's shoe inserts cost less in the US. I even remember a couple quoted in the Calgary Herald who had driven all the way from Edmonton to Great Falls (500+ miles) and this was what they mentioned they had bought.

I wonder sometimes if there is some epidemic of people with bad feet in Canada. Or perhaps it's because the shoes cost more and they can't afford decent ones.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:57 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
No, it says more concentration is needed to drive down the roads in the UK which is why I don't like driving down them. Some of them are like obstacle courses and very windy.
Driving American roads is just so god damn boring, it's also why the general level of driving is so abysmal. They're all in their shitty full automatic cars drinking coffee and doing anything other than actually watching what they're doing.

It outrages me, mostly because a car is a death machine in the wrong hands (ie, a distracted driver). If British roads keep your attention, then GOOD, you can't be distracted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.