Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Old Jun 11th 2011, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
I don't know whether it's on a state by state rule, but I thought it was illegal to sell pre-used mattresses?
Not heard of that...but isn't that what the labels are for? All new mattresses must have the labels attached.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

spiraluk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
All I brought over was the Audio & Graphics cards from my PC, along with the hard drive from it, which also contained all of my CD's which I ripped prior to taking the real things to the 2nd hand CD store.

I bought a barebones PC shortly after arriving, and re-burned the music to disc. Yeah, the music part is wrong.
I would have though PC's would work fine in the US?? Am I wrong?
Old Jun 11th 2011, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spiraluk
The hard drives should work just fine... it's the power supply that'll likely do the damage!

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

spiraluk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The hard drives should work just fine... it's the power supply that'll likely do the damage!

Ian
I was guessing that if I just changed that then it should work ok then?
Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I was guessing that if I just changed that then it should work ok then?
The powers supplies in just about all PCs will work in the UK or US. If you are unlucky enough to have just a 240v supply in your computer, you can just buy a power supply here and swap it out. The power supplies step down the voltage anyway to 5v or 12v.

Might still be worth carrying the HD in your pocket so you have all you data safe and accessible until your PC arrives. You can always plug the HD into another PC here pro chm.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

For people wanting bring duvets,covers or clothes may I suggest the following.
Place items in a largish bin bag, just not too much.
Place the mouth of the small extra piping off the hoover into said bag.
Attach to and switch on hoover and when the size and air are sucked out ....Have ready string and roll of 2 " sellotape or packing tape.
Put string around the narrowed enrty into the bag and tie off quickly as you pull the nozzle of the hoover out..(need two people ) then quickly tape all round to stop it inflating again .At your destination all you do is rip the bin bag and everything expands back to normal.
Size is reduced but weight stays the same.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
For people wanting bring duvets,covers or clothes may I suggest the following.
Place items in a largish bin bag, just not too much.
Place the mouth of the small extra piping off the hoover into said bag.
Attach to and switch on hoover and when the size and air are sucked out ....Have ready string and roll of 2 " sellotape or packing tape.
Put string around the narrowed enrty into the bag and tie off quickly as you pull the nozzle of the hoover out..(need two people ) then quickly tape all round to stop it inflating again .At your destination all you do is rip the bin bag and everything expands back to normal.
Size is reduced but weight stays the same.
Nifty trick....and much cheaper than those crap "space saver" bags that always rip or re-inflate anyway
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Nifty trick....and much cheaper than those crap "space saver" bags that always rip or re-inflate anyway
Yeah I packed the car with daughter's college stuff that way. Problem is they burst much easier than the real deal.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
The powers supplies in just about all PCs will work in the UK or US. If you are unlucky enough to have just a 240v supply in your computer, you can just buy a power supply here and swap it out. The power supplies step down the voltage anyway to 5v or 12v.

Might still be worth carrying the HD in your pocket so you have all you data safe and accessible until your PC arrives. You can always plug the HD into another PC here pro chm.
I was worried about this but its fine - ive just a basic compaq laptop bought from Tesco and no problems at all
Old Jun 12th 2011, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yeah I packed the car with daughter's college stuff that way. Problem is they burst much easier than the real deal.
Therein lies the prob ! you packed the car I used heavy duty ones but didnt overfill them and had no problem.I did use a bit of parcel tape,if I'd been stopped it would looked as if i was transporting 'stuff ' up from Mexico
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Most power supplies have a 110v-230v switch on them, including the one in the PC that the hard drive came from. I could have shipped the PC, it's monitor & all of my music, but felt that taking it's identity & my music in digital form was more cost effective.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 3:34 am
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

I bought all my PCs over. all I did was buy new PSUs for them. (Check on the back to see if there's a voltage switch.)
Old Jun 15th 2011, 3:44 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Also ensure that you bring your British Passport with an expiry date many years into the future. I don't know if you've spotted the thread here about the fiasco regarding getting new passports from the British Embassy in Washington DC?

Best to get a replacement passport if you need it issued in the UK and not in the US!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 3:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Also ensure that you bring your British Passport with an expiry date many years into the future. I don't know if you've spotted the thread here about the fiasco regarding getting new passports from the British Embassy in Washington DC?

Best to get a replacement passport if you need it issued in the UK and not in the US!
OK granted this year has been a fiasco trying to renew or receive a new UK PP...but normally it only takes a couple of weeks. Hopefully when the process is moved to the UK the length of time to get a PP will be back to a few weeks.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Serocca is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mattw89
Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to Seattle in July.

I've been here the past 3 weeks in a hotel.

Now I go home tomorrow to have a month of sorting and doing all that kind of random paperwork and stuff.

I currently live with parents (I finished uni last May then went to work for a cruise line for past 10 months before taking this job...)

The salary is very good for me, although its expensive here. I didnt get much relocation, 7k$. But I was hoping to use that for furnishing as I'll have nothing.

I'm not going to bother bringing TV over or kitchen stuff or things like that.

My playstation and electronic stuff is already here which i would need.

SO

All i have on my list is clothes :S

I'm sure there'll be other stuff, but i doubt i'll return to the UK for another year or two.

So wanted some words of wisdom, advice, considerations or things that you think i should bring over or things you may have indeed forgot or thought in retrospect about.

Also things that i may want that aren't available here in the USA but do not no yet...

Bla bla sorry to ramble on I'm sure the basic premise has come over now so i'll just leave it to you guys, thank you all for continued input on this forum - it's fantastic.
Hi, I am also a Brit in Seattle, been here since April, love it! Dont forget Marmite! Its $8 for a tiny 4oz jar! I just got one shipped from 'Marmite Pantry' online... Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.