Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Originally Posted by TimberHut
I know quite a few people who have traveled with N+ in their bags. Never been an issue.

Use a bit of common sense - ie don't bring 256 boxes of the stuff in one separate suitcase and you'll be fine.

Backing up and then selling those CD's though.... <deep breath sound>
It won't be a problem unless the contents are searched...

How can you say 'you'll be fine'...when you are not allowed to bring codeine into the US? You are telling people to take a risk...a risk that you don't know what the outcome could be.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:31 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It won't be a problem unless the contents are searched...

How can you say 'you'll be fine'...when you are not allowed to bring codeine into the US? You are telling people to take a risk...a risk that you don't know what the outcome could be.
I am with JerseyGirl on this one the last thing you want to do is !@#$@# off the authorities at border control.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I know quite a few people who have traveled with N+ in their bags. Never been an issue.
It's easy to be cavalier with advice when you're not the one who might pay the price. Codeine is a Schedule II narcotic in the US. Screw around with your own life if you want, but don't screw around with someone else's.

Ian
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sh*t....

So, is there a list of medicines that it is legal to have across the EU, but which the US prohibits ?

We have Solpadeine (soluble paracetamol and codeine), Medised, soluble paracetamol (why can't you get soluble acetamenophin here ?)

Now we're worried that half of what we have in the medicine cabinet is perfectly legal just about everywhere but here !!!!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
Oh sh*t....

So, is there a list of medicines that it is legal to have across the EU, but which the US prohibits ?

We have Solpadeine (soluble paracetamol and codeine), Medised, soluble paracetamol (why can't you get soluble acetamenophin here ?)

Now we're worried that half of what we have in the medicine cabinet is perfectly legal just about everywhere but here !!!!
In the UK kaolin and morphine was well know for easing upset stomachs. Years ago when we were in Florida my husband asked a pharmacist for it...the guy nearly collapsed.

Sorry I can't remember the name but the US Gov have a website which state what you are not allowed to bring into the US. Google is your friend.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

OK - to the original poster - don't bring any medicine at all as it's probably illegal...

(as an aside - my wife & I brought back 4 boxes of N+ last time we were in the UK - didn't even think about it & nor did any customs people).
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

OK - to the original poster - don't bring any medicine at all as it's probably illegal...

(as an aside - my wife & I brought back 4 boxes of N+ last time we were in the UK - didn't even think about it & nor did any customs people).
We didn't say don't bring anything to the US. Just be aware that some things that you can buy in the UK may not be legally allowed in the US.

Of course customs didn't think about it...but I bet you wouldn't be so flippant if they'd searched your bag. If you want to bring illegal substances into the US that's up to you...but please don't recommend that others do so.

BTW there is a clause in the site rules...'describing anything against the law is not allowed'.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 7th 2011 at 9:02 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In the UK kaolin and morphine was well know for easing upset stomachs. Years ago when we were in Florida my husband asked a pharmacist for it...the guy nearly collapsed.

Sorry I can't remember the name but the US Gov have a website which state what you are not allowed to bring into the US. Google is your friend.
I did that here last summer. I ate too much cheesecake and got an upset tum. Becasue I'm on some prescription meds I didn't want to buy anything straight off the shelf so asked the pharmacist. He asked what my meds were and then what I usually take at home. When I said Kaoline and Morphine he started treating me and my Fiancee like we were dangerous junkies and tried to convince me what I needed was peptobismal - wrong kind of upset stomache.

For OP I suggest aftersun lotion and bug repellant, wooden spoons (i can't find any I like) bonus M&S knickers and a proper address book with everyone back homes contact details

Lx
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Fine, but we need to know what is legal/not-legal ! Our relocation people made no reference to day-to-day medicines that are available OTC across the EU that we can't get here, or cost a fortune ($6 for a packet of Aspirin - it's 37p at Boots at Gatwick).

My brother (family NHS GP) told me that he has taken all of these to NZ/Oz/South Africa and across the EU.

I've already had problems finding hay-fever medicine that works TBeconase - nasal steroid is great, but not available OTC here). All very strange.......
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:54 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...restricted.xml

try this site CBP.gov ... hope it helps
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dlake02
Fine, but we need to know what is legal/not-legal ! Our relocation people made no reference to day-to-day medicines that are available OTC across the EU that we can't get here, or cost a fortune ($6 for a packet of Aspirin - it's 37p at Boots at Gatwick).

My brother (family NHS GP) told me that he has taken all of these to NZ/Oz/South Africa and across the EU.

I've already had problems finding hay-fever medicine that works TBeconase - nasal steroid is great, but not available OTC here). All very strange.......
When I lived in the UK my doc prescribed Migraleve for migraines...not it's OTC in the UK. I can't get it in the US...even though it's made a few miles from where I live.

They may have been allowed into those countries...every country has different laws regarding importing meds.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:59 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

[BTW there is a clause in the site rules...'describing anything against the law is not allowed'.[/QUOTE]

oh oh does that mean we can't mention OXO???
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:37 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

For example you can by melatonin OTC over here in the states. My best friend who lives in Ashford and is also a nurse has to get a prescription and a doctors note for it in the UK.

Where would you pay $6.00 for a packet of aspirin? You can get a full bottle of aspirin for just a few dollars here.

Don't risk it. It's not worth it.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:07 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Best advice I got was 'bring half your stuff and twice the money.'
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I would be careful with Goodwill or yard sales beacuse of bedbugs
ooh - I hve never thought about that ...but you are so right - doesnt bear thinking about.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.