Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Are you hinting that this is actually illegal in the UK?
Yes it is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ne/6457369.stm

You must obtain the right owner's permission to move it to a different format. Part of the purchase of the right is an agreement to keep it in that form.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:54 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
But that's only for PA residents...Katybluewater said 'get an International drivers licence - you can drive on this for a year' in reply to someone who will be living in Seattle.
That's right, but I wasn't responding to that statement. Otherwise I would have pointed out that the WA DMV is quite clear on needing a WA license within 30 days of establishing residency, irrespective of what other licenses you may hold.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:04 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Not under US law! The DMCA allows you to burn backup copies of CDs you legally own, provided it's for your own use.

Ian
Originally Posted by rallybug
I think the dodgy area is taking the original CDs to the Used CD store - i.e., not having the originals any more.
I believe that you are still breaking the law if you circumvent copy protection (not an issue on most music CD's) when making back ups.
edit: I think I take that back, I forget the law, having looked at it a year or two ago for work purpose, its all hazy now.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 6th 2011 at 6:15 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katybluewater
Also - get an International drivers licence - you can drive on this for a year - which gives you time to sort out your driving test etc here.
Waste of a tenner...it's only a translation and only handy if you have the old paper license without the photo.

If your state says you need to get a license within a certain amount of time, that's the amount of time you have...very few states give you 12 months and even those, it's often hard to get insurance and it'll be a lot more expensive till you get a local license...plus you're a nobody till you get a license in this country.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I believe that you are still breaking the law if you circumvent copy protection (not an issue on most music CD's) when making back ups.
edit: I think I take that back, I forget the law, having looked at it a year or two ago for work purpose, its all hazy now.
circumventing copy protection is the illegal bit they get you with here....also, back up is only legal if you keep the original copy, you can't flog them off, give them away, or "fair use" a copy to your mates over here.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:47 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

galaxy chocolate lots of ..... dont worry bout anything else!!!!!!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:19 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Bedding/home goods: go to IKEA in Renton, or Bed, Bath and Beyond (we have one downtown and in Northgate). Target is also great. Shop yard sales for furniture, or go to Goodwill, or check freecycle.com.
Naomi.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:36 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naomi
Bedding/home goods: go to IKEA in Renton, or Bed, Bath and Beyond (we have one downtown and in Northgate). Target is also great. Shop yard sales for furniture, or go to Goodwill, or check freecycle.com.
Naomi.
I would be careful with Goodwill or yard sales beacuse of bedbugs
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:42 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I would be careful with Goodwill or yard sales beacuse of bedbugs
you and your New York fauna
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:01 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
you and your New York fauna
It's not just in New York! I'd be careful buying anything secondhand these days!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough

Ikea in Renton is only a short drive and has duvets, covers and all the rest. If you bring both your photocard UK licence and the paper counterpart, you will be able to join zip car (car hire by the hour or day, parked at spots all around the city) which will be useful for trips to IKEA, etc, until you get a car sorted. http://www.zipcar.com/seattle/find-cars

You can only officially drive on your UK licence for 30 days once you move to the state. HOWEVER, I would strongly suggest that you hold off applying for a Washington state licence until after you social security number comes through. If you try to do it before then you get dragged into a ridiculous proof of address procedure which lengthens the process by several weeks and requires multiple trips to the DMV rather than just one. The worst example of pointless bureaucracy I've encountered since moving here. As long as you start the process of getting your WA licence with 30 days you should be fine as they give you a ticket to carry with you that shows you are in the process of sorting it out. There's an iPhone / iPad app that will help you prep for your theory test with practice questions.

You may want to keep a UK mobile on for a few months if you can. At&t don't allow new customers to make international calls during the first 90 days of their contract or (even more annoyingly) use your phone overseas, so if you plan to leave the country within the first 90 days (with the exception of Canada) you could find yourself without a mobile.

Good luck with the move!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Take some boxes of Nurofen Plus (the ones you get from behind the counter in the UK).

The painkillers you can buy (without prescription) in the USA aren't as good.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
Take some boxes of Nurofen Plus (the ones you get from behind the counter in the UK).

The painkillers you can buy (without prescription) in the USA aren't as good.
Not good advice methinks. Nurofen Plus contains codeine which you are not allowed to bring into the US.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:03 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Drugs or medication of any sort seems to be a problem.. my wife swears by Rennies.. great until you bring several packets.. Houston immigration really thought it odd and when they saw the Anadin.. well!!!!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not good advice methinks. Nurofen Plus contains codeine which you are not allowed to bring into the US.
I know quite a few people who have traveled with N+ in their bags. Never been an issue.

Use a bit of common sense - ie don't bring 256 boxes of the stuff in one separate suitcase and you'll be fine.

Backing up and then selling those CD's though.... <deep breath sound>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.