Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

mattw89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to Seattle in July.

I've been here the past 3 weeks in a hotel.

Now I go home tomorrow to have a month of sorting and doing all that kind of random paperwork and stuff.

I currently live with parents (I finished uni last May then went to work for a cruise line for past 10 months before taking this job...)

The salary is very good for me, although its expensive here. I didnt get much relocation, 7k$. But I was hoping to use that for furnishing as I'll have nothing.

I'm not going to bother bringing TV over or kitchen stuff or things like that.

My playstation and electronic stuff is already here which i would need.

SO

All i have on my list is clothes :S

I'm sure there'll be other stuff, but i doubt i'll return to the UK for another year or two.

So wanted some words of wisdom, advice, considerations or things that you think i should bring over or things you may have indeed forgot or thought in retrospect about.

Also things that i may want that aren't available here in the USA but do not no yet...

Bla bla sorry to ramble on I'm sure the basic premise has come over now so i'll just leave it to you guys, thank you all for continued input on this forum - it's fantastic.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

All I brought over was the Audio & Graphics cards from my PC, along with the hard drive from it, which also contained all of my CD's which I ripped prior to taking the real things to the 2nd hand CD store.

I bought a barebones PC shortly after arriving, and re-burned the music to disc. Yeah, the music part is wrong.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few old threads and bits and pieces in the wiki with ideas...a good starting point on things to consider is the relocation package in the wiki as it'll give you ideas on what to set the money aside for, which adds up really quickly when you're setting up, without any US credit history.

Stuff to do, check out all the local museums and what not that you'd always never bothered with as your a local, get photo's of the local pub/park what ever local haunt as it can help with home sickness, especially if you end up staying here longer than expected.

Medical records, especially vaccination records.

Copy of birth certificates and any uni transcripts while they're easy to get.

If your passport is to expire in the next year or so, might as well renew it now, it'll be a lot cheaper, they'll only keep a previous 9 month I think added onto the new one so anything over that will be lost, but you'll be saving a lot of time, hassle and cost.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yeah, my Birth & education certificates and my NHS card also.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
Oh yeah, my Birth & education certificates and my NHS card also.
Your NHS card is no use to you here.

Keep your UK bank account open and at least 1 UK credit card.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:37 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

OK you might laugh....but at least a couple of nice duvet covers (maybe even a duvet as well).

Americans mainly seem to use 'comforters' eg. polyester/cotton 'duvets' with a built-in cover (usually horrible designs). They're not soft, lightweight and cosy compared to the (down) duvets we Brits are more used to...and putting a duvet cover on them wouldn't really work due to the bulk.

You can get duvet covers here (called 'comforter covers') but the range is extremely limited and unless you move to a place located near an IKEA store you'll find that they're very expensive! (If on a tight budget you can get some from Tesco, Matalan, Primark, Asda etc.).

Ps: an American Queen size bed has a width of 5ft (not sure if that is a UK King?). My down duvets here are from IKEA, I have a Queen size bed and I use the standard UK 'double bed' size duvet covers, although mine are mainly from Debenhams, M&S and John Lewis.

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 6th 2011 at 2:39 am.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
OK you might laugh....but at least a couple of nice duvet covers (maybe even a duvet as well).

Americans mainly seem to use 'comforters' eg. polyester/cotton 'duvets' with a built-in cover (usually horrible designs). They're not soft, lightweight and cosy compared to the (down) duvets we Brits are more used to...and putting a duvet cover on them wouldn't really work due to the bulk.

You can get duvet covers here (called 'comforter covers') but the range is extremely limited and unless you move to a place located near an IKEA store you'll find that they're very expensive! (If on a tight budget you can get some from Tesco, Matalan, Primark, Asda etc.).

Ps: an American Queen size bed has a width of 5ft (not sure if that is a UK King?). My down duvets here are from IKEA, I have a Queen size bed and I use the standard UK 'double bed' size duvet covers, although mine are mainly from Debenhams, M&S and John Lewis.
Not sure how practical it is to bring duvets from the UK...especially as they are so bulky. When we first moved here in '96 I had a terrible time trying to find a duvet and cover...now they are much more readily available. We have down duvets...you can even get them from Home Goods/Marshals/TJMax, Costco, Bed, Bath and Beyond and most of the large department stores.

I do agree with you about duvet covers...not a great deal of choice and some aren't suitable for the washing machine.

Here is a list of US vs UK bed sizes.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:17 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I bought some great duvet covers on Overtock.com.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:18 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I meant www.overstock.com
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Cheese and Chocolate
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Reiterating what has been said about duvets. We bought four new duvets to bring with us and loads of new bedding. If we want new bedding we will just order from the UK or get someone to bring it out for us. No way am I losing my duvets - could not live without them. But ours belongings came over in a huge container so it was not a problem for us.

We brought loads of decent teabags with us.

All essential and important documentation including copies of medical records, birth certificates, educational certificates, etc. Oh, and please put all your important documentation in your hand luggage and NOT in the hold.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Good luck with the move. Hope all goes smoothly for you
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Target now have a good range of foam filled and down filled duvets and covers just bought one!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree with bringing your medical records - get a copy from your doctor - this has been invaluable to prove we have immunisations etc.

Make sure you bring the long birth certificate if you can - the one with your parents names on it - we needed this for our Green card application.

Also - get an International drivers licence - you can drive on this for a year - which gives you time to sort out your driving test etc here.

Bank statements / motgage stuff ( if applicable) for the past year - you need these for your tax return.

Re : Duvet covers - Next directory now deliver to the US, so you could always get one delivered directly to you here rather than use up your baggage allowance on it.

If there is anything else I can think of, I'll be back!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by katybluewater
Totally agree with bringing your medical records - get a copy from your doctor - this has been invaluable to prove we have immunisations etc.

Make sure you bring the long birth certificate if you can - the one with your parents names on it - we needed this for our Green card application.

Also - get an International drivers licence - you can drive on this for a year - which gives you time to sort out your driving test etc here.

Bank statements / motgage stuff ( if applicable) for the past year - you need these for your tax return.

Re : Duvet covers - Next directory now deliver to the US, so you could always get one delivered directly to you here rather than use up your baggage allowance on it.

If there is anything else I can think of, I'll be back!
M&S also deliver to the US...I'm expecting a delivery this week...clothes not bedding.

Are you sure you can drive on an International Driving license for 1 year?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not sure how practical it is to bring duvets from the UK...especially as they are so bulky. When we first moved here in '96 I had a terrible time trying to find a duvet and cover...now they are much more readily available. We have down duvets...you can even get them from Home Goods/Marshals/TJMax, Costco, Bed, Bath and Beyond and most of the large department stores.

I do agree with you about duvet covers...not a great deal of choice and some aren't suitable for the washing machine.

Here is a list of US vs UK bed sizes.
excellent link - thanks! was looking to compare sizes, this makes it a lot easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.