Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

things dreams are made of....

things dreams are made of....

Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:55 am
Just Joined

millionall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: things dreams are made of....

Originally Posted by sarahatall
Thanks Millionall, I may just take you up on that. I dont know much about Scandinavia but if I can help you in any way feel free to ask
Sarah
Thank you Sarah
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:26 am
Just Joined

sarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nice

Originally Posted by nettlebed
The OP certainly sounds like she is phenomenally eligible...
I know I'm probably gonna look ridiculously stupid but what is OP? I've seen it a few times now and cant think what it is?????
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:29 am
Just Joined

sarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nicesarahatall is just really nice

Originally Posted by millionall
Texas and California will be the warmest states on your to look up list. But Kentucky has more varied seasons and snow in the winter.

Kentucky is home of the U.S. Kentucky Derby, the largest annual horse race. Even though they call it the U.S. Kentucky Derby it seems more British to me. All of the ladies wear big fancy hats like I have seen your royal family wear while watching polo. It's pretty neat watching the Derby on T.V.

California is a very expensive place to live and has one of the worst economies out of all of the U.S. States. I would recommend avoiding the major cities. Because they have a big gang problem in certain parts of Cali. Many people consider California to be it's own country because it is supposedly weird. I currently live in Colorado. It seems that all of the people wanting to escape California are moving to Colorado. But some people really love it there. So it all comes down to personal taste and what you are looking for.

Colorado has a pretty big horse culture as well. We have the beautiful Rocky Mountains in our state. Up in the mountains their are tons of farms with horses and really pretty views. However we sometimes get really cold weather in the winter time but it is not cold every single day all through out winter. In Colorado we have a favorite saying that says "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change". During the winter season. One day you might be wearing a coat and the next day you might be running around in a t-shirt. It is very weird!

I have heard that there is a shortage of veterinarian professionals willing to work with farm animals in America. So if you are interested in working with farm animals then you should have an easier time finding a job during the bad economy than someone else with a different career path regardless of what state you choose. Also there is a veterinarian school in Fort Collins, Colorado that is regarded as one of the best veterinarian schools in the entire country.

Just some things to think about

I'm not actually a vet but definitely great info to think about...want to try to avoid snowy weather if I can...have had a life time of cold grey weather and its one of the reasons I want to relocate.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:58 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm probably gonna look ridiculously stupid but what is OP? I've seen it a few times now and cant think what it is?????
Original Poster, in other words you started the thread

Oh and welcome to BE
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say Hi to a fellow NI'lander. Lots of useful advice and information on here so you've picked a great place to start.

Definitely advise reading as much around the wiki's as you can as they will help you get a handle of what may or may not be possible with regard to the move.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millionall
Texas and California will be the warmest states on your to look up list. But Kentucky has more varied seasons and snow in the winter.

Kentucky is home of the U.S. Kentucky Derby, the largest annual horse race. Even though they call it the U.S. Kentucky Derby it seems more British to me. All of the ladies wear big fancy hats like I have seen your royal family wear while watching polo. It's pretty neat watching the Derby on T.V.
As a Louisville, Kentucky native, I couldn't help but laugh! Seriously, you think the Derby (as we call it around here) is British?! You've obviously never seen the party in the infield on Derby Day. Yes, there is the Millionaire's Row where you find all the posh women in hats and dresses, but there are far, far more 'normal' folks that are there partying and getting trashed.

Sarah, if you are looking for a thoroughbred horse country, then KY is a great place to live, as long as you would enjoy living in a small town USA and all that comes with that. We (my Brit hubby & I) have lived in quite a few small KY towns, and while we loved the scenary we just couldn't stand living there. We get all four seasons, extreme heat and fairly extreme cold (we've been colder than the UK the past few weeks). We don't get a lot of snow, but we get enough of it. If you want more a ranch lifestyle then the Texas or California suggestions may be better for you.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jan 12th 2010 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah, I lived in Oklahoma for two years and loved it there, (I'm Brit hubby US) lived in Texas and hated it there. It's not something that anyone else can tell you really, we can give you our personal experience of a particular State, but you really have to live there yourself before you can 'know it'.

I haven't met many other people that would want to move to OK, but I would go back there in a heartbeat, different opinion from mine on Texas too, from most people I talk too.

Nothing wrong in asking people about the 'better' States to live in, we all have opinions, but that's all they are 'our' opinions. Do lots of research and read all the old threads on here about moving to the US (1,000's of them,lol.) Good luck with the DV or which ever way you chose to get here
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:25 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Sarah, I lived in Oklahoma for two years and loved it there, (I'm Brit hubby US) lived in Texas and hated it there. It's not something that anyone else can tell you really, we can give you our personal experience of a particular State, but you really have to live there yourself before you can 'know it'.

I haven't met many other people that would want to move to OK, but I would go back there in a heartbeat, different opinion from mine on Texas too, from most people I talk too.

Nothing wrong in asking people about the 'better' States to live in, we all have opinions, but that's all they are 'our' opinions. Do lots of research and read all the old threads on here about moving to the US (1,000's of them,lol.) Good luck with the DV or which ever way you chose to get here

Nice to see you ol' girl.....and Boo is looking spiffy as usual
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:40 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Note: Original Poster OP is NOT to be confused with the regular here called Optimus Prime, who is also sometimes referred to as OP.

You have been warned...

Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Nice to see you ol' girl.....and Boo is looking spiffy as usual
Thanx Poppy, I think (ol girl? LOL) Yeah, first day without all the Christmas visitors...very quiet. Was mostly a good Holiday really wish our Son could have stayed longer though.

This is my Sis and my boys
Attached Thumbnails things dreams are made of....-aunty-pam-n-d-nehews.jpg  
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

I realise that no one can tell me where to aim for state wise but other peoples perspectives are really useful especially on things like climate, demographics, culture and experiences.
Thanks everyone so much for all your advice so far. I cant believe how great this site is and how helpful everyone has been!!!!!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:34 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone so much for all your advice so far. I cant believe how great this site is and how helpful everyone has been!!!!!
Nor can I! Usually, we rip folks a new one...
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that no one can tell me where to aim for state wise but other peoples perspectives are really useful especially on things like climate, demographics, culture and experiences.
I live 15 minutes north of Kentucky where if you were to use the abbreviation UK everyone would assume you meant the University of Kentucky. They're rabid fans of the sports teams to say the least.

There's rivalry between many bordering states and in Ohio we like to tease Kentuckians about not owning shoes, marrying their cousins, etc. (all in good fun) but it's a beautiful state with nice people and is certainly horse country! If you didn't want a very small town you could target Lexington or Louisville to have the best of both.

Glad you're enjoying BE. There are several Americans on the site (myself included) as well as British Expats so between the lot of us we should have you covered.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
They're rabid fans of the sports teams to say the least.
Damn right!

There's rivalry between many bordering states and in Ohio we like to tease Kentuckians about not owning shoes, marrying their cousins, etc...
That's what we do to folks in West Virgnina!

If you didn't want a very small town you could target Lexington or Louisville to have the best of both.
Sheila and I would move to Lexington in a heartbeat if the job situation improved any!

Ian
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Sheila and I would move to Lexington in a heartbeat if the job situation improved any!

Ian
Bleh! As a Louisvillian that moved to Lexington for a period of time, I can honestly say I hated Lex. But that doesn't help the OP, so I'll keep other comments to meself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.