British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   things dreams are made of.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/things-dreams-made-648461/)

sarahatall Jan 10th 2010 10:03 pm

things dreams are made of....

I've always dreamed of living in the USA. I'm a 35yr old single girl with a degree in Zoology and I own my own house. I currently manage a busy, 3 branch veterinary clinic. I've registered for the green card lottery 2011 and am constantly scanning the internet looking at different states and USA job search sites.
I have, until recently, always thought that the US was just a dream but I really want to make that a reality.
I guess what I'm doing on here is looking for advice on where to start. Does and donts - anything really including recommendations for which states to look at. I'm an outdoorsy, horsy girl so I guess I'd be interested in horse country and I prefer the sun to the snow.
All feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

many thanks.

Kaffy Mintcake Jan 10th 2010 10:09 pm

Re: things dreams are made of....

Originally Posted by sarahatall (Post 8235946)
I've always dreamed of living in the USA. I'm a 35yr old single girl with a degree in Zoology and I own my own house. I currently manage a busy, 3 branch veterinary clinic. I've registered for the green card lottery 2011 and am constantly scanning the internet looking at different states and USA job search sites.
I have, until recently, always thought that the US was just a dream but I really want to make that a reality.
I guess what I'm doing on here is looking for advice on where to start. Does and donts - anything really including recommendations for which states to look at. I'm an outdoorsy, horsy girl so I guess I'd be interested in horse country and I prefer the sun to the snow.

many thanks.

Hi Sarah and welcome. :) Here's a good place to start. Reading through these links will help you learn how you could qualify to move aside from the lottery. Good luck!

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

and

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified

sarahatall Jan 10th 2010 10:14 pm

Thanks so much for prompt reply. 1st link not working but the 2nd link was really useful. :thumbup:

chartreuse Jan 10th 2010 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by sarahatall (Post 8235976)
Thanks so much for prompt reply. 1st link not working but the 2nd link was really useful. :thumbup:

Try this for the first one.

sarahatall Jan 10th 2010 10:28 pm

\Thank you:thumbup:

nettlebed Jan 10th 2010 11:19 pm

many thanks.

Zoology, horses, sun: has to be in or around KY, I would say...

Here is a big don't, which should be obvious, but seems to be overlooked a lot. Never, ever lie to anyone about anything in order to gain entry to the US, even as a visitor. It can lead to a lifetime ban. Not implying that you would, but the consequences can be irreversible in some cases, even for small white lies. Many people trying to get to the US don't seem to be aware of the potential adverse consequences, so it never hurts to call it out early on.

BTW, what is your nationality and birthplace? You know that most UK-born people are ineligible for the DV (NI is the exception).

tamms_1965 Jan 10th 2010 11:28 pm

many thanks.

Join an online international dating service. That's how one of the Real Housewives of NYC met her English hubs.

Poppy girl Jan 10th 2010 11:32 pm

many thanks.

If you want the sun and horses then Northern California would be your best bet, we have the 2nd largest horse population in the US and hundreds upon hundreds of ranchs.

I live 5mins from this place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakdale,_California and its nothing but horses and ranches all the way up to Yosemite National Park, which might be worth looking into ie a National Park employee, or working on an actual ranch ;)

millionall Jan 11th 2010 1:54 am

Hi Sara,

Are you look for a lot of warmth and sun year round or just during the summer and such?

I have some family who lives in Texas and my mom is actually from Texas. It is quite warm there year round and the state of Texas is very well known for having a lot of horses and farms. And Texans are generally very polite and lovely people.

Best of luck to you :thumbsup:

Ozzidoc Jan 11th 2010 1:58 am

match.com

Seriously :)

nettlebed Jan 11th 2010 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 8236414)
match.com

Seriously :)

The OP certainly sounds like she is phenomenally eligible...

sarahatall Jan 11th 2010 8:17 am

Would never lie especially for something as important as immigration. As for on line dating lol!!! Have been looking at Oklahoma??? Any thoughts anyone??? Will have a look at Texas, California and I think KY is Kentucky. I'm from Northern Ireland so am eligible for DV. Thanks for feedback!! keep it coming!!:thumbsup:

Sarah

millionall Jan 11th 2010 8:25 am

I'm actually an American and I am currently in the process of trying to move to somewhere in Scandinavia for college and know how difficult it can be trying to move to another country. I'm sure stating that my mom is from Texas gave my nationality away :)

But anyway. If you have any more questions pertaining to America. Feel free to ask me, i'll do my best to help answer them as best I can.

Here is to hoping your dreams come true :thumbsup:

sarahatall Jan 11th 2010 8:29 am

Thanks Millionall, I may just take you up on that. I dont know much about Scandinavia but if I can help you in any way feel free to ask :D
Sarah

millionall Jan 11th 2010 8:54 am

Texas and California will be the warmest states on your to look up list. But Kentucky has more varied seasons and snow in the winter.

Kentucky is home of the U.S. Kentucky Derby, the largest annual horse race. Even though they call it the U.S. Kentucky Derby it seems more British to me. All of the ladies wear big fancy hats like I have seen your royal family wear while watching polo. It's pretty neat watching the Derby on T.V.

California is a very expensive place to live and has one of the worst economies out of all of the U.S. States. I would recommend avoiding the major cities. Because they have a big gang problem in certain parts of Cali. Many people consider California to be it's own country because it is supposedly weird. I currently live in Colorado. It seems that all of the people wanting to escape California are moving to Colorado. But some people really love it there. So it all comes down to personal taste and what you are looking for.

Colorado has a pretty big horse culture as well. We have the beautiful Rocky Mountains in our state. Up in the mountains their are tons of farms with horses and really pretty views. However we sometimes get really cold weather in the winter time but it is not cold every single day all through out winter. In Colorado we have a favorite saying that says "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change". During the winter season. One day you might be wearing a coat and the next day you might be running around in a t-shirt. It is very weird!

I have heard that there is a shortage of veterinarian professionals willing to work with farm animals in America. So if you are interested in working with farm animals then you should have an easier time finding a job during the bad economy than someone else with a different career path regardless of what state you choose. Also there is a veterinarian school in Fort Collins, Colorado that is regarded as one of the best veterinarian schools in the entire country.

Just some things to think about :)