Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things that disturb you about the US

Things that disturb you about the US

Old Jul 24th 2005, 4:39 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that disturb you about the US

Originally Posted by Ray
Fred West said much the same ....
I only have a very small patio Ray........
Old Jul 24th 2005, 4:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I only have a very small patio Ray........
Walls have ears they say... and the whole body sometimes...
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:16 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

The way an employer can "sell" a position to you with health benefits at a certain cost and then change them when they feel like it. This has happened to me twice with my current job in a space of nine months. The benefits now cost four times as much as when I took the job.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:20 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Walls have ears they say... and the whole body sometimes...

My walls have mice....
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:20 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833
The way an employer can "sell" a position to you with health benefits at a certain cost and then change them when they feel like it. This has happened to me twice with my current job in a space of nine months. The benefits now cost four times as much as when I took the job.
Bummer. Have you shopped around to get your own Private health insurance? If you find anything better, cancel the employment one and join something else.

Sometimes, employer benefits are hard to beat but keep an eye out incase something is better out there.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:27 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

We had free healthcare when we first got here......then Lucent took over .....and we near enough lost everything......we don't pay much now after a buyback......but it seems to go up every year......the only person who uses it is my grandson......I have no idea what my doctor looks like.......
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:44 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I find most disturbing is all the TV evangelists who are nothing more than mouthpieces for the republican party. Everything about these people strikes me as just wrong, and against everything that Jesus stood for. It's not just where they stand politically, but the sheer hypocrisy of these people. Only last week I saw one blaming the London bombings on the fact that in the UK we let so many Muslims in, and because liberals were in league with middle-eastern ,terrorists the same person also went off on a rant about the evils of Islam, and then had the nerve to say that their religion was so great because it tolerated people of different beliefs.
Idiots!!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:47 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rincewind
Bummer. Have you shopped around to get your own Private health insurance? If you find anything better, cancel the employment one and join something else.

Sometimes, employer benefits are hard to beat but keep an eye out incase something is better out there.
It would cost about the same to get our own, but then we'd have all the "pre-exisiting conditions" to wait through. Time to change jobs again I think..... In the UK I was with one employer for 15 years, over here it's two in less than two years.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK I was with one employer for 15 years, over here it's two in less than two years.
One thing that disturbs me in the US business world is that corporations do not have the ability or the inclination to inspire loyalty in either their employees or their customers. S'pose with such a large population, they believe they can happily keep pissin' and rippin' people off. I see this as very shortsighted.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:55 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rincewind
Although American kids have to be my biggest issue. They are rude, obnoxious, hyper, arrogant and full of wanton destruction. They have no respect for material things and are spoiled by their parents.
And you think British kids are any better? The chavlings in my old stomping grounds are ten times worse than most of the kids here.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nxylas
And you think British kids are any better? The chavlings in my old stomping grounds are ten times worse than most of the kids here.
Yeah, at least there aren't any little scrotums here starting fights with you in the mall!

I found children here very pleasent, a young boy, about 7 years old started a conversation with me at Portland airport recently, I was surprised he was so friendly.

Anyway, I find the lack of healthcare for everyone very disturbing, as well as the huge amount of power corporations hold and their "control" of politicians.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:13 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Why oh why am I not allowed to see the final stage of the Tour de France on tv?
We saw it here? on OLN.... not on a local channel.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Other than Sarah's situation,the fact that you can walk into the local Walmart and buy the biggest gun you have ever seen with just a driving license.

:scared: :scared:
Really?????

Then tell me why my husband had to have FBI clearance at the Walmart in Watkins Glen last summer to buy a rifle and he was a USC by that time.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Then tell me why my husband had to have FBI clearance at the Walmart in Watkins Glen last summer to buy a rifle and he was a USC by that time.
Er..........you live in one of those namby pamby, tree-huggin' liberal states?
Old Jul 24th 2005, 10:28 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Really?????

You live in NY state that has very strict firearms laws. I believe NY, CA and MA have the most strict state firearms laws in the nation.

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.