Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things that disturb you about the US

Things that disturb you about the US

Old Jul 31st 2005, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that disturb you about the US

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
Why make it difficult then?
I didn't think it was.

Isn't that rather self explanatory?
You would have thought so...

"British Expats - Forum - USA - Lifestyle and Culture"
Old Jul 31st 2005, 9:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Fig..Your attitude need calming down ..you losing points on more than one posting already ...try easing in more slowly... go for with flow until your feet are under the table so to speak ...
Old Jul 31st 2005, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
So having had some experience of other countries is there anything about them that you thought they did better than the USA? Is there anything at all you would personally change about life in the USA if it was up to you?
Of course not, complaining about anything is unpatriotic and anti-American.

All together now...

Trousers down,
Turn around,
Touch your toes,
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:20 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

So having had some experience of other countries is there anything about them that you thought they did better than the USA? Is there anything at all you would personally change about life in the USA if it was up to you?
Of course. It also applied the other way around. Thing is, those countries I was in were free countries able to choose the lives they wanted for themselves. Why would I want to change or be critical, especially in a nasty way, about something they chose for themselves?

Plus, in my case, as a native American, it obviously makes more sense for me to be critical of my own culture than immigrants that come in and right away start making demands that the country change for them. I don't care if you have been here for years it is idiotic and disrespectful to expect a country to cater to the culture that you grew up with and are used to. To be outwardly hostile is of course much worse. No country needs such immigrants.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:22 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I didn't think it was.

You would have thought so...

"British Expats - Forum - USA - Lifestyle and Culture"
Anytime you want to start an intelligent, respectful, and adult conversation let me know.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Of course. It also applied the other way around. Thing is, those countries I was in were free countries able to choose the lives they wanted for themselves. Why would I want to change or be critical, especially in a nasty way, about something they chose for themselves?

Plus, in my case, as a native American, it obviously makes more sense for me to be critical of my own culture than immigrants that come in and right away start making demands that the country change for them. I don't care if you have been here for years it is idiotic and disrespectful to expect a country to cater to the culture that you grew up with and are used to. To be outwardly hostile is of course much worse. No country needs such immigrants.
Oh, I agree, you're absolutely right.

So everyone here who's been in the good ol'd US of A for more than 10 years, and has their citizenship can f*** right off.

We don't need people like you.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
Fig..Your attitude need calming down ..you losing points on more than one posting already ...try easing in more slowly... go for with flow until your feet are under the table so to speak ...

I'm not here to gain "points" with you or anyone else. I'm respectfully speaking my mind and if some people don't appreciate that then oh well.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:26 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so do want to give any examples of stuff you liked about Europe/stuff you'd change about the US?

It's not idiotic or disrespectful to suggest that there might be room for improvement when those improvements would be paid for with my tax dollars and would result in greater convenience, safety, or a higher standard of living for ALL residents of the USA. Living here I don't pay any less US tax than you just because I am a citizen of a different country.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:27 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not here to gain "points" with you or anyone else. I'm respectfully speaking my mind and if some people don't appreciate that then oh well.
Oh well
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:28 pm
Banned

All together now...

Trousers down,
Turn around,
Touch your toes,
You probably don't know what patriotism is. You grew up in Europe where such sentiment is usually seen as nationalism and pretty much grotesque.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:29 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

They do better soup overseas. I think a 3 week vacation is an idea that should be phased in here without having to work somewhere for 20 years. Also I liked the Christmas markets.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You probably don't know what patriotism is. You grew up in Europe where such sentiment is usually seen as nationalism and pretty much grotesque.
That's right, I've never even sung God Save The Queen.

Wohoooooooo... go USA.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:30 pm
Banned

Oh, I agree, you're absolutely right.

So everyone here who's been in the good ol'd US of A for more than 10 years, and has their citizenship can f*** right off.

We don't need people like you.
You need to read what I wrote more carefully.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:33 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

All together now...

Trousers down,
Turn around,
Touch your toes,

That's a bit of an exaggeration-not all Americans are fundamentalist Conservative Republicans.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You need to read what I wrote more carefully.
I think you've got 'complaining about the US' with 'getting the US to conform'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.