Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

They lost our passports! Help!

They lost our passports! Help!

Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: They lost our passports! Help!

Originally Posted by frank09
No worries! so at least thats not a problem
it's a good problem not to have, look on the positives
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, can't apply for new passport without cancelling the old one.
Well, since the old one appears to be definitely lost I'm not sure why canceling it is even an issue - it isn't any good to you if you don't have it and the sooner you apply for a replacement the sooner you will have a valid US passport again ...
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by md95065
Well, since the old one appears to be definitely lost I'm not sure why canceling it is even an issue - it isn't any good to you if you don't have it and the sooner you apply for a replacement the sooner you will have a valid US passport again ...
Agreed. However, if I go through the motions of offically cancelling my passport and applying for a new one then I think there is little chance of me getting any money back from them even though they lost my passport. I would like to get an admission from them that they lost it and an expediated processing of a new one.

That will only work with my US passport. For my wife's replacement UK passport its gonna be a whole other ballgame and I dont even know where to begin trying to get her passport photos here in the US. Sigh. Worst of all, we JUST renewed her passport, early (!) a week before the embassy interview. Frustrating
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The lost our passports! Help!

penguinsix- thanks for your reply. I did it at the post office and was told that the passports HAD to be sent with. I will try contacting the congressman's office.
That's a bummer. I think you were given bad advice by your post office. I had to get passports for my two kids recently. We did not have to submit our passports but we did have to show them and then submit a copy (steps 4 and 5 of the following link).

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...inors_834.html

Was the Post office you used an official 'passport acceptance center' or just a regular post office? The guy there might not know what he is doing (wouldn't be the first time).

I doubt your passports were destroyed, but they are probably in some file and no one knows what to do with them. I think the Congressman's office intervening will elevate the response time a bit.

If you need to a get US passport in a hurry, there are plenty of 'passport expeditor' services available. I've gotten one in as little as 24 hours before. Of course, it costs out the nose.

Good luck.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll be SOL in getting the Post Office or Dept. of State to pay for your replacements. You can certainly try, but I think you'll just be with them.

Instead of waiting them out, you should probably just go ahead and get them replaced. You don't want to find yourselves in a situation where you need to travel in a hurry, and you don't have them.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

. For my wife's replacement UK passport its gonna be a whole other ballgame and I dont even know where to begin trying to get her passport photos here in the US.
walgreens
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Walgreens is simple enough! Just down the road. If I will replace her passport I was thinking of having her dad to it for her using the expediated service in the UK as it seems to be taking forever to do it here in the US. Does that make sense?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Walgreens is simple enough! Just down the road. If I will replace her passport I was thinking of having her dad to it for her using the expediated service in the UK as it seems to be taking forever to do it here in the US. Does that make sense?
I think that will work. We used the service in the US for kids pp renewal and it took forever!
When going to walgreens tell them it's for a UK pp and they can configure it properly on their computer thingy before printing them off....and don't forget, no smiling!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:28 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Bank asked for valid photo ID. our uk drivers licenses weren't acceptable. And I was told the my UK passport wasn't acceptable either! When I asked why my wife's UK passport would be OK the answer was "because she can't have a us passport".

This could be down to an incompetent bank employee but haven't really looked into it further.
There are still a few banks to choose from, albeit rather fewer than before the melt down. Vote with your feet.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

can u recommend a bank?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:17 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

can u recommend a bank?
Not all banks are everywhere.

The big three -- who usually have less issues with Johnny Foreigner are Bank of America, Wells Fargo - Wachovia and Chase.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Not all banks are everywhere.

The big three -- who usually have less issues with Johnny Foreigner are Bank of America, Wells Fargo - Wachovia and Chase.
Thanks
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Arrived in the mail today!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

the missing passports did?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jscl
the missing passports did?
Yes- sorry for not being clear!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.