Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

They didn't mention that in the Brochure!

They didn't mention that in the Brochure!

Old Jun 30th 2003, 1:52 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

ahhhhhhhhh but remember. in the early 20th century, we in England done it the way that America does it now.......
Old Jun 30th 2003, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

julieb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by waxwabbit
ahhhhhhhhh but remember. in the early 20th century, we in England done it the way that America does it now.......
dunno about that...I'm not that old!!!!
I just want to do it the way I always have...
Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for Ranjini

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
I believe they prefer to use a curious mix of concrete & a ready supply of opponents of a certain Italian family for the flyovers too ?

Yea, that stuff is mostly "Dead & Buried" now.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:57 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: They didn't mention that in the Brochure!

Originally posted by julieb
They were trying to train the check out staff in Asda in the UK to do it ...disaster...they would look down and mutter it!
Seems so false in the UK when people say it ...because...well...they don't mean it!
Julie
Frank, Patrick I'm not trying to say anything derogatory about the UK. Just agreeing with Julie. This kind of attitude can be seen in many places where the British influence has prevailed. We were in British Columbia, Canada a couple of months ago and I noticed a difference in the way customers are dealt with over there as being different to the US. They come across as not as friendly and maybe even somewhat less courteous. The first thought that crossed my mind was "it's the British influence".
I have seen this attitude even in my own country. An attitude almost bordering on indifference at times. Again probably the same thing?? Not that I expect anyone to jump in and agree....
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Ranjini
Frank, Patrick I'm not trying to say anything derogatory about the UK. Just agreeing with Julie. This kind of attitude can be seen in many places where the British influence has prevailed. We were in British Columbia, Canada a couple of months ago and I noticed a difference in the way customers are dealt with over there as being different to the US. They come across as not as friendly and maybe even somewhat less courteous. The first thought that crossed my mind was "it's the British influence".
I have seen this attitude even in my own country. An attitude almost bordering on indifference at times. Again probably the same thing?? Not that I expect anyone to jump in and agree....
I think you are barking up the wrong tree...I was using UK Asda just as an example...you see they are now owned by WALMART..and the kind of American training probably isn't working!..
"Hello"and a smile plus "thank you "is good enough for the British people...they just don'twant to say "have a nice day"...because that isn't their concern.

Britain used to be "A nation of shop keepers"..Small shops on long roads where mother and children walked from one to the next getting what they needed and passed time of day with the shop keepers ...who had more time to deal with customers.
British people are very curteous mainly...standing in queues minding thier p's and q's...

So no I don't think the 'British influence' as you put it can be blamed for bad manners ...why did this thought cross your mind?
some people would view it as a racist remark!?
Old Jun 30th 2003, 7:00 pm
Banned

I think you are barking up the wrong tree...I was using UK Asda just as an example...you see they are now owned by WALMART..and the kind of American training probably isn't working!..
"Hello"and a smile plus "thank you "is good enough for the British people...they just don'twant to say "have a nice day"...because that isn't their concern.

Britain used to be "A nation of shop keepers"..Small shops on long roads where mother and children walked from one to the next getting what they needed and passed time of day with the shop keepers ...who had more time to deal with customers.
British people are very curteous mainly...standing in queues minding thier p's and q's...

So no I don't think the 'British influence' as you put it can be blamed for bad manners ...why did this thought cross your mind?
Oops!! Sorry. I WAS obviously barking up the wrong tree. Most probably wrong forum as well, no doubt. This one's obviously just for you British Expats. Have yourself a nice day.........

Last edited by Ranjini; Jun 30th 2003 at 7:03 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

JulieB,
Very Nicely put. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In-fact having traveled to many parts of the world, I would say the British are probably the politest, well mannered, least pushy & helpful people.

My USC wife also well traveled & lived in England, would certainly agree. She points out that everyone in England understood her accent. Did not continually deride her requests for things by the US name.

Personally, this whole have a nice day thing, is very false. They only say it because the boss told them to.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Oops!! Sorry. I WAS obviously barking up the wrong tree. Most probably wrong forum as well, no doubt. This one's obviously just for you British Expats. Have yourself a nice day.........
Come on now...seems like I have been caught in the cross fire here..I was just explaining what I had said...and why are you mentioning "British expats" again...don't you like British people?
If I was to say...oh"its the (Japanese) (Indian)(Jamaican)(Pakistan)(Jewish)(Chinese) influence" it may be viewed as Racist..but obviously you like the British so that isn't the case here is it?
I just said that you can't put ALL Brits in the same boat!
Same as not ALL Americans actually mean 'have a nice day'
Never mind.....
Old Jun 30th 2003, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by frrussre
JulieB,

In-fact having traveled to many parts of the world, I would say the British are probably the politest, well mannered, least pushy & helpful people.

My USC wife also well traveled & lived in England, would certainly agree. She points out that everyone in England understood her accent. Did not continually deride her requests for things by the US name.

Personally, this whole have a nice day thing, is very false. They only say it because the boss told them to.

Reg. Frank R.
Yes I think the British as a whole are like you said...of course you and I have met many, many British people so we would know this wouldn't we?
I am glad that your wife has had positive stays in UK..when My husband went to the UK to visit me he was scared to talk in the shops after he had witnessed my experiences here in the US..I told him...All British people will understand you ,we grew up with nothing but mostly US TV shows!
There is just this one thing ...it's about an orange cat he saw outside the other day...I could swear it was Ginger!!

Julie
Old Jun 30th 2003, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by julieb
Come on now...seems like I have been caught in the cross fire here..I was just explaining what I had said...and why are you mentioning "British expats" again...don't you like British people?
If I was to say...oh"its the (Japanese) (Indian)(Jamaican)(Pakistan)(Jewish)(Chinese) influence" it may be viewed as Racist..but obviously you like the British so that isn't the case here is it?
Never mind..... [/QUOTE

Julie, don't be scared off by Ranjini. She just likes to play "Bossy boots".

Reg. Frank R.

And yes that cat is certainly "Ginger" not Orange.
My wife a Nurse worked & lived in the UK. Both private & NHS. My favorite thing about her, is she is very un American. Not loud, not pushy. Can use a knife & fork.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by frrussre
Never mind..... [/QUOTE

Julie, don't be scared off by Ranjini. She just likes to play "Bossy boots".

Reg. Frank R.

And yes that cat is certainly "Ginger" not Orange.
My wife a Nurse worked & lived in the UK. Both private & NHS. My favorite thing about her, is she is very un American. Not loud, not pushy. Can use a knife & fork.

Thanks for the tip...will keep it in mind.

A knife???Really come on Frank...My husband has all the qualities your wife shows...but the knife is going too far!!

Enjoy the rest of your day (I mean that by the way) and my regards to your wife!

Julie
Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:16 pm
Banned

Never mind.....
No, I obviously can't put ALL Brits in the same boat. And yes, I do like Brits. At least the ones I have come to know very well. The ones count among my friends. But I'm afraid I just can't figure out some of those that post on this forum. But first let me apologise if my remarks came across as racist. They were not meant to be. And I'm sorry.
A quirky sense of humour like Patrick displays I find quite hilarious. But some of them on here come across as confused, for the lack of a better word.....
Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:22 pm
Banned

Originally posted by frrussre
JulieB,

Reg. Frank R.
What are you saying, Frank? Americans are sometimes confused by terms they do not understand. Who has been "continually deriding" you?? I find that hard to believe...
Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

But first let me apologise if my remarks came across as racist. They were not meant to be. And I'm sorry.

Amazing how 90 % of what you post is taken as racially offensive by many people in here. Noice to know that I am not alone in finding you offensive. What are you doing on a British ex pat site anyway ?
Old Jun 30th 2003, 9:08 pm
Banned

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Amazing how 90 % of what you post is taken as racially offensive by many people in here. Noice to know that I am not alone in finding you offensive. What are you doing on a British ex pat site anyway ?
Ever wondered about why your moderator was an American? Why does a British Expats forum have an American moderator??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.