Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

These Tax rebate cheques

These Tax rebate cheques

Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: These Tax rebate cheques

Originally Posted by mdyoung
No Substance abuse is Substance abuse. No one holds you down and sticks a needle in your arm or pours a drink in your mouth. You did that to yourself.
You'd be surprised actually. There are all sorts of predisposing factors.
Ever heard of attachment theory?
Ever heard of a parent slapping their kid a bit?

Ever heard of a kid getting sick, off school for several weeks, gets back to school to discover that all the other kids have learned new things? Or is the odd kid cos they are behind the others? or they dont get the in joke because when they were sick the class had a special event and they missed out?

Ever heard of sexual abuse?
Ever heard of the parent/s working their ass of for the kidlet, only for the parents to wonder why they have a poor relationship with kid because they are never about.
Ever hear about parents who have a few drinks a few (or more) times a week, leading to interfering with the stability of the home environment?

(I'm sure that TracyM could do a much better job with my list & explanation.)
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

Ever heard of a kid getting sick, off school for several weeks, gets back to school to discover that all the other kids have learned new things? Or is the odd kid cos they are behind the others? or they dont get the in joke because when they were sick the class had a special event and they missed out?

Ever heard of the parent/s working their ass of for the kidlet, only for the parents to wonder why they have a poor relationship with kid because they are never about.
Ever hear about parents who have a few drinks a few (or more) times a week, leading to interfering with the stability of the home environment?

Environment absolutely.
Another mental illness.
Genetic pre-disposition (kids of alcoholics much more likely)

Most people try drugs as young persons. Most don't get addicted. Some do.

Folks think they are in control - then the drug takes control. Terribly hard to post.

I wonder if the other poster has ever taken a drink? Or a few drinks. If so, it could happen to him. Probably not, but it could.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:50 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracym
Never done anything stupid in your youth? Well most of us have.

Many many addicts also have another mental illness (such as depression) and they begin using drugs as an escape from the pain of that illness.

And then are trapped.
Nothing that F**ked up my whole life. At some point in your life you need to take responsiblity for your actions. If a person is depressed there is medication to help that and they need to stop the other BS.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:54 pm

But you are talking about children. At some point in your life you need to stop blaming school, the other kids at school or mom and dad. The person responsible is right in the mirror.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:57 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you are saying......

" No. Substance abuse CAUSES a mental illness"

Or

"No substance abuse causes a mental illness"

If it's the former, the jury is still out on that and keeps changing its mind.

I wish that I could be bothered to provide accurate, up-to-date data on this topic. I'm currently studying the mental health component of my degree, the week on substance use/abuse starts tomorrow.

The former and the jury will never reach an agreement on it.
the area I work in has a high number of people who have been substance abusers and my statement is just my opinion.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym
Environment absolutely.
Another mental illness.
Genetic pre-disposition (kids of alcoholics much more likely)

Most people try drugs as young persons. Most don't get addicted. Some do.

Folks think they are in control - then the drug takes control. Terribly hard to post.

I wonder if the other poster has ever taken a drink? Or a few drinks. If so, it could happen to him. Probably not, but it could.
Have had some driinks in my youth and my father had a drinking problem. I never really enjoyed the hangovers so it was pretty easy to stop when I got more sense. My father just decided he was going to do it anymore and stopped about 25 years ago. So I have seen and lived with the problem, not just read it in some class book and it can stop if you want to.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

But you are talking about children. At some point in your life you need to stop blaming school, the other kids at school or mom and dad. The person responsible is right in the mirror.
I'm actually talking about childhood events, which have a huge impact on people's adult lives.....quite often without them being aware of it.

I have just learned, for example, that some of my specific behaviours have their roots in insecurities I experienced in childhood. Imagine that. I get to my mid 30s and I learn something new about myself which is extremely personal.

I'd be interested to know what events have informed your current thinking (as written in this thread).
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be interested to know what events have informed your current thinking (as written in this thread).
[Opens up DSM and starts thumbing through pages.]
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

OK so that leaves 2/3 that are probably, drunks, junkies and just plain lazy.
Or maybe have mental health issues......

Get a life
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Have had some driinks in my youth and my father had a drinking problem. I never really enjoyed the hangovers so it was pretty easy to stop when I got more sense. My father just decided he was going to do it anymore and stopped about 25 years ago. So I have seen and lived with the problem, not just read it in some class book and it can stop if you want to.
Very simplistic attitude.

Too bad it's wrong.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:02 am
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

Study was done recently on homeless vets by Bill O'Reilly and Fox News after claims by John Edwards. (be a fan of them or not, I'm just posting what was found)

Of the homeless vets out there a large portion have mental problems and substance abuse problems. The VA has approx 100,000 beds and services for those vets but they are not utilised
The VA said they cannot force people to use their services, but they are available if/when needed.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

Get a life
I have one and I'm doing quite fine.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
[Opens up DSM and starts thumbing through pages.]
Life has formed my opinions.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I have one and I'm doing quite fine.
Good for you. And may I be the first to hope it never changes for you.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Good for you. And may I be the first to hope it never changes for you.
I wouldn't go that far. Winning the lottery so I can stop working or just living long enough to retire are changes I could deal with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.