Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

which of these cities and states would you choose?

which of these cities and states would you choose?

Old Apr 28th 2007, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which of these cities and states would you choose?

Originally Posted by Elvira
Oh I remember that one. Wasn't she asking about all different cities?
Old Apr 28th 2007, 2:51 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Oh I remember that one. Wasn't she asking about all different cities?
Yes - first Fresno, then Bakersfield and then........ not sure - Modesto perhaps? One more POTE than the other
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Baltimore is changing. While there are still elements of very bad crime (rent the excellent TV show called 'The Wire' sometime--gripping stuff) there are growing sections of nicely redeveloped areas. As the Washington DC area (DC is 35 miles away) has added jobs and jobs and more people, there have been a number of folks who have said "I want to live in a real city (Baltimore) but not pay Washington city prices." These new DC commuters have pumped in a lot of money to some run down areas, and other areas of Baltimore have also had a bit of a rebound. I personally kind of like Baltimore better because DC is a little artificial and spread out, whereas Baltimore has a bit more of a big city feel, with a rusting industrial sector and a huge port. Just feels kind of grittier, though there are some very nice areas around in Baltimore and the surrounding areas (some people live in Annapolis--very pretty--and commute up each day).

But really, it depends on what you want. The cities on your list run the gamut from 48 inches of snow a year to 100 degrees F for months to whatever. I think some of things you should ask are:

Big City v. Small City?

Hot v. Humid & Hot v. Temperate to Cold?

Closer to Europe / Home / Other expats? How often will you go back? Will there be some folks there that know about the UK (unlikely). But for example, your chances of finding someone to talk to about the UK or who knows a little something about the UK are higher in a place like Baltimore or Atlanta than they are York or Bakersfield. You should also take into consideration the airports (Baltimore has BWI and Washington Dulles with flights to London. Atlanta and Orlando also have direct service, etc.)

Housing? Do you want to rent or do you have some cash available to buy (not right away--rent when you get here and then if you want to buy buy after 6 months of seeing how it is). But long term--what are you plans?

Schools? What level? Going back one day or Uni in the USA? (and by the way, you really can't say a bad school in one state is better than the good school in another--there is not that much variation. While there are some states where the education levels are not quite up to snuff, in the states you listed you are really going to have to look 'school district' by 'school district' to get a comparison). Related to that: Should you be sticking around to get your GC and citizenship one day (or your kids) then the issue of one state v. another becomes relevant for University. The big 'public' state run universities charge wildly different rates depending on which state you live in. If you look at it this way, the best State Universities in your list of states would probably be California with Berkeley and UCLA having 'in state' rates.

Anyway--just a few questions and we can give you a few more recommendations.
Some very good questions there

with regards the GC, we will have that before we go over as I'm a nurse and it's the only visa I can get, but yes we are interested in citizenship, but as we have never lived in the US only visited then we cannot really decide on that at this point. Our long term goal is to stay there forever, but until we get there we won't know for definate so can't really make that decision yet. Our immediate plan is to go over and rent somewhere and work out my contract with the agency (18 months) then we will make more solid decisions after that. We don't own a home in the UK so are really in a situation where we can come back if we want. Although we are going with the atitude that this is for life

My kids are still very young (5 and 3) and I've worked out that my youngest wouldn't even start kindergarten until August 2009, and although my eldest is in his first year of primary now if we were in the US he wouldn't have even started yet either!!!! We are doing this now because of the fact they are at an age to adapt quite easily without being in crucial school years. I have done quite a bit of research into the school systems and understand that a high school diploma in the US would not get kids into a UK university but I think if we are still there at that stage then they would be going to USA uni's anyway. I have found a UK primary school homeschooling pack for expats, I have wondered wether it might be worth doing some of this as extra to US schooling just in case we do decide to return home.

Weather wise is a difficult one. Although we love the heat andhate the depressing rain and dampness and constant grey skies of Scotland it is easy to say that Arizona heat would be fantastic, but then I know that the reality of living in it and working in ti 365 days per year is very different, that is why i am maybe thinking the more seasonal conditions might be more suited to us.

I have never lived in a big city here in the UK, but often think it would be great to live within commuting distance of London and all that it offers. I guess I would be happier living in a suburb of a big city rather than a small town and of course that gives better opportunities for DH to find work as I know it's going to be tough for him. Acess to a major airport with flights to UK would be handy but not essential. I'm not planning on going back all that often but I guess we will have family who may want to come visit us.

If I had the time and the money I would be on a plane to visit all these places now, but unfortunatly that won't be happening

Thanks again everyone
Old Apr 28th 2007, 1:52 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I have done quite a bit of research into the school systems and understand that a high school diploma in the US would not get kids into a UK university
It would. Have a look at some UK uni's and see what it says about International students.

I have teenagers and so we have looked into this.
Generally they will need a grade point average of 4 and very good SAT results in both modules.
SAT's here are not like the UK ones. They are personal to each student and are considered along with ACT results and GPA score.
My daughter is 18 and has looked at UK art schools, good ones.
She meets the entry criteria with her high school GPA and SAT score.
She would also need a portfolio.

My middle daughter is 16 and she is considering UK unis. She wants to do a more academic degree and the places she is looking at are the same. It isn't just your GPA that counts.

But you have ages before that happens and things may change.

BTW I am in PA but further over in Pittsburgh.Just voted Americas most liveable city.
It has a very large medical presence, several very big hospitals (UPMC, Childrens hospital of Pittsburgh, Mercy and a few more) and has more of a big city feel.
Lots of lovely countryside around, mountains (skiing), lakes, woods. An international airport for getting home.
We have four seasons in PA which is nice, although this winter has been a bit too long.
If you want to know more about Pittsburgh PM me.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 2:26 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

We have a place in Orlando...a good support base of other Brits...moving there full time because its a lot cheap than where we live now...we have great friends there...mostly American and Mexican till the last year or so...now we can add a few Brits to that list....I've nearly always lived with holiday makers so I don't find the crowds or traffic a great problem there..I can't really say the same for where I live now...too many summer folk not enough space...Orlando is busy...but you can still have a bit of a life in summer...

My friend is in AZ...hated it for ages...hubby always losing his job...the heat...she wanted to come back to the East coast....but she likes it now...

My dad looked at taking a job in Baltimore 30 years ago...did not because of crime...it looks like nothing much as changed over the years if other posts are anything to go by...

In the end we all like different things....and our needs are all different...I'd not move anywhere without spending a week or so in the area....others may hate a place but you may love it....
Old Apr 28th 2007, 2:50 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=suzanne7575;4709379]Some very good questions there

Weather wise is a difficult one. Although we love the heat andhate the depressing rain and dampness and constant grey skies of Scotland it is easy to say that Arizona heat would be fantastic, but then I know that the reality of living in it and working in ti 365 days per year is very different, that is why i am maybe thinking the more seasonal conditions might be more suited to us.

I live in phoenix AZ, I haven't lived anywhere else in the US so can't comment on that, but we love AZ, we live in Mesa, we are surrounded by mountains and the most beautiful scenery.

Yeah it is hot, the sun shines almost everyday, it gets really hot (100+ degrees) from May to September, but there is low humidity and of course the A/C and pool.

You can get away from the heat and go north a couple of hour where there is wonderful camping (I hated camping in the uk, but its great over here). We take quad bikes and get out of the heat for a few days.

During the winter sun, the weather is amazing, mid 70's, blue sky and cool nights, just like a fab summer day in England. You can also drive 3 hours north and go skiing.

5 hours west and your in California.

Right now we wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Good luck with your decision
Old Apr 28th 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Baltimore for 15 years, so I know it quite well. It has changed a lot (for the better). Yes, it has a reputation as a crime ridden city, but (as stated by another poster) that is usually between rival gangs/drug dealers, so you should be ok. It is one of the most affordable cities on the east coast. Many people are moving here from DC, NYC because you have that city feel, but it is not as expensive. If you want specifics as to what neighbourhoods to live in, please send me a private message. You mentioned summers. My first summer here was a shock. It is very warm and humid in the summer. The best times (I think) are spring (warmish and not humid) and fall (warmish and not humid). The winters are very cold (it's not Canada, but it is cold). It is short commute to DC (if you take the train, traffic can be really bad on 95) and so a lot of young professionals from DC are moving here so that they can afford housing. So, there are a lot of jobs in the area. Also, there is a direct flight to London every day with BA from BWI. Philadelphia is about 90 mins north, NYC about 3 hours north, DC about 45 mins to the south. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of problems in Baltimore, but I would suspect that most cities have problems. Hope this helps!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Are you equating "no noticeable hostility" with "no racism"?
Regrettably, there is some institutional racism in a lot of cities and I doubt Atlanta is an exception. However, Atlanta was known as 'the city too busy to hate' during the Civil Rights era and I strongly believe that there is little to worry about in that regard here to this day.Outside Atlanta - 75 to 100 miles, say - there might be a little different atmosphere but in my extensive travels to the smaller towns and cities on business, I have only ever heard one racist remark ( that was the GOP Mayor of a mid-size city). Actually, I've heard far more negative comments about Democrats and I am one.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Will your husband have a work visa? I must admit I'm not familiar with what happens with spouses of nurses.
All family will get GC on her application. We are also going thro the process and stuck in retrogression at the moment
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:41 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Are you equating "no noticeable hostility" with "no racism"?
Oh dear....
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Oh dear....
All right, Davy Darling - would you rather talk about bondage? Or whatever flies your kite...
Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
All family will get GC on her application. We are also going thro the process and stuck in retrogression at the moment
not much fun for you is it? This is a long way off for us at the moment, but it is so hard to guage tyhe whole thing because of retrogression. We have been talking to our landlord today about our plans and he was like 'so when will you be going' and it's like could be next year could be in 5 years time. Luckily our landlord is fantastic and we are okay to stay in our house until we do go so thats one thing less to worry about.

Oh well patience is a virtue
Old Apr 28th 2007, 11:53 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
Oh, there was one more question -- What does your husband do (or want to do)? His chances of finding employment will be much greater in say a Baltmiore or Phoenix than say a York or Bakerfield (depending on his career).
Old Apr 29th 2007, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

austin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzanne7575

with regards the GC, we will have that before we go over as I'm a nurse and it's the only visa I can get, but yes we are interested in citizenship, but as we have never lived in the US only visited then we cannot really decide on that at this point. Our long term goal is to stay there forever, but until we get there we won't know for definate so can't really make that decision yet. Our immediate plan is to go over and rent somewhere and work out my contract with the agency (18 months) then we will make more solid decisions after that. We don't own a home in the UK so are really in a situation where we can come back if we want. Although we are going with the atitude that this is for life

My kids are still very young (5 and 3) and I've worked out that my youngest wouldn't even start kindergarten until August 2009, and although my eldest is in his first year of primary now if we were in the US he wouldn't have even started yet either!!!! We are doing this now because of the fact they are at an age to adapt quite easily without being in crucial school years. I have done quite a bit of research into the school systems and understand that a high school diploma in the US would not get kids into a UK university but I think if we are still there at that stage then they would be going to USA uni's anyway. I have found a UK primary school homeschooling pack for expats, I have wondered wether it might be worth doing some of this as extra to US schooling just in case we do decide to return home.

I have never lived in a big city here in the UK, but often think it would be great to live within commuting distance of London and all that it offers. I guess I would be happier living in a suburb of a big city rather than a small town and of course that gives better opportunities for DH to find work as I know it's going to be tough for him. Acess to a major airport with flights to UK would be handy but not essential. I'm not planning on going back all that often but I guess we will have family who may want to come visit us.

If I had the time and the money I would be on a plane to visit all these places now, but unfortunatly that won't be happening

Thanks again everyone

From what you have said, the position in York PA sounds like your best bet.
Cost of living should be less than MD.
You can live close to Harrisburg and commuting to York should be easy.
Since you are renting you can move closer to Baltimore later on if you choose.
Check out www.mapquest.com to get maps of the area (and get distances between towns/cities).
The weather in PA will be very nice for you with four different seasons, and nice bearable summers. GA summers can be too hot/humid.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

The weather in PA will be very nice for you with four different seasons, and nice bearable summers. GA summers can be too hot/humid.[/QUOTE]

Ahem....everywhere in the East is hot and humid in the summer. 8- 10 weeks for GA, maybe only 6-8 weeks in New England. Don't think there are many places more humid than DC ( the Potomac )..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.