British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Is there a TPS in the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/there-tps-usa-828161/)

dfrbrowne Mar 11th 2014 1:32 am

Is there a TPS in the USA

Telephone Preference Service,

where you can have your number de-listed so as not to get lots of unsolicited marketing calls?

Signing up for a TV/Internet/Free Landline package with Verizon (living in florida) and we got the option to have our number unlisted for $4.50.

OK I thought don't mind paying that as a one off, But no is a MONTHLY CHARGE! Just so as not to have your number listed!? Forget that I said.

So is there another way to avoid getting loads of unsolicited calls?

The Landline is Free and need to give family back in europe a number for contacting us if needed.

Pulaski Mar 11th 2014 1:36 am

Re: Is there a TPS in the USA

Do not call :)

Noorah101 Mar 11th 2014 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11167171)

Which sometimes works...sometimes not. For me, anyway.

Rene

RICH Mar 11th 2014 1:57 am

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne (Post 11167163)
Telephone Preference Service,

where you can have your number de-listed so as not to get lots of unsolicited marketing calls?

Signing up for a TV/Internet/Free Landline package with Verizon (living in florida) and we got the option to have our number unlisted for $4.50.

OK I thought don't mind paying that as a one off, But no is a MONTHLY CHARGE! Just so as not to have your number listed!? Forget that I said.

The Landline is Free and need to give family back in europe a number for contacting us if needed.

No, you don't. Get a cellphone or skype. Its not the sixties anymore.

cranston Mar 11th 2014 2:00 am

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne (Post 11167163)

Get a Google voice number. You can then setup filters or blocks calls. All free.

Pulaski Mar 11th 2014 2:20 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11167187)
No, you don't. Get a cellphone or skype. Its not the sixties anymore.

Based on another similar question last year, you might want to avoid telling anyone in the UK, especially non-techy parents and their generation, that you've given them a mobile/ cell phone number because they're going to freak out that they're going be paying a premium rate to call that number. It has taken me about ten years to persuade my mother that it is OK, even preferable, to call my cell phone rather than call my home phone and find that I am "never home". :rolleyes:

Pulaski Mar 11th 2014 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11167178)

I was wondering why we've been getting junk calls from a home security system service, when I just realised that we have never registered our Vonage phone with the DNC registry. ..... But we still get virtually no sales calls. .... It is also more or less immune to political robocalls. :)

RICH Mar 11th 2014 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11167203)
Based on another similar question last year, you might want to avoid telling anyone in the UK, especially non-techy parents and their generation, that you've given them a mobile/ cell phone number because they're going to freak out that they're going be paying a premium rate to call that number. It has taken me about ten years to persuade my mother that it is OK, even preferable, to call my cell phone rather than call my home phone and find that I am "never home". :rolleyes:

My dad wants me to get on whatsapp. I am resisting.

AdobePinon Mar 11th 2014 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11167203)

+1. My mother still does not believe me.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 11th 2014 3:34 am

Temporary Protected Status?

dfrbrowne Mar 11th 2014 4:19 am

Thanks All.

rebs Mar 11th 2014 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11167253)
Temporary Protected Status?

Telephone Preference Service... http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

robin1234 Mar 11th 2014 9:36 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11167187)
Its not the sixties anymore.

Nothing wrong with pretending that it is though

Bob Mar 11th 2014 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11167178)

Rene

If you have a business relation with the company they can call, charity and political calls are exempt, otherwise it's a $10K fine per call, so just mention it to whoever calls you to make sure you're off the list and then report them anyway.

Bluegrass Lass Mar 11th 2014 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11167233)
My dad wants me to get on whatsapp. I am resisting.

OH and I use this all the time to chat between each other and his family. When we were in the US, this was the easiest way to stay in contact with his mom/dad in Scotland and his sister in South Africa. It beats paying international texting charges, that's for sure! Why resist Rich? It's easy to use...unless you are just trying to avoid talking to him! :lol: