Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is there a tax benefit?

Wikiposts

Is there a tax benefit?

Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:40 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Question Is there a tax benefit?

For being out of the US for the last 2 1/2 months of the year? I know they pay you to stay away for 6 months or more, but not sure about shorter periods. Reason being, if there's not, I honestly don't really want to tell the IRS. They don't need to know where we live now. So hubby asserts anyway.

Ta.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a tax benefit?

Originally Posted by Maz
For being out of the US for the last 2 1/2 months of the year? I know they pay you to stay away for 6 months or more, but not sure about shorter periods. Reason being, if there's not, I honestly don't really want to tell the IRS. They don't need to know where we live now. So hubby asserts anyway.

Ta.
Would you be eligible for the tax rebate?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:16 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Would you be eligible for the tax rebate?
Which one? The $600 Dubya's "giving" to everyone? ****ing well better be.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:15 am
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Maz

Ta.
As far as I know, there is not. The only thing is could do is work against you *I think* as at some point you'd have to file a 1040NR - and they suck.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:53 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

No...but there is eventually an $80,000 expat write off, along with a write off for housing allowances, but they only come into being after being out of the country for 12 months.

As a US citizen, you are required to file taxes no matter where you live pretty much until you die. Even if you have no income most professionals would recommend you do file anyway (rather than have to prove it later on should something come up). If you renounce citizenship, well, guess what--they still want tax forms to prove you are not just a tax dodger (eventually it ends).

There is a good forum on the UK Yankee site about taxes.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=11.0

Last edited by penguinsix; Mar 14th 2008 at 4:55 am.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:14 am
Maz

Originally Posted by Dan B
As far as I know, there is not. The only thing is could do is work against you *I think* as at some point you'd have to file a 1040NR - and they suck.
That sounds painful.

Thank you everyone for the responses, very much appreciated!