Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is there really a US-UK special relationship?

Wikiposts

Is there really a US-UK special relationship?

Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:04 pm
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there really a US-UK special relationship?

I personally don't think so. Most Americans don't rate us any higher than they rate France, and some of them rate us even lower than France.

We're just an obscure island nation to America. Some of them might have a superficial impression of the UK usually involving the Queen and red telephone boxes, but on the whole they know no more about the UK than they do France, Germany, Italy, etc.

This special relationship stuff in my opinion is a hang-over from WW2 that bares little resemblance to the US's attitude towards this country today.

Broadly speaking, the US's attitude towards the UK today is one of complete and utter indifference.

In fact, I would say in the last few years or so the US's attitude towards the UK has been somewhat negative, with their clear siding with Argentina over the Falkland's dispute.

The US Government even official refers to it as "Las Malvinas". Some special relationship!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there really a US-UK special relationship?

Originally Posted by COF
with their clear siding with Argentina over the Falkland's dispute.

The US Government even official refers to it as "Las Malvinas". Some special relationship!
Your first comment asserts the US government at the time clearly sided with Argentina.

That's not entirely true.

General Al Haig had arguably some bias, and the US had then, as it does now, various treaties in S America, including with Argentina, that meant it found itself in the middle of a pissing contest between 2 allies.

I'm glad Mrs T did an end run around Al Haig and frankly ignored him in the end.

As to your second statement quoted above - I find myself having the same doubts as you.

Obama's ambivalence is palpable. I think the 'special relationship' is different now, and the US is trying to have both its cake, and eat it.

In a little under 4 months it will be the 30th anniversary of the Falklands Conflict, and it just may be that Obama's use of the Malvinas tag, coupled with the domestic situation in Argentina, just might see something happen... the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force don't have the same capabilities to combat the Argentine forces that they had 30 years ago... though there are some new ones...

I have to say, as an ex HM Forces guy, I'm pretty friggin' disappointed in Obama's stance on this.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:13 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

You best believe in COF troll threads, 'cause you're in one...

The US supplied Sidewinder missiles to the UK at 48 hours notice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/se...alklands.world
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

WGAF, I mean really, WGAFF?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Special.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Special.
I'm not even sure there's a species relationship sometimes, let alone a special one.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
WGAF, I mean really, WGAFF?
can you educate me on the meaning of WGAF etc?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:40 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
can you educate me on the meaning of WGAF etc?
who gives a f***

the extra F in the second one was for 'flying'
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
who gives a f***

the extra F in the second one was for 'flying'
Thank you sir - feeling more edumacated already!!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:42 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Thank you sir - feeling more edumacated already!!
You learn something new every day, right?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COF
In fact, I would say in the last few years or so the US's attitude towards the UK has been somewhat negative, with their clear siding with Argentina over the Falkland's dispute.
Obviously there is a British history book and an American history book.

In March, Secretary of State Alexander Haig directed the United States Ambassador to Argentina to warn the Argentine government away from any invasion. President Reagan requested assurances from Galtieri against an invasion and offered the services of his Vice President, George H.W. Bush, as mediator, but was refused.

American non-interference was vital to the American-British relationship. Ascension Island, a British possession, was vital in the long term supply of the Task Force South; however, the airbase stationed on it was run and operated by the U.S. The American commander of the base was ordered to assist the British in any way and for a brief period Ascension Air Field was one of the busiest airports in the world. The most important NATO contributions were intelligence information and the rescheduled supply of the latest model of Sidewinder Lima all-aspect infra-red seeking missiles, which allowed existing British stocks to be employed. Margaret Thatcher stated that "without the Harrier jets and their immense manoeuvrability, equipped as they were with the latest version of the Sidewinder missile, supplied to us by U.S. Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, we could never have got back the Falklands." This is not only politically but militarily questionable, however, as all the Fleet Air Arm Sidewinder engagements proved to be from the rear.

In early May, Casper Weinberger offered the use of an American aircraft carrier.[20] This seemingly extremely generous offer was seen by some as vital: it was noted by Rear Admiral Woodward that the loss of Invincible would have been a severe setback, but the loss of Hermes would have meant an end to the whole operation. Weinberger admitted [21] that there would have been many problems if a request had ever been made; not least, it would have meant U.S. personnel becoming directly involved in the conflict, as training British forces to crew the vessel would have taken years.

Both Weinberger and Reagan were later awarded the British honour of Knight Commander of the British Empire (KBE). American critics of the U.S. role claimed that, by failing to side with Argentina, the U.S. violated its own Monroe Doctrine.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COF
I personally don't think so. Most Americans don't rate us any higher than they rate France, and some of them rate us even lower than France.

We're just an obscure island nation to America. Some of them might have a superficial impression of the UK usually involving the Queen and red telephone boxes, but on the whole they know no more about the UK than they do France, Germany, Italy, etc.

This special relationship stuff in my opinion is a hang-over from WW2 that bares little resemblance to the US's attitude towards this country today.

Broadly speaking, the US's attitude towards the UK today is one of complete and utter indifference.

To be completely honest with you, " Most Americans " really couldn't give 2 shits about the " Special UK-US relationship ". We are not even aware that such a thing exist ! We love and adore the Brits or anybody that has a semi Brit accent, Saffas, Ozzies, Zeelanders, etc, if you lived in the USA you would see how much the Brit accent impacts our daily televised lives, every other commercial on the tele is done in a Brit, Saffa, Ozzie, Zeeland accent.. To this day we are still guessing where the "f#*&ing Bloody Gieco Gecko comes from? Totally off topic, but is the OP for real ?
In regards to Islas de las Malvinas, They belong to the Americas, Finnish & Klaar !

Last edited by Oregon4now; Jan 18th 2012 at 7:35 pm. Reason: Just cuz I can....
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:03 pm
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
To be completely honest with you, " Most Americans " really couldn't give 2 shits about the " Special UK-US relationship ". We are not even aware that such a thing exist ! We love and adore the Brits or anybody that has a semi Brit accent, Saffas, Ozzies, Zeelanders, etc, if you lived in the USA you would see how much the Brit accent impacts our daily televised lives, every other commercial on the tele is done in a Brit, Saffa, Ozzie, Zeeland accent.. To this day we are still guessing where the "f#*&ing Bloody Gieco Gecko comes from? Totally off topic, but is the OP for real ?
In regards to Islas de las Malvinas, They belong to the Americas, Finnish & Klaar !
Unfortunately this chaps attitude is quite typical of Americans towards the British. They like us on a superficial level, and think our accents are qaint, but on the whole most of them couldn't give a crap about the UK on any serious level.

Also, I never said there was a US-UK special relationship. People who believe there is are 60 years out of date.

In fact, I've heard some absolute venom about British people spat out by Americans, some of them have a real problem with us, and it tends to be the sort who like the films The Patriot and Braveheart.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
on what grounds do the Falklands Islands belong to the Americas, whoever they are?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by COF
Unfortunately this chaps attitude is quite typical of Americans towards the British. They like us on a superficial level, and think our accents are qaint, but on the whole most of them couldn't give a crap about the UK on any serious level.

Also, I never said there was a US-UK special relationship. People who believe there is are 60 years out of date.

In fact, I've heard some absolute venom about British people spat out by Americans, some of them have a real problem with us, and it tends to be the sort who like the films The Patriot and Braveheart.
IMO - You don't know what you're talking about! If there is a fragility to the US/UK "special relationship", you're certainly not doing anything to strengthen it. Or is it your intention to widen the chasm between the two nationalities with such divisive suppositions and accusations? One of the biggest problems with American naivete is that we believe that all Englishmen are honest, truthful, duty-bound to their country and wouldn't stoop to such sh*t stirring as you're up to. I think you're a survivalist from Idaho who's looking for a reason to use his big guns and cammo!

P.S. I'll bet you've got brown eyes! And if you don't know what that means, "Google it!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.