Are there Hurricanes or Tornado's in Texas? n/m

Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Are there Hurricanes or Tornado's in Texas? n/m

n/m
Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:52 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there Hurricanes or Tornado's in Texas? n/m

Originally posted by whatever
n/m
Both, last year texas got hit by 2 hurricanes, I don't know how many tornados but it was a few

Patrick
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Suki Sue is an unknown quantity at this point

Only moved to Central Texas October last year, but have been warned by the locals we can expect a few tornados around March. Will keep you posted
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:42 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

n/m
We get tornados inland, 4 years ago one hit downtown Fort Worth causing quite a bit of damage. We're coming up to tornado season again so I'll have to start preparing the shelter aka cupboard under the stairs.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:19 pm
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends which part of Texas....

North Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth metro area) is at the southern end of "Tornado Alley". Ditto the High Plains/Panhandle area (Lubbock, Amarillo). But this can stretch as far south as Austin/San Antonio.

Gulf Coast Texas has to put up with the occasional hurricane.

West Texas (Big Bend/Rio Grande) is probably safest in this respect, maybe too mountainous/dry for this kinda weather. I could be wrong....

p22
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:30 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Galveston/Corpus Cristi has the hurricanes, anywhere else in Texas gets Tornados.

I remember that Tornado that Hit Fort Worth 4 years ago as it hit 2 days before I was getting married and had all my friends and relatives hiding in the bath tub in their hotel rooms.....scary stuff.

March,April and May are Tornado season, its amazing to watch, first everything goes really quiet, then everything goes green and the wind starts to swirl really aggressive, then it just pours down with rain. I was living in a apartment and the wind was trying to lift the flimsy garage port roofs off. The lightening storms are also amazing, they go on for hours non-stop fork lightening, scares the kids and pets though.

They had a small touchdown in Rockwall 2 years ago, but no serious damage.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:37 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

one more thing, I know when theres a weather change, as sometimes I get really bad headaches, my doctor said it was really common because of the air pressure just before the storm.

Funny to think my swede is a better storm watch, than Fox 4 weather forecast
Old Feb 21st 2004, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Hermotimus is an unknown quantity at this point

n/m
We get both hurricanes and tornadoes along the Texas coast (and of course, there are often tornadoes within a hurricane).

Hurricane season officially last between June 1 and November 30, with the peak time for really serious storms being August and September. I live right on the coast near Galveston, and we had a minor hurricane in mid-July tat sent a three-foot tidal wave smashing through the ground-floor of my house (the living area is raised).

Tornadoes typically come during the shift from cold weather to warm, or vice-versa, so they mostly hit in March-April or October/November. I've heard meterologists say the tornadoes along the coast are not the monster cyclones that hit the plains (including the Dallas area). But the minor twisters can be frightening - I've watched them rip the roof of a neighbor's house more than once (my house is apparently very well-built - I've been in the house when a tornado passed over, taking the roofs on either side,but not my own).

A tornado over the water - a waterspout - can be fascinating to watch. I've seen as many as five at a time over the Gulf, mostly thin little ropes of grey snaking down from the clouds.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I think they had a tiny little Tornado in Fort Worth last year that did some roof damage.

Two weeks after we moved here (Garland, right near Rowlett) last year, so mid April, we had night after night of amazing storms, one of which was very severe with huge hail that totally ruined our roof and a lot of cars in the neighbourhood. It sounded like bricks hitting the house and then the tornado siren went off. Freaked the kids out, scared the hell out of them with the noise of the storm, the siren and the warning sound on the telly. Hubby and I thought it was fantastic.

When the insurer came out to look at the damage he told us a tornado would wipe out the area as the houses are built so flimsily - he advised we build a storm shelter, but I'm just renting so I wouldn't do that here.

The lightning was truly beautiful to watch. Our house looks out on to an open field so our skyline at the moment (I'm just waiting for them to build houses and ruin my view) is just perfect for storm viewing. I am so looking forward to it starting again this year.

I wasn't prepared for how truly amazing the weather would be here in Texas.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:06 am
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the lightning "displays" here in texas are something to behold - I only ever once saw spectacular fork lightning like that in England, and we were in a caravan in North Cornwall at the time.

I remember that big hailstorm last year - I was talking to my wife on the phone as she was driving home (it was a Saturday evening, I was in San Antonio), and I could hear the hailstones hitting her car. She only ended up with a couple of hail dents (Buit Ford Tough, I guess!), but that was scary. Especially when she was in gridlock on I35 cos people were stopped in the underpasses at 635. Idiots!

And that big tornado that hit FW a couple of years ago, that was a scary day - we even had tornado warnings in Denton county. Tornados, probably hurricanes as well, are the only weather phenomena that scare me. I enjoy watching the lightning, but am rather wary when it hits a tree in a neighbour's yard and knocks out the power!!

p22
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 5:58 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by pilgrim22
Yes, the lightning "displays" here in texas are something to behold - I only ever once saw spectacular fork lightning like that in England, and we were in a caravan in North Cornwall at the time.

I remember that big hailstorm last year - I was talking to my wife on the phone as she was driving home (it was a Saturday evening, I was in San Antonio), and I could hear the hailstones hitting her car. She only ended up with a couple of hail dents (Buit Ford Tough, I guess!), but that was scary. Especially when she was in gridlock on I35 cos people were stopped in the underpasses at 635. Idiots!

And that big tornado that hit FW a couple of years ago, that was a scary day - we even had tornado warnings in Denton county. Tornados, probably hurricanes as well, are the only weather phenomena that scare me. I enjoy watching the lightning, but am rather wary when it hits a tree in a neighbour's yard and knocks out the power!!

p22
I remember the hailstorm too, we had just signed on our house on the friday before, and I had spent 2 weeks getting the house prepared before moving in (we were staying in Garland, when it happened). It wasn't until my neighbor was having his roof redone did I know just how much damage that it had done, baseball sized hail, every car parked outside that night was neigh on a write off.

Whatever - dont be too freaked out by the weather stories, Dallas usually isn't hit that hard by Tornados, as the twisters are usually boken up by the time it hits (usually Fort Worth is in the way). Twisters need alot of open fields to really build up and they usually come from the south west so thats why downtown Ft Worth got hit pretty hard.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually heard Fort Worth called the "Human Shield" on more than one occasion now.

Poor Fort Worth.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:34 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
I've actually heard Fort Worth called the "Human Shield" on more than one occasion now.

Poor Fort Worth.
Hey Snorky, are you getting any hail over in Garland right now?

It just went really dark in Rowlett, and we having pea sized hail, as I type this. I hope the hail doesn't get any bigger, theres no where to hide my car out of the way:scared:
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Yosser
Hey Snorky, are you getting any hail over in Garland right now?

It just went really dark in Rowlett, and we having pea sized hail, as I type this. I hope the hail doesn't get any bigger, theres no where to hide my car out of the way:scared:

Just got back from the school run. Man that was hairy. The rain and hail were so hard I could hardly see and of course that means everyone continues to drive at 50 and as usual another crash outside the highschool. Teenagers and big cars, just not a good idea.

It was just really really dark at 2.15pm. It's brightening up again now, give it a few hours it'll all change again

I found myself thinking , oh crap where on earth round here has cover? Luckily it was over quite quickly and wasn't big enough to cause any damage - well apart from the crashed cars of course but then there are usually several crashes a month outside the highschool without any interference from the weather
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:19 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Just got back from the school run. Man that was hairy. The rain and hail were so hard I could hardly see and of course that means everyone continues to drive at 50 and as usual another crash outside the highschool. Teenagers and big cars, just not a good idea.

It was just really really dark at 2.15pm. It's brightening up again now, give it a few hours it'll all change again

I found myself thinking , oh crap where on earth round here has cover? Luckily it was over quite quickly and wasn't big enough to cause any damage - well apart from the crashed cars of course but then there are usually several crashes a month outside the highschool without any interference from the weather
Good old Texas weather, the weekend was beautiful, I had shorts on all weekend - perfect weather.

Yep, rain/hail stopped, here comes the sun again