British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Is there a crackdown on Green card holders and how long they have been out of the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/there-crackdown-green-card-holders-how-long-they-have-been-out-us-781794/)

london66 Dec 28th 2012 10:27 pm

Is there a crackdown on Green card holders and how long they have been out of the US

Hi all

Travelled back from the UK yesterday after visiting for xmas and probably got one of the most miserable immigration inspectors ever, what a complete wanker. I was sent to his "station" - the one for crew, disabled passenger and diplomats and put my documents on the counter. Not even a hello was given just "put your documents there" whilst pointing to the lower level where the disabled passengers in wheel chairs can put their documents - what a lazy f****** I thought, couldn't be bothered to stretch a little.

First question - where do you live
Second question - how long have you been outside the states
Third question - what was the purpose of your visit
Fourth question - how long have you been outside the states
Then - right hand for finger prints
Then - photo
fifth question - how long have you been outside the states

all this without a please, smile or thankyou - usually at Boston I have found the immigration staff friendly - not this one, he then put my documents on the disabled desk for me to pickup.

It seemed a bit much to ask me how long I had been away so I'm wondering if there is a crack down on "permanent residence" who do not actually live in the country and come back once in a while to "renew" their residency. I actually hope there is as I think that it is wrong to live in another country if you have a green card.

Thanks

Brendan

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 28th 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Is there a crackdown on Green card holders and how long they have been out of the

They sound normal questions.

cranston Dec 28th 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Is there a crackdown on Green card holders and how long they have been out of the

that's the usual questions we get at Houston too.

Pulaski Dec 28th 2012 11:52 pm

They're similar to the ones I used to get when I was on a Green Card. .... Except for the first time I visited the US, when the fourth or fifth question was "are you going to get married [during the week you're here]", followed by the third degree about how long I'd know my girlfriend, where we'd met, when we were planning to get married, etc.

Speedwell Dec 29th 2012 12:48 am

I'm a USC and I don't get any better treatment than that half the time when I come back home.

Alan17 Dec 29th 2012 12:53 am

I found most of the immigration officers pleasant enough but with a few bad apples.

Since signing up with Global Entry a few years back I've never had to talk to any of them. Flying into LAX is now painless as all I have to talk to is one of the kiosk computers. Can't recommend it enough.

Pulaski Dec 29th 2012 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 10453695)
I'm a USC and I don't get any better treatment than that half the time when I come back home.

Mrs P got a thorough roasting by US Immigration when she returned to the US to get her visa to live in the UK. They asked her what the purpose of visit was - and she sooo wanted to tell them "I'm a frickin' US citizen, I have a right to be here!" Then the Customs officer she handed her customs declaration to asked her where she'd been, so she told them: the UK, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, and Switzerland; then they wanted to know why her customs declaration was so little, so she had to explain that her purchases were back in the UK as was moving there. :argue:

MarylandNed Dec 29th 2012 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 10453695)

Yep - I thought I'd be treated better after becoming a USC. However, my worst experience ever was at Dulles (near Washington DC) when returning from the UK as a USC.

discoviking Dec 29th 2012 3:17 pm

Yeah, sounds like normal questioning to me as well. It's also a common technique to ask the same question more than once to see if the answer is consistent. Cops do that, too.

yellowroom Dec 29th 2012 7:16 pm

Coming into Philly this afternoon, I got asked the purpose of my visit, what country I had come from today, my job title. The officer then looked at me and said he'd seen me before and hunted out the stamp in my passport from October with his number!

Went swimmingly after that, chatting about the holidays and the weather and I said id see him next time!

Ozzidoc Dec 30th 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 10454610)
Coming into Philly this afternoon, I got asked the purpose of my visit, what country I had come from today, my job title. The officer then looked at me and said he'd seen me before and hunted out the stamp in my passport from October with his number!

Went swimmingly after that, chatting about the holidays and the weather and I said id see him next time!

Ditto for me yesterday in San Diego. Except mine only last saw me less than two weeks previously :) The guy even remembered my last name!!

Steve_ Dec 31st 2012 12:03 am

There are some right jobsworths working in CBP, and CBSA for that matter. The worst ones I find are the ones who are ex-military and haven't been doing it for very long.

I agree on Global Entry, the idea behind it is that it is for frequent travellers but even if you aren't I would do it, saves so much hassle.

The Horticulturalist Dec 31st 2012 9:31 pm

How long does it take to get the global entry application processed?
We are travelling on the 21st January, I'd guess it would not happen before then?

lansbury Dec 31st 2012 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 10457548)
How long does it take to get the global entry application processed?
We are travelling on the 21st January, I'd guess it would not happen before then?

It isn't quick. You also really need to live in reasonable traveling distance of somewhere they do the interviews.

The Horticulturalist Dec 31st 2012 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10457600)
It isn't quick. You also really need to live in reasonable traveling distance of somewhere they do the interviews.

*groan* I didn't realise they do interviews, I'll wait till we get back before applying then. Where can I find out the places for interviews?