Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is there any way to listen to BBC radio time shifted to my time zone?

Is there any way to listen to BBC radio time shifted to my time zone?

Old Sep 10th 2018, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

BBCRadio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there any way to listen to BBC radio time shifted to my time zone?

I would like to listen to BBC radio (BBC 1, BBC 4, etc.) time shifted so that the morning show plays when it is morning here.

The BBC Radio app will allow me to listen to shows on-demand, so that gets close, but it is not quite the same.

Sirius/XM used to broadcast BBC Radio time shifted by 5 hours (behind UK time), but they don't any longer.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?
Old Sep 10th 2018, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any way to listen to BBC radio time shifted to my time zone?

I personally use podcasts to listen to BBC shows. The app is scheduled to download the programmes overnight and I listen to them in the morning.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Is there any way to listen to BBC radio time shifted to my time zone?

Originally Posted by mrken30
I personally use podcasts to listen to BBC shows. The app is scheduled to download the programmes overnight and I listen to them in the morning.
I, too, listen to many podcasts, BBC and otherwise. And the BBC Radio app has most of the shows "on-demand" as well.

What I want is something I can put on in the house and let it go all day. I can do that now (put on Radio 1 or Radio 4 and just let it stream for hours) but it isn't time shifted, meaning the morning programs are on at midnight, the evening show are on around noon, etc.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

The only way to do it is by recording audio stream on your PC. I came up to the solution to this problem by building my own radio recorder that in addition to record scheduled shows, it also creates RSS feeds. I setup web server on radio recorder and download new episodes to my smartphone every hour. Entire solution works great and I've been doing this for many years. It is bit complicated to setup at first, but I'm willing to share my knowledge and programs that I created to manage creation of RSS feeds.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by talkto_menow
The only way to do it is by recording audio stream on your PC. I came up to the solution to this problem by building my own radio recorder that in addition to record scheduled shows, it also creates RSS feeds. I setup web server on radio recorder and download new episodes to my smartphone every hour. Entire solution works great and I've been doing this for many years. It is bit complicated to setup at first, but I'm willing to share my knowledge and programs that I created to manage creation of RSS feeds.
I am 100% interested in this...
Old Sep 10th 2018, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

There is a little cost associated with it. You need a dedicated PC. Preferably small factor low power like Intel NUC. It does not have to be powerful, but it cannot be weak either. It needs to convert audio streams in a background. I addition you will have to purchase licenses for a software that does a recording. Some stations still use mp3/wma and some moved to more current mp4/aac. I use two different applications, Total Recorder and Replay Media Catcher. I found them to be the most reliable and flexible at the same. I believe there is also one more software required called dbpoweramp (I will check later) for audio conversion and tagging.

In addition you will need a Windows 7 or 10 license

The applications that I created are absolutely free
Old Sep 10th 2018, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

There is a little cost associated with it. You need a dedicated PC. Preferably small factor low power like Intel NUC. It does not have to be powerful, but it cannot be weak either. It needs to convert audio streams in a background. I addition you will have to purchase licenses for a software that does a recording. Some stations still use mp3/wma and some moved to more current mp4/aac. I use two different applications, Total Recorder and Replay Media Catcher. I found them to be the most reliable and flexible at the same. I believe there is also one more software required called dbpoweramp (I will check later) for audio conversion and tagging.

Sounds ok so far...

Do you, by chance, record BBC Radio 1 already? If so, does it work smoothly?
Old Sep 10th 2018, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

LBC mostly. I will have to find a link for BBC. From my experience if there is a problem it is caused by a radio station alone. LBC is smooth. I'm not from UK, so I'm not familiar with shows that are available on BBC 1. Is there any in particular you are interested? I can try to record it.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

LBC mostly. I will have to find a link for BBC. From my experience if there is a problem it is caused by a radio station alone. LBC is smooth. I'm not from UK, so I'm not familiar with shows that are available on BBC 1. Is there any in particular you are interested? I can try to record it.
I am mostly interested in time shifting The Radio 1 Breakfast Show. I know the BBC live streams it from their site...
Old Sep 10th 2018, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

I will try to record it and I will let you know how it works
Old Sep 10th 2018, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

I will try to record it and I will let you know how it works
Awesome, thanks!
Old Sep 12th 2018, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I have no interest in the time-shifting part of this, but I did want to record for later playback various radio shows, and I found the program 'Audacity' to be extremely powerful. It allowed me to record, and then later edit to remove commercials, etc. Free and well supported. Interestingly, though, I tested it on my Mac and on my PC (both recent, high-end models) and the quality of the recording on the Mac was much better for reasons I didn't get to the bottom of. Anyway - Audacity seems to be a good free solution that may fit into your strategy.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

AJCC is an unknown quantity at this point

The BBC radio player allows you to stream any show from any of the national channels, at any time. So you could start the breakfast show at the same time locally and it would sync.
I lived in Kansas for 2 years (2015-2017) and listened to the BBC 6 Music breakfast show on my morning commute via phone/car speakers
Easy peasy ..