Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is there any truth in the love for the accent?

Is there any truth in the love for the accent?

Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

qprchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is there any truth in the love for the accent?

Originally Posted by tonrob
Are you always such a tit? I think you'll be a great addition to BE. We could use the entertainment.
No. Chill out.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all

I dont have a particularly NICE brit accent - part midlands part west country lol - but i think i must talk REALLY loud and VERY much, cause i honestly get comments ( nice ones!!! ) on my accent EVERY time i am in the USA and thats at least twice a month!!!!

HOWEVER I think that the accent attraction in my us/uk relationship was on the other foot - he is kentucky mountains and still to this day his voice makes me drool down my bib n braces : )
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:14 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babybyrd
I dont have a particularly NICE brit accent - part midlands part west country lol - but i think i must talk REALLY loud and VERY much, cause i honestly get comments ( nice ones!!! ) on my accent EVERY time i am in the USA and thats at least twice a month!!!!
This just goes to show that there are no intrinsic bad or good accents, just cultural overlays of assumption that get shoveled on top of peoples hearing.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Probably depends on how much of a minger you are. You're not ginger or anything, are you?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

British-Irish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spazman21
Why's the stick shitty?
He means, you will get so many girls that you will have to fight them off, the stick is shitty as that be your only defence of keeping the girls away from you, as your accent will drive them crazy.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

If they love the accent so much, why is my wife always telling me to shut the **** up?

I'm going to try to get my 1 year old to learn to talk with a Belfast accent, just to piss her off
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:50 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spazman21
So, I'm going to be in NYC for the next 4 years at university, and was wondering if Americans really love the accent as much as I've heard they do (I know it's a generalisation, but you know what I mean).

Basically, will American chicks drop their panties when I start speaking?

Thanks

P.S. DON'T give me shit about generalisations. Just tell me honestly, do you get more female attention because of your accent?
The answer, in my experience, is yes - but you need to do some work on your act.
Let me explain.
I first went to North America over 30 years ago, picking tobacco in Canada and then hitch-hiking all the way across to the West Coast picking up casual labour on the way in whatever job I could find ( I know, it sounds bonkers today. )
Before I left the UK I was advised to take with me a small Union Jack and drape it over my rucksack when hitch-hiking.
It was a fantastic piece of advice - as soon as I put the flag out cars would literally screech to a halt to pick up the Brit.
Many Americans had never spoken to a real Brit then. In some parts of the deep south some Americans had never even spoken to someone from the next state.
They simply loved the accent, particularly the bored middle-aged women who picked me up ( I know, it sounds bonkers today. )
After the first couple of roadside romps I grew more confident and starting embellishing my story creating this character of being the wayward son of the Marquis of Rutland ( what always got them was a long convoluted piece of nonsense I used to come up with about the difference between an Earl,Duke,Marquis and Viscount. )
In short I had a brilliant time tupping gullible American women over one particularly memorable summer on the road.
These days, however, I suspect American woman are less amenable then they used to be to the vocal twang of their knicker elastic with a Brit accent - but given the right story probably not much.
Good luck, you'll have great fun finding out.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
After the first couple of roadside romps I grew more confident and starting embellishing my story creating this character of being the wayward son of the Marquis of Rutland ( what always got them was a long convoluted piece of nonsense I used to come up with about the difference between an Earl,Duke,Marquis and Viscount. )
I like it. Wayward son? That's a nice touch. I have some friends back in England who have it all planned to be someone like The Earl of Totton when they come over here.

I think you'd still get away with making up stuff like that in a lot of places over here. Just make sure that you have a connection with someone from the Beatles and that's it - you'd be the hottest bloke in town.

To answer the original question seriously. Yes - I'd say your accent *can* help you when chatting up ladies. However if you are pig sh#t ugly and/or don't know what to say with that 'exotic accent' of yours then you'll still be playing with Tommy the Tanker every night. Just opening your mouth with an English accent won't have them drooling at your knees...
Old Apr 29th 2011, 12:49 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

The answer, in my experience, is yes - but you need to do some work on your act.
Let me explain.
I first went to North America over 30 years ago, picking tobacco in Canada and then hitch-hiking all the way across to the West Coast picking up casual labour on the way in whatever job I could find ( I know, it sounds bonkers today. )
Before I left the UK I was advised to take with me a small Union Jack and drape it over my rucksack when hitch-hiking.
It was a fantastic piece of advice - as soon as I put the flag out cars would literally screech to a halt to pick up the Brit.
Many Americans had never spoken to a real Brit then. In some parts of the deep south some Americans had never even spoken to someone from the next state.
They simply loved the accent, particularly the bored middle-aged women who picked me up ( I know, it sounds bonkers today. )
In short I had a brilliant time tupping gullible American women over one particularly memorable summer on the road.
These days, however, I suspect American woman are less amenable then they used to be to the vocal twang of their knicker elastic with a Brit accent - but given the right story probably not much.
Good luck, you'll have great fun finding out.

Did you put a hat on it? Or are there maybe a few little Brits running around you don't know about!
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:43 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I beg your collective pardons in advance for this link.

Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I beg your collective pardons in advance for this link.

Likewise for this ...
Attached Thumbnails Is there any truth in the love for the accent?-feeling_lucky.jpg  
Old Apr 29th 2011, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I first went to North America over 30 years ago, picking tobacco in Canada...
That reminds me of the Stompin' Tom Connors song "Tillsonburg".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6EiYbRTv4M

I love the chorus... "Tillsonburg, Tillsonburg, my back still aches when I hear that word".

Ian
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

katieonaplan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends...accent alone might help if you got over heard, but not being a twonk will probably get you further
I joined this community today and I'm American, hope you don't disallow me to visit occasionally. I have learned over time that I might as well be British -loved my recent visit to London; husband vows to take me to Bath, which he favors; really like the accent and the people; and the humor/wit.

Had clotted cream and Jammy Dodgers this morning, and, well yes, liked them!

I've been practiing the accent for a performance in "Noises Off!" and have found it is slipping in to my regular speech.

Yes, we ladies all are suckers for men with accents - especially British ones. But, remember not to be a jerk!
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:48 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katieonaplan
I joined this community today and I'm American, hope you don't disallow me to visit occasionally. I have learned over time that I might as well be British -loved my recent visit to London; husband vows to take me to Bath, which he favors; really like the accent and the people; and the humor/wit.

Had clotted cream and Jammy Dodgers this morning, and, well yes, liked them!

I've been practiing the accent for a performance in "Noises Off!" and have found it is slipping in to my regular speech.

Yes, we ladies all are suckers for men with accents - especially British ones. But, remember not to be a jerk!
Welcome to BE. Plenty of other Americans on here so don't worry about that.

Nice to see a fellow actor among us too . I was going to go for a part in 'Noises Off" myself but I wasn't able to make it to the audition in the end.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:23 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That reminds me of the Stompin' Tom Connors song "Tillsonburg".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6EiYbRTv4M

I love the chorus... "Tillsonburg, Tillsonburg, my back still aches when I hear that word".

Ian
Well ain't that a coincidence because it was at a farm just outside Tillsonburg where I spent nearly a month picking tobacco.
Sleeping in a wooden bunkhouse with a bunch of itinerant workers from all over, up before dawn to sit on a ground-level trailer picking tobacco leaves until just after lunchtime when it was too hot to work and then quick shower and into town to hit the bars.
I had great fun as a wet-behind-the-ears 18-year-old and I was lucky to fall in with a kindly tobacco farmer and his family who kept an eye on me.
Earned enough money to hitch-hike across to Niagara Falls and into the States before spending weeks journeying and shagging across to San Fransisco.
Of course that was before AIDS, terrorism and the Department of Homeland Security.
Try hitch-hiking today !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.