Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is there any truth in the love for the accent?

Is there any truth in the love for the accent?

Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any truth in the love for the accent?

I have flirted with a few guys at our corp office because they think my accent is 'sexy'... of course their opinion might be different if they saw me in person LOL
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

BKKJames has a reputation beyond reputeBKKJames has a reputation beyond reputeBKKJames has a reputation beyond reputeBKKJames has a reputation beyond reputeBKKJames has a reputation beyond reputeBKKJames has a reputation beyond reputeBKKJames has a reputation beyond reputeBKKJames has a reputation beyond reputeBKKJames has a reputation beyond reputeBKKJames has a reputation beyond reputeBKKJames has a reputation beyond repute

I think yes without doubt, my ex-gf is american and guess what drew her to me?
You can see the beaming smile across some girls faces when they hear you speak. Although this is california, i think maybe in New York they are more used to british accents? I was also told that the posh accent isn't as attractive as the more local dialiects (im from suffolk lol), but this is just from experience!
Regardless you'll still have a good head start over american guys
good luck!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:10 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Why do people relate minger with ginger? Nothing wrong with ginger although I would argue that I am auburn and not a ginner!
There you go then.

Originally Posted by Wolfy
My mother was Ginger!
The rule does not apply to women. Ginger birds can be hotties.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lakersdarge
In all honesty, I think a British accent can give guys (and possibly girls too) a bit of an "unfair advantage". I'm neither very good looking nor particularly ugly, just ordinary looking I suppose, but the fact is that when I was in England I basically never got talked to by girls, but when I first came over here in my 20s I was talked to all the time and even flirted with, without me even trying. It was like night and day. Example of somethinf I would hear quite often- "you sound so intelligent!"... I had to stop myself from telling them that I'm really quite a stupid guy, and not special in any way shape or form. I felt like saying "I don't know what amazing romantic image you have of British men in your mind, but I can guarantee I'm not it!". Honestly, I think a lot of Americans have the Anglophile gene in them to different degrees (it probably helps explain why the Royal Wedding stuff seems to have taken over every TV channel here). Unfortunately I was never much of a ladies man, so I was never able to take advantage of it, as it were.

I'm happily married to a wonderful woman now though, so it doesn't matter of course.
I think it applies for either sex in all aspects. When I was younger I got quite a lot of attention from the opposite sex and now that I am older I find people still seem to pay attention to me. It has to be the accent!!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Road Apple
The accent will not help with American women, they think it sounds "gay"...
Perhaps American women just think that you are gay... and so that's the conclusion you've come to!

... it will help in getting a job because Americans think people with a british accent are well educated.
Your penchant for generalization is amusing, but your conclusions are wrong.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Apr 25th 2011 at 2:30 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Ian,
I've actually heard that Britich accent = assumption of education from a bunch of Americans.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
I've actually heard that Britich accent = assumption of education from a bunch of Americans.
Oh, I don't doubt that there are those who make that assumption. My point, apparently not made clearly enough, was in regards to the use of the totality of the term "Americans". The implication was that all Americans believe it... which clearly isn't true!

Ian
Old Apr 26th 2011, 12:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Ian,
Which going on a slight tangent, the twonky royal wedding and all the talk of Kate being a commoner, commoner my b@ll@cks, having around £20M in your pocket and going to one of the poshest private schools around does not a commoner make
Old Apr 26th 2011, 12:55 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Which going on a slight tangent, the twonky royal wedding and all the talk of Kate being a commoner, commoner my b@ll@cks, having around £20M in your pocket and going to one of the poshest private schools around does not a commoner make
All that new money is just downright vulgar. It's breeding and bloodlines that count, don't you know.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
All that new money is just downright vulgar. It's breeding and bloodlines that count, don't you know.
... inbreeding actually ...
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:01 am
Just Joined

qprchris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
Probably depends on how much of a minger you are. You're not ginger or anything, are you?
Equating gingers with mingers, how very.. old

It's an incredibly attractive hair colour. On the right person.

Brits in NY are common as muck, I wouldn't expect any special treatment. Should have chosen somewhere less international if the point of the exercise is a sex holiday. Fail!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 2:51 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qprchris
Equating gingers with mingers, how very.. old

It's an incredibly attractive hair colour. On the right person.

Brits in NY are common as muck, I wouldn't expect any special treatment. Should have chosen somewhere less international if the point of the exercise is a sex holiday. Fail!
Thanks for your input.

I'm not looking for a sex holiday. I am not the OP. Go back and read again.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

qprchris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
Thanks for your input.

I'm not looking for a sex holiday. I am not the OP. Go back and read again.
Thanks for picking me up so efficiently on forum etiquette.

Luckily I think the OP and other subscribers to the thread are also adhering to the protocol by reading it from the beginning first. Thus I am sure they are quite capable of working out which point is directed at whom.

But I did go back and read it again, it's good. I rate it a 4
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I know! They showed her childhood home on the TODAY show and it was "only" a 4-bedroom house and... wait for it... a duplex. Oh, the humanity

It was in Reading and probably about a 750,000 pound home. But they were showing the kitchen and fridge like they were tiny, when in fact by UK standards, it was really quite large. Sure, compared to a 3000 sq ft Mc-Mansion in Kentucky it looked a little on the small side, but it's hardly a reasonable comparison.

More on topic, yes the accent helps. But probably not as much in NYC. When I was in Dallas, I was practically a B-class celebrity.

In Boston, I get the odd comment and sure... a little more female attention than in the UK, but it's not like I'm beating them off with sticks I'm married though. I'm sure if I took the ring off, they'd be hanging off me
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:21 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by qprchris
Thanks for picking me up so efficiently on forum etiquette.

Luckily I think the OP and other subscribers to the thread are also adhering to the protocol by reading it from the beginning first. Thus I am sure they are quite capable of working out which point is directed at whom.

But I did go back and read it again, it's good. I rate it a 4
Are you always such a tit? I think you'll be a great addition to BE. We could use the entertainment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.