British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Is there any News in American Newscasts? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/there-any-news-american-newscasts-472133/)

DIRECTV Aug 7th 2007 5:12 am

Is there any News in American Newscasts?

I just watched my local news and so far there's been two dog stories, a cat story, a squirrel on water ski's story, and funny story about a pig getting caught in a doggy door. I thought I was watching Animal Planet for a second. What happened to the news?

USBound Aug 7th 2007 10:30 am

Re: Is there any News in American Newscasts?

they only show news when no one is watching... prime time news = entertainment news

Mallory Aug 7th 2007 11:31 am

Just watching CNN - 2nd case of foot and mouth disease detected in UK.

another bloody yank Aug 7th 2007 11:40 am

No.

Adnams Aug 7th 2007 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by DIRECTV (Post 5157179)
I just watched my local news and so far there's been two dog stories, a cat story, a squirrel on water ski's story, and funny story about a pig getting caught in a doggy door. I thought I was watching Animal Planet for a second. What happened to the news?

Its hopeless turn it off and put the radio on. World service if you have it but at the very least NPR.

Irn-bru Aug 7th 2007 12:54 pm

I rarely watched local news either here of back in the UK as it always seemed to be like that.

I get my news quickly of google news as they have a variety of papers and sources so you can usually get a balanced view of whats going on quickly without ads etc.

TruBrit Aug 7th 2007 1:21 pm

What happened to the news?

no news m8 but you'll get used to it.

thatgirl Aug 13th 2007 2:05 pm

no news.

(speaking as an american... married to a brit...)

even before he came over... I realized there was no news on us media, for the most part, and started getting my news online.

it's never been great, but since media deregulation in clinton's era... what passes for "news" is really pretty ridiculous. and it's continually getting worse.

the BBC--online--is your best bet to get any news.

sad but true.

lisag8070 Aug 13th 2007 2:21 pm

I find the US News to be nothing more than 2 second sound bites, they probably do this to make it sound really interesting but then you watch it and that 2 seconds was all the news they had!

e.g. Why you could be dying of poison gases and don't even know it, tune in tonight at 11:00 pm (this is aired at 10:00 am) so you spend all day wondering if your breathing in the toxic gases...:confused:

BBC World news on the tinternet is the best I've found for info

anotherlimey Aug 13th 2007 3:07 pm

No idea, but I'm sure it will be back when the new season of American Idol starts...

Rete Aug 13th 2007 3:20 pm

Nope, not allowed. It might upset our very delicate constitutions.

twiggy1984 Aug 13th 2007 4:19 pm

It's the silly season... August is always slow for news, thus all the cuddlies coming out to play on the telly.

Mind you though... has anyone seen Katie Couric on the evening news? it's silly season year round for CBS!

another bloody yank Aug 13th 2007 4:35 pm

Real news doesn't sell adtime. Sensationalist crap does. I think it's as simple as that.

Elvira Aug 13th 2007 4:54 pm

Jon Stewart is the only serious newscaster you'll find on any commercial channel in the US...

Maz Aug 13th 2007 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5184030)
Jon Stewart is the only serious newscaster you'll find on any commercial channel in the US...

That's very true! And he's on Comedy Central...

I love his interviews, he gets in people from all over the spectrum. Much R-E-S-T-E-C-P (sic) for him. :thumbup: :wub: