Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Originally Posted by lairdside
Hey if your son fancies a trip out west (with all of the snow we've been having) give me a shout he can stay here.

Also I have a friend who lives in the Catskills, is a prosnowboarder for The North Face Extreme Snowboarding Team..... I could hook them up, it would be dope and Dave would be stoked
hey stranger, happy birthday for t'other day
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:43 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Manc
hey stranger, happy birthday for t'other day
Hey thanks Manc babe!

Just to add to the topic discussed....

I am happy here, I love Tahoe in particular and No Cal. I have adjusted, adapted and settled here. Even though the marriage I moved for is in the can I plan to stay.

Of course there had to be a spanner in the works. In my case it's that I'm currently involved with someone in the UK (just HAD to happen when I lived here right?)

C'est la vie.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 4:06 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by lairdside
Hey thanks Manc babe!

Just to add to the topic discussed....

I am happy here, I love Tahoe in particular and No Cal. I have adjusted, adapted and settled here. Even though the marriage I moved for is in the can I plan to stay.

Of course there had to be a spanner in the works. In my case it's that I'm currently involved with someone in the UK (just HAD to happen when I lived here right?)

C'est la vie.
Ahhhh, Lairdside ... "as I live and breath" ... welcome back girl! Hope u stay around for a while more... hope it works out for you and that UK fella, lucky man that he is.

Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:22 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Franklin
Ahhhh, Lairdside ... "as I live and breath" ... welcome back girl! Hope u stay around for a while more... hope it works out for you and that UK fella, lucky man that he is.
Thanks

I'll be sure to be popping in a regular basis.... got my hands full (as usual) but I've finally arisen out of the mire ....

As for the relationship, I was minding my own business, putting my life back in order, getting fit, lost a ton of weight in the process too... the usual stuff. Defo not looking and neither was he. Met through a mutual interest, looking good so far. I'm terribly happy (happier than I remember actually) and feeling (and acting) about 17 again..lmao

I'm game for almost anything as long as it is in accordance with my philosophy on life.....

IT HAS TO BE FUN!!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:15 pm
Banned

precise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Undecided Scot
Are there arny Expats living in the US, that are happy and want to remain living in the country? If so, how do you do it?

It seems to me that there are many who want to return home (be it after 1 year, 5 years or 10 years...).
I am very happy living in the US.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=The Undecided Scot]Are there arny Expats living in the US, that are happy and want to remain living in the country? If so, how do you do it?

I'm as happy as a pig in shit.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 1:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Undecided Scot
Are there arny Expats living in the US, that are happy and want to remain living in the country? If so, how do you do it?

It seems to me that there are many who want to return home (be it after 1 year, 5 years or 10 years...).
Yes, me. Life is good, much better than in the UK. I am settled here, and after three years I can see no circumstances under which I would ever go back to the UK to live.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:01 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, me. Life is good, much better than in the UK. I am settled here, and after three years I can see no circumstances under which I would ever go back to the UK to live.
What state do you live in Pulaski that helps you feel this good about living in the USofA. I seem to recall you live in North or South Carolina ... but my memory might be tuned into Classic FM ... help me out here Pulaski; I assume we are not talking about any state secrets *ba da boom*

Shockingly lappy about lipping in the YouSA

Last edited by Franklin; Jan 28th 2005 at 3:07 am.

Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:27 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Don't think you'll get that in the UK, my husband probably used to work on average 70 hours a week, his mobile never stopped, ever, he worked most weekends, was up 'til god knows what time at night doing his email and now living here, working for the same company he starts at about 7.30, finishes at 4pm, Monday to Friday and thats it, no weekends, no nothing. We have had to come to the other side of the world but my son now sees his dad every night for at least 3 hours before bed, we have weekends to do whatever we want and its brilliant. People in the UK are so overworked its not true!
You're in the minority then.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tony_2003
You're in the minority then.
As the husband in question Woodsey is spot on. I do go in early and my days are very full - I run a very large IT dept - but people come in to work and not chat around coffee machines. Short lunches and short meeting are the order of day. I have worked one weekend in seven months and spend minimal time working at home as I am now so much more productive in the office.
In the UK I had responsibility for Europe and was expected to travel 30 weeks a year - in the US I have global responsibility and have left CA twice in 7 seven months.
I think (just like our daughters school) Americans are very dedicated to the task at hand and the social aspect of work and school is non existent. Stuff gets done - I have no issue from a work perspective this being the case (different opinion on school though) as i get to spend time with the wife and kids enjoyinh the weather

and I love it .....
Old Jan 28th 2005, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
As the husband in question Woodsey is spot on. I do go in early and my days are very full - I run a very large IT dept - but people come in to work and not chat around coffee machines. Short lunches and short meeting are the order of day. I have worked one weekend in seven months and spend minimal time working at home as I am now so much more productive in the office.
In the UK I had responsibility for Europe and was expected to travel 30 weeks a year - in the US I have global responsibility and have left CA twice in 7 seven months.
I think (just like our daughters school) Americans are very dedicated to the task at hand and the social aspect of work and school is non existent. Stuff gets done - I have no issue from a work perspective this being the case (different opinion on school though) as i get to spend time with the wife and kids enjoyinh the weather

and I love it .....
if I were an Aston Villa fan I would want to get 7,000 miles away
Old Jan 28th 2005, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by psb182
if I were an Aston Villa fan I would want to get 7,000 miles away

Sad thing is I still put myself through the pain of watching that shower of shit but pay $300 per year and get up at a daft time in morning to do so

cant change where you're from huh ..
Old Jan 28th 2005, 11:18 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

The idea of the American dream is long gone. It's puritan 200 years old and it doesn't relate to people any more. One cannot come to Ellis Island, work in a sweatshop for a few months and with the earnings go and buy 100 acres in West Virginia to be self sufficient. However the dream of self sufficiency still lives on, but now it's all greed, getting ahead of your fellow man whilst shoving him down whilst you're on your way up.

The past 10 years has seen a new European dream based on totally different values, secularism, diversity, social equality, communities, friendships and leisure time. The trouble is, the Europeans have an inferiority complex and are not as blatant about bragging about the great things in Europe. The new European dream needs to be ratified within two years with the signing of the EU constitution. If Europe bottles it, then the experiment has failed. But I ask you, is it not better to persue a dream of friendships, leisure time, communities and social well being over the persuit of money and materialistic ideals?
I think if you ask most people they'll say yes.

EU has the largest economy in the world, with 10.2 trillion dollars, and I reckon it is just a matter of time before OPEC starts trading in Euro's. Airbus has overtaken Boeing. 4 out of the 6 largest banks in the world are EU based.

The average EU worker has more production per man hour than the average US worker. They have more vacation time in the EU yet, still get the job done.

You cannot look at Europe simply as individual countries, because the youth of the EU are beginning to see themselves more and more as European and not Italian/Dutch/Danish etc etc.

America is good. But the American dream is dead. It was worth dying for, but the New European dream is worth living for. I just hope the UK especially doesn't bottle it with the Euro and the constitution.

And Turkey should be allowed in, as it brings in a lot of new young workers, and opens the door to a industrialised islamic country. Which in turn will give hope to thousands of other muslim kids that they too can live in harmony with other countries. And you know, the terrorism lark might just stop.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 11:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
The past 10 years has seen a new European dream based on totally different values, secularism, diversity, social equality, communities, friendships and leisure time. The trouble is, the Europeans have an inferiority complex and are not as blatant about bragging about the great things in Europe. The new European dream needs to be ratified within two years with the signing of the EU constitution. If Europe bottles it, then the experiment has failed. But I ask you, is it not better to persue a dream of friendships, leisure time, communities and social well being over the persuit of money and materialistic ideals?.
worth karma, that whole speal...but I'm on the spread run, so anyone else care to give the man a shot?
Old Jan 29th 2005, 12:00 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
worth karma, that whole speal...but I'm on the spread run, so anyone else care to give the man a shot?
I would but I can't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.