Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Originally Posted by asdasd12345
hello. i came to the USA from england when i was 15. i turn 30 today. i went back to england with the intention of living there in november 2005, but it was a giant culture shock and i absolutely hated it. the lifestyle of living in an upper class neighborhood in orlando, florida had totally spoiled me. i missed america a lot. i stayed in england for a while, then i went to visit my sister in houston but absolutely hated it. then i came back to orlando, and it doesnt seem as nice as when i lived here, but mainly because i am staying in a very poor area. i visited north carolina (raleigh) recently and it was very nice there, but im not sure how it would be for a single guy like me. im a bit confused about what to do right now. im not sure if i want to stay liiving in america, i like the weather and the cost of living here and america has a lot of cute girls. i dont want to go back to england because its far too expensive and i found most people there very rude, and the culture revolved around drinking. so maybe i will stay in the US or maybe try canada or austrialia. anyway, im very confused really. but living in america so long, makes england seem like a dump when you go back.
Hi, what a cute name Asdad12345....suppose it could have been Walmart12345. Welcome to BE.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Welcome.
Nice avatar....what a lovely hunk of a man....from my home town too....actually he used to live near me.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:02 pm
Banned

asdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant future

anyway, thanks for the welcomes. i will continue to drone. when i was in england, i thought all the friends that i had kept in touch with while i was in america, would want to hang out with me and stuff. none of them did. i guess they were too busy. i became aware that i wasnt really english anymore, i was more american than english. but then in america, i realized i was more english than american. so im drifting in some kind of limbo half way between cultures, with half an english accent and half of an american one, but just enough to stand out in either place. in america, im noticed as english, and in england im mistook for being an american (which isnt a good thing nowadays). i was thinking of returning to england to go to an access to medicine course to train to become a doctor. i figure if i become a doctor i will be employable and not poor whereever i go in the world.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Nice avatar....what a lovely hunk of a man....from my home town too....actually he used to live near me.
One for the ladies.
I used to live down the road from Pete Gabriel, in Bath.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

One for the ladies.
I used to live down the road from Pete Gabriel, in Bath.
I sat next to Roger Daltrey...he was waiting like the rest of us for a US Visa at the US Embassy in London...May 1996.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

I sat next to Roger Daltrey...he was waiting like the rest of us for a US Visa at the US Embassy in London...May 1996.

........Who ?

I HAD to do that.

-All his money and he had to wait with the rest of us. He's cool though. Allways kind of liked the Who's stuff.

Last edited by gardnma; Jul 14th 2006 at 11:24 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

........Who ?

I HAD to do that.

-All his money and he had to wait with the rest of us. He's cool though. Allways kind of liked the Who's stuff.

Yep the one and only.

That's exactly what I thought.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:04 am
Account Closed

Yep the one and only.

That's exactly what I thought.
Back later on.

Tra
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

jobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tolos
I have good days and bad days here in the US. The difficulty for me is that I've never been material person. The things I treasure most in life are family, and time spent with good friends. So it's often tough to justify leaving all that behind for a bigger house, faster car, and more money in the bank. Sure, I love the food here, the weather, the outdoors lifestyle and my luxuries...but some days I'd trade it all to be back in the local 'hole in the wall' with my mates, enjoying that comforting smell of stale beer and urine in a true British pub.

Of course, when I have those bad days and I tell the friends back home that I miss them and am having second thoughts, I get the old "You're *****ing mad...I wouldn't give up life in America to come back to this sh*tty country". Then I remember how lucky I am and rejuvenate my love for the US.

I often tell people that if I could group up my friends and relatives into a big box and ship them over here, life would be perfect.

So basically, I run hot and cold. Some days I long for the comforts of home and a pan of my old mam's Irish stew while watching the match, other days I find myself sitting out by the pool, enjoying the sun and BBQing a steak..and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Tolos....Apart from the Irish stew (ug) I could have written this.. In fact if you read my earlier posts you will see I was having a 'bad' day! Things are brighter this week.. so I echo all that you said. Don't think I could have put it better!

Jobyone
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

jobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by asdasd12345
anyway, thanks for the welcomes. i will continue to drone. when i was in england, i thought all the friends that i had kept in touch with while i was in america, would want to hang out with me and stuff. none of them did. i guess they were too busy. i became aware that i wasnt really english anymore, i was more american than english. but then in america, i realized i was more english than american. so im drifting in some kind of limbo half way between cultures, with half an english accent and half of an american one, but just enough to stand out in either place. in america, im noticed as english, and in england im mistook for being an american (which isnt a good thing nowadays). i was thinking of returning to england to go to an access to medicine course to train to become a doctor. i figure if i become a doctor i will be employable and not poor whereever i go in the world.
A couple of things come to mind... don't take it personally that people didn't want to hang out with you back in the UK, I used to travel all over and when I got back it was always the same, you were a novelty but then the truth is people got on with their lives... it took me a while to get used to it but I eventually worked out that people are just people - it's nothing personal. Secondly, earlier you mentioned that the Brit culture revolves around booze, it is true - but what's yer point? Ar, Ar...
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

It'll be 20 for me next April. Not much magic about the time from this perspective. England often seems very distant - yet occasionally very, very close.

Here's a thing I haven't dug up in this forum yet. About '90 to '92 there was a bloke at my job from UK also. We agreed that when we first came to US there were two stages. First, you became quite American (loses slang, talks with a twang to avoid confusion, etc) Second, you became very English - I mean fickin' ridiculous English, (watching crap from UK on TV you'd never otherwise watch) speaking more precisely, Union Jacks on the car, etc.

Anyone attest to this?
Think I have been in phase 2 for a while now... I watch some serious crap on the Brit channel!
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jobyone1
Think I have been in phase 2 for a while now... I watch some serious crap on the Brit channel!
I actually watched Benny Hill the other day and felt guilty afterwards.

..............I'm doomed !!!
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

I actually watched Benny Hill the other day and felt guilty afterwards.

..............I'm doomed !!!
nope.. won't do it, can't do it.. you really are doomed!
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:33 am
Account Closed

nope.. won't do it, can't do it.. you really are doomed!
I have a large library including Dibley, Father Ted and other such nonsense to keep the beast away. Hi Joby. Things going well?
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:34 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

It's bad when your ears perk up because you hear Phil Ligget commentate on the Tour de France on Discovery and you think it's Channel 4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.