Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ditto...although my husband's not home by 6pm...7 or 8 maybe. Only takes him 30 mins to drive to the office here...compared to 2 hrs in the UK.

PS and we are not considering moving to Oz.
It's a 20 minute walk for my hubby compared for a 2 hour drive back in the UK!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patbrit7
Aaah! So actually, moving to Oz is the answer, and a good bottle of Fosters! Shame I'm a bit long in the tooth for that kind of move, and I don't think they need anymore teachers Always wanted to go to Australia, particularly since reading Bryson's book. Wouldn't want to meet up with any funnel web spiders or box jellyfish though!
Brysons book got me hooked too! I read it before I went to visit and again after. I'm not a spider fan, but they didn't bother me when I visited. I think you can have your house sprayed and I'm not a big sea swimmer so the jelly fish should stay well out of my way!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

alpine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I was happy to live in the usa but realise that the usa cannot think outside the box and worried in case I become ill like what has happened to this person

The USA has no compassion. It is about time us legals got heard and stuck together

Here is the story

Published in the ledger

Published Saturday, June 24, 2006
Saturday, June 24, 2006

Legal Path Can Be Just As Difficult

By Bill Rufty
The Ledger

Last edited by Rete; Jul 12th 2006 at 1:30 am. Reason: Copyright Infringement. Pls Read Rules for Posting.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

MHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really nice

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I have been here (Manhattan then Florida) permanently since the "Fall" of 1999, although I lived here during my Merchant Navy leave for about 3 years before that.

Due to UK family I have to try to get there at least once a year but feel zero desire to stay. In fact I would be quite happy not to go back at all if it wasn't for family.

Of course, I miss the beer, the countryside etc. but that isn't enough to warrant going back.

In the US I have a far better quality of life, better weather, no whinging and I don't have to tolerate crap service.

AMEN
Old Jul 14th 2006, 3:19 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MHolkham
AMEN
I have good days and bad days here in the US. The difficulty for me is that I've never been material person. The things I treasure most in life are family, and time spent with good friends. So it's often tough to justify leaving all that behind for a bigger house, faster car, and more money in the bank. Sure, I love the food here, the weather, the outdoors lifestyle and my luxuries...but some days I'd trade it all to be back in the local 'hole in the wall' with my mates, enjoying that comforting smell of stale beer and urine in a true British pub.

Of course, when I have those bad days and I tell the friends back home that I miss them and am having second thoughts, I get the old "You're *****ing mad...I wouldn't give up life in America to come back to this sh*tty country". Then I remember how lucky I am and rejuvenate my love for the US.

I often tell people that if I could group up my friends and relatives into a big box and ship them over here, life would be perfect.

So basically, I run hot and cold. Some days I long for the comforts of home and a pan of my old mam's Irish stew while watching the match, other days I find myself sitting out by the pool, enjoying the sun and BBQing a steak..and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

nottslad has much to be proud ofnottslad has much to be proud ofnottslad has much to be proud ofnottslad has much to be proud ofnottslad has much to be proud ofnottslad has much to be proud ofnottslad has much to be proud ofnottslad has much to be proud ofnottslad has much to be proud ofnottslad has much to be proud ofnottslad has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Originally Posted by Tolos
I have good days and bad days here in the US. The difficulty for me is that I've never been material person. The things I treasure most in life are family, and time spent with good friends. So it's often tough to justify leaving all that behind for a bigger house, faster car, and more money in the bank. Sure, I love the food here, the weather, the outdoors lifestyle and my luxuries...but some days I'd trade it all to be back in the local 'hole in the wall' with my mates, enjoying that comforting smell of stale beer and urine in a true British pub.

Of course, when I have those bad days and I tell the friends back home that I miss them and am having second thoughts, I get the old "You're *****ing mad...I wouldn't give up life in America to come back to this sh*tty country". Then I remember how lucky I am and rejuvenate my love for the US.

I often tell people that if I could group up my friends and relatives into a big box and ship them over here, life would be perfect.

So basically, I run hot and cold. Some days I long for the comforts of home and a pan of my old mam's Irish stew while watching the match, other days I find myself sitting out by the pool, enjoying the sun and BBQing a steak..and wouldn't trade it for the world.
There is some stuff I have missed like friends, a decent pub and some food. Mostly its family I have missed. Other than that in my opinon the UK has been going down the toilet for years. No signs of getting any better, well certainly not where I am from anyway.

No place is perfect don't get me wrong. You won't catch me in any great rush to run back to the UK.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:06 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottslad
No place is perfect don't get me wrong. You won't catch me in any great rush to run back to the UK.
How long have you been here? I often wonder, reading these posts, if the length of time spent in the US, has a relationship to people wanting to return home?

I remember reading somewhere????? that 20 years is the magic figure!

Rob
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
How long have you been here? I often wonder, reading these posts, if the length of time spent in the US, has a relationship to people wanting to return home?

I remember reading somewhere????? that 20 years is the magic figure!

Rob

It'll be 20 for me next April. Not much magic about the time from this perspective. England often seems very distant - yet occasionally very, very close.

Here's a thing I haven't dug up in this forum yet. About '90 to '92 there was a bloke at my job from UK also. We agreed that when we first came to US there were two stages. First, you became quite American (loses slang, talks with a twang to avoid confusion, etc) Second, you became very English - I mean fickin' ridiculous English, (watching crap from UK on TV you'd never otherwise watch) speaking more precisely, Union Jacks on the car, etc.

Anyone attest to this?
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:24 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
It'll be 20 for me next April. Not much magic about the time from this perspective. England often seems very distant - yet occasionally very, very close.

Here's a thing I haven't dug up in this forum yet. About '90 to '92 there was a bloke at my job from UK also. We agreed that when we first came to US there were two stages. First, you became quite American (loses slang, talks with a twang to avoid confusion, etc) Second, you became very English - I mean fickin' ridiculous English, (watching crap from UK on TV you'd never otherwise watch) speaking more precisely, Union Jacks on the car, etc.

Anyone attest to this?
Ive been here 20 as well, and I must confess I got my first Union Jack last year (Tube Bombings) and have a GB sticker on the car. Dont watch mush TV though, BUT I do have a model British railway in the basement..
Gets coat, leaves room..................
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone attest to this?
Kind of. I am definitely in phase 2 but my phase one was more like 'gosh I can't believe we're actually here - this is going to be great!'. Except of course it wasn't...
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Ive been here 20 as well, and I must confess I got my first Union Jack last year (Tube Bombings) and have a GB sticker on the car. Dont watch mush TV though, BUT I do have a model British railway in the basement..
Gets coat, leaves room..................

As long as you dont have pigeons in the back yard, yer OK mate.

Coooo, coooo.
..are ya goon to win a nice roosette for daddy then...????
coooo, cooo.

God, this country does wierd things to me......
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:37 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you dont have pigeons in the back yard, yer OK mate.

Coooo, coooo.
..are ya goon to win a nice roosette for daddy then...????
coooo, cooo.

God, this country does wierd things to me......

Lol
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:53 pm
Banned

asdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant future

hello. i came to the USA from england when i was 15. i turn 30 today. i went back to england with the intention of living there in november 2005, but it was a giant culture shock and i absolutely hated it. the lifestyle of living in an upper class neighborhood in orlando, florida had totally spoiled me. i missed america a lot. i stayed in england for a while, then i went to visit my sister in houston but absolutely hated it. then i came back to orlando, and it doesnt seem as nice as when i lived here, but mainly because i am staying in a very poor area. i visited north carolina (raleigh) recently and it was very nice there, but im not sure how it would be for a single guy like me. im a bit confused about what to do right now. im not sure if i want to stay liiving in america, i like the weather and the cost of living here and america has a lot of cute girls. i dont want to go back to england because its far too expensive and i found most people there very rude, and the culture revolved around drinking. so maybe i will stay in the US or maybe try canada or austrialia. anyway, im very confused really. but living in america so long, makes england seem like a dump when you go back.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:56 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asdasd12345
hello. i came to the USA from england when i was 15. i turn 30 today. i went back to england with the intention of living there in november 2005, but it was a giant culture shock and i absolutely hated it. the lifestyle of living in an upper class neighborhood in orlando, florida had totally spoiled me. i missed america a lot. i stayed in england for a while, then i went to visit my sister in houston but absolutely hated it. then i came back to orlando, and it doesnt seem as nice as when i lived here, but mainly because i am staying in a very poor area. i visited north carolina (raleigh) recently and it was very nice there, but im not sure how it would be for a single guy like me. im a bit confused about what to do right now. im not sure if i want to stay liiving in america, i like the weather and the cost of living here and america has a lot of cute girls. i dont want to go back to england because its far too expensive and i found most people there very rude, and the culture revolved around drinking. so maybe i will stay in the US or maybe try canada or austrialia. anyway, im very confused really. but living in america so long, makes england seem like a dump when you go back.

A brave first post...Welcome to the Forum
Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by asdasd12345
hello. i came to the USA from england when i was 15. i turn 30 today. i went back to england with the intention of living there in .............drinking. so maybe i will stay in the US or maybe try canada or austrialia. anyway, im very confused really. but living in america so long, makes england seem like a dump when you go back.
Welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.