Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is there any benefit to registering your American kids as British

Is there any benefit to registering your American kids as British

Old Jan 19th 2016, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is there any benefit to registering your American kids as British

Living in the DC area I hesitate to register my American daughter with the British embassy because I do not want to unwittingly limit her future job prospects. Certain federal jobs are denied to applicants who have exercised citizen rights in another country such as voting, acquiring a passport, etc. I'm unsure if that includes actions taken without her consent such as by a parent but I'd rather she make an informed decision for herself when she is an adult.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Thanks, I am aware of all that. It doesn't change the fact that a copy can be ordered from the GRO for £9.25 the September of the year following registration. It is still a consular birth certificate because it is issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for a birth that happened overseas. It is exactly the same document that was previously issued locally by British embassies and consulates. That the staff who performed this registration are now longer based overseas is irrelevant to whether it can be called a consular birth certificate or not.
Right - I knew you were aware. My reply was more for the OP's benefit not yours. You had stated that the GRO cert could be obtained at any time and I just wanted to clarify that it takes quite some time for their records to be updated with the foreign birth registration. After that initial processing period, the GRO cert can be ordered at any time.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
Living in the DC area I hesitate to register my American daughter with the British embassy because I do not want to unwittingly limit her future job prospects. Certain federal jobs are denied to applicants who have exercised citizen rights in another country such as voting, acquiring a passport, etc. I'm unsure if that includes actions taken without her consent such as by a parent but I'd rather she make an informed decision for herself when she is an adult.
Foreign birth registrations are no longer handled by embassies or consulates. You would start here:

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

Also, if your daughter is a British citizen, she remains a British citizen whether or not you register her birth and whether or not she obtains a British passport.

It is true that possession of a valid non-US passport can cause issues in terms of obtaining security clearance - but so can just having the British citizenship (with or without registration or a passport).

Personally I think the benefits of having the foreign citizenship trumps any benefits of not having it. I certainly would not renounce my other citizenships just to obtain a US security clearance. But that's just my opinion (plus I'm not in a job that requires one) and your daughter may well think otherwise.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 3:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
.... Also, if your daughter is a British citizen, she remains a British citizen whether or not you register her birth and whether or not she obtains a British passport. .....
And the security clearance process is almost certain to identify that fact.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 4:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And the security clearance process is almost certain to identify that fact.
If it is such a problem that it will result in a failed security clearance then she will almost certainly have to renounce the foreign citizenship in question - that a parent registered her birth with said foreign government in question 20+ years previously would be irrelevant.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

If it is such a problem that it will result in a failed security clearance then she will almost certainly have to renounce the foreign citizenship in question - that a parent registered her birth with said foreign government in question 20+ years previously would be irrelevant.
I agree that the actions of the parent in registering the birth (or even obtaining a British passport on behalf of the child) would likely be irrelevant. The fact that the daughter has a non-US citizenship is the more important factor. The daughter applying for and obtaining a British passport by herself would be likely be viewed differently.

However, how many people actually need security clearance to do their jobs? And, of those that do need it, having another citizenship isn't necessarily a barrier to obtaining it. It is dealt with on a case by case basis. And it's also possible (maybe even likely) that having British citizenship opens up more opportunities than having a security clearance.

Here's an interesting document on the subject:

https://careers.state.gov/uploads/8f...itizenship.pdf
Old Jan 19th 2016, 4:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... And it's also possible (maybe even likely) that having British citizenship opens up more opportunities than having a security clearance. ....
Agreed, not least to travel and work visa-free in thirty-two countries from Iceland to Greece and from Finland to the Canary Islands.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

However, how many people actually need security clearance to do their jobs? And, of those that do need it, having another citizenship isn't necessarily a barrier to obtaining it. It is dealt with on a case by case basis. And it's also possible (maybe even likely) that having British citizenship opens up more opportunities than having a security clearance.
As evidenced by Senator Ted Cruz who had no issues with his dual citizenship to become a Senator and privy, I'm sure, to plenty of confidential information as a US Senator. He only recently renounced his Canadian citizenship in his run for President. I don't believe a US President is barred from being a dual citizen as long as he is a "natural born US citizen". I don't know the local country laws but Obama may hold dual nationality due to his father being Kenyan, and Senator McCain Panamanian citizenship having been born in that country.

FWIW, our 2 children were aged 4 and 6 when we came over and became US citizens with US passports when they were teenagers. Now in their early 30's they both deemed it worthwhile to obtain UK Passports, mainly for the freedom to live, work and move around the EU should they wish to.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 12:44 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
As evidenced by Senator Ted Cruz who had no issues with his dual citizenship to become a Senator and privy, I'm sure, to plenty of confidential information as a US Senator. He only recently renounced his Canadian citizenship in his run for President. I don't believe a US President is barred from being a dual citizen as long as he is a "natural born US citizen". I don't know the local country laws but Obama may hold dual nationality due to his father being Kenyan, and Senator McCain Panamanian citizenship having been born in that country.

FWIW, our 2 children were aged 4 and 6 when we came over and became US citizens with US passports when they were teenagers. Now in their early 30's they both deemed it worthwhile to obtain UK Passports, mainly for the freedom to live, work and move around the EU should they wish to.
Well let's hope that the Supreme Court rule that he's not eligible to become President. There's enough home grown jackasses in the GOP running for Pres already without an import being included
Old Oct 19th 2016, 9:55 am
Just Joined

iwshim is an unknown quantity at this point

I am British by decent - If i register my son as British they will not automaticaly get citizenship; however, will they qualify for special visa status such a "Right of Abode" ?

thanks!
Old Oct 19th 2016, 11:14 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Registering them now provides a permanent record of their British citizenship a copy of which can be ordered by anyone at any time for £9.25 from the GRO. Proving British citizenship in order to obtain a British passport gets more difficult the older a person gets particularly once they become an adult. Others have given you some good examples so early registration is very helpful if you want to get them British passports in the next twenty years or so. They can also take advantage of this in later life, for study, work, extended holidays, retirement or they may ignore it altogether. Or it may prove very useful to your grandchildren in 50 or 60 years time. In any case if you do it now then it's done. If you leave it then it may never get done or the rules will change or the option to register will be taken away altogether.
There is a problem with that as the qualifying person is British by descent only, so can't pass Citizenship on at all, they are talking about registering them even though they do NOT qualify for citizenship.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 2:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Registering them now provides a permanent record of their British citizenship a copy of which can be ordered by anyone at any time for £9.25 from the GRO. Proving British citizenship in order to obtain a British passport gets more difficult the older a person gets particularly once they become an adult. Others have given you some good examples so early registration is very helpful if you want to get them British passports in the next twenty years or so. They can also take advantage of this in later life, for study, work, extended holidays, retirement or they may ignore it altogether. Or it may prove very useful to your grandchildren in 50 or 60 years time. In any case if you do it now then it's done. If you leave it then it may never get done or the rules will change or the option to register will be taken away altogether.
Britinparis can I ask if there's any point registering my daughter's french birth with the GRO? She currently has french birth certificate and holds a British passport. I've always been put off registering her birth since it requires the originals of a lot of very important documents being sent away. However, with Brexit I have been more of a mind to do it... thoughts?
cheers.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 2:39 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iwshim
I am British by decent - If i register my son as British they will not automaticaly get citizenship; however, will they qualify for special visa status such a "Right of Abode" ?

thanks!
How would you register him as British if he's not entitled to British citizenship?

If your son wasn't born in the UK, I don't believe he is entitled to citizenship since you are British by descent. It doesn't look as though he'll have any right of abode.

You have right of abode if all the following apply:

one of your parents was born in the UK and a citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies when you were born or adopted
you were a Commonwealth citizen on 31 December 1982
you didn’t stop being a Commonwealth citizen (even temporarily) at any point after 31 December 1982
Old Oct 19th 2016, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong
.... If your son wasn't born in the UK, I don't believe he is entitled to citizenship since you are British by descent. It doesn't look as though he'll have any right of abode.
Wouldn't the son have right of abode if the son was born in certain (not all) Commonwealth countries?
Old Oct 19th 2016, 2:57 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to register, you might as well apply for a British passport. I did it for my 6-year-old earlier this year and it was easy and really fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.