Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is there any benefit to registering your American kids as British

Is there any benefit to registering your American kids as British

Old Jan 16th 2016, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Pete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there any benefit to registering your American kids as British

My kids are American and was wondering if I should register them as British too. I was going to leave it up to them when they were adults. Is there any benefit to registering them?

I'm British Mom is American.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 3:20 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any benefit to registering your American kids as British

If you leave it until they're older, I guess the rules could change in the intervening period?
Old Jan 16th 2016, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't up to them. If you were able to pass on your British citizenship then they are by default dual citizens already.

What registration does is provide a permanent record of that fact. After you are gone or if your house is destroyed by flood or fire, the extra evidence needed for them to acquire a British passport may not be available. This way they just contact the gro and order a copy of their British birth certificate.

Last edited by sir_eccles; Jan 16th 2016 at 4:16 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete H
My kids are American and was wondering if I should register them as British too. I was going to leave it up to them when they were adults. Is there any benefit to registering them?

Where were YOU born? If you are British by descent then your children do not get British citizenship and passports automatically.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 4:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete H

Register them as British and as adults they can take advantage of being British (whatever that may mean twenty or thirty years from now ), or entirely ignore it, as they choose. But if you do nothing it can become much harder to prove that they are British as they get older, records get lost, you may die prematurely, and then getting sufficient records together to apply for a passport could be a real challenge. Register them now, and they're set up for life.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 10:32 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Do kids born of British/American parents feel any identity with Britain? My daughter doesn't. She's been to the UK about three or four times with us and she likes it well enough but she told me she had no desire to move or settle there. That's understandable. My mother came from Ireland, married an Englishman. I've never been to Ireland and have no feeling of kinship or attachment to the Emerald Isle whatsoever

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 16th 2016 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 11:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Do kids born of British/American parents feel any identity with Britain? My daughter doesn't. She's been to the UK about three or four times with us and she likes it well enough but she told me she had no desire to move or settle there. That's understandable. My mother came from Ireland, married an Englishman. I've never been to Ireland and have no feeling of kinship or attachment to the Emerald Isle whatsoever
Still useful to have the option though. I know a few Aussies, born and bred in Australia, but they have British citizenship through their parents and although none of them feel British they reckon its good to have the option that ione day they can go to the UK and stay/work/live whatever. And if they marry a Brit that passport will be invaluable with the horrendous Spouse Visa rules these days.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 8:01 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite frequently there are questions on here and UK Yankees from British citizens (with a British parent) who wish to migrate to the UK having never lived there. Maybe they have grandparents or aunts and uncles in the UK to make the transition easier.

My kids moved to the U.S. aged 8 and 6. The younger moved to England after college, been there (or here I should say) ever since. The older is much more "American" in weltanschauung and lifestyle, but she keeps her British passport up to date, all her friends know she's British ... and she constantly checks job postings in her field in the UK!
Old Jan 17th 2016, 10:55 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Registering them now provides a permanent record of their British citizenship a copy of which can be ordered by anyone at any time for £9.25 from the GRO. Proving British citizenship in order to obtain a British passport gets more difficult the older a person gets particularly once they become an adult. Others have given you some good examples so early registration is very helpful if you want to get them British passports in the next twenty years or so. They can also take advantage of this in later life, for study, work, extended holidays, retirement or they may ignore it altogether. Or it may prove very useful to your grandchildren in 50 or 60 years time. In any case if you do it now then it's done. If you leave it then it may never get done or the rules will change or the option to register will be taken away altogether.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Pete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'm going to register them.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Registering them now provides a permanent record of their British citizenship a copy of which can be ordered by anyone at any time for £9.25 from the GRO.
It takes some time for the record of British citizenship to be recorded at the GRO - usually sometime during the calendar year following the calendar year of registration. So for 2016 registrations, the GRO certificate can usually be ordered sometime during 2017.

Meanwhile, a much more expensive (£65) birth registration certificate can be ordered at the time of registration. Looks like this is still called a "consular birth registration certificate" even though foreign births are no longer registered with British consulates/embassies - they are now handled in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

Service (Fee)
Register a birth (£105)
Copy of a birth registration certificate (£65)

You must also pay for your documents to be returned to you.

Postage destination (Fee)
UK address or British Forces Post Office (£5.50)
Europe (excluding Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine) (£14.50)
Rest of world (£25)

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 18th 2016 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You can still take advantage of a citizenship without feeling any connection to the place. That citizenship can open doors and maybe even help you develop a connection later.

For example, my oldest daughter was born in Canada. We moved to the UK when she was 2 and then to the US when she was 4. She was raised in the US until almost 18 and considers herself to be American. She decided to take advantage of her Canadian citizenship to pay domestic tuition rates at a Canadian university (Canadian citizens qualify for domestic tuition regardless of where they came from). This is her 5th year in Ontario (she also took a year out to work there) and she seems to have developed a connection to the place. She is planning to stay longer to continue her education after she graduates this spring.

She also has British and Irish citizenship. Although she feels no strong connection to the UK or Ireland, holding those citizenships could open doors for her later in life.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 6:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It takes some time for the record of British citizenship to be recorded at the GRO - usually sometime during the calendar year following the calendar year of registration. So for 2016 registrations, the GRO certificate can usually be ordered sometime during 2017.

Meanwhile, a much more expensive (£65) birth registration certificate can be ordered at the time of registration. Looks like this is still called a "consular birth registration certificate" even though foreign births are no longer registered with British consulates/embassies - they are now handled in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

Service (Fee)
Register a birth (£105)
Copy of a birth registration certificate (£65)

You must also pay for your documents to be returned to you.

Postage destination (Fee)
UK address or British Forces Post Office (£5.50)
Europe (excluding Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine) (£14.50)
Rest of world (£25)
Thanks, I am aware of all that. It doesn't change the fact that a copy can be ordered from the GRO for £9.25 the September of the year following registration. It is still a consular birth certificate because it is issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for a birth that happened overseas. It is exactly the same document that was previously issued locally by British embassies and consulates. That the staff who performed this registration are now longer based overseas is irrelevant to whether it can be called a consular birth certificate or not.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

In an emergency evacation as happened in Lebanon , the British were evacuated before the Americans. Certainly is useful to have 2 options sometimes.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 11:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
In an emergency evacation as happened in Lebanon , the British were evacuated before the Americans. Certainly is useful to have 2 options sometimes.
Indeed. Its things like that whch can't be forseen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.