British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Thanksgiving at Work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/thanksgiving-work-339312/)

CitySimon Nov 24th 2005 1:06 pm

Thanksgiving at Work

Happy Thanksgiving guys!!

I work in a worldwide support center for a software company in Rochester NY.

At this time (being Thanksgiving) we have a skeleton staff in... Perhaps seven people covering, pretty much, any of our customers who are awake... The tail end of the European day through to the end of the day on the American west coast.

Tonight, being Thanksgiving evening, we also have a skeleton staff in the office, but this time, it's just ME!! Covering the Midnight to 9am stint again supporting any of our customers who are awake... That being the end of the Asia Pacific region and the first half of the European day.

Now... It may just be me, but doesn't that come across as a little weird?!

The shift where we know that we only have to worry about our customers in Canada (we have very few customers in South/Central America), we have seven people covering, but the shift when we know that every customer in the whole of Europe, Africa and Asia will be having a normal day we have one person covering.

Like I said, perhaps it's just me, but that seems a little bit unbalanced!

I think that someone has to remind Americans that Thanksgiving is not a worldwide holiday. It seems that nearly everyone I speak to about it puts on an expression of stunned disbelief when I tell them that we don't celebrate TG in England... Eventually, they come out with something like "Actually, thinking about it, that makes sense really!". Yes, it makes sense, after all, it's an American Holiday!

It's like me being shocked that people over here don't celebrate Bonfire Night, or people in England celebrating the 4th of July (I have been asked several times).

I'd be interested to hear from any of the other guys who are working today. I expect that they are seeing similar skeleton staff situations as myself.

If you are not working today... have a beer for me! :beer:

Patrick Nov 24th 2005 1:11 pm

Re: Thanksgiving at Work

Originally Posted by CitySimon

At this time (being Thanksgiving) we have a skeleton staff in... Perhaps seven people covering, pretty much, any of our customers who are awake... The tail end of the European day through to the end of the day on the American west coast.

Tonight, being Thanksgiving evening, we also have a skeleton staff in the office, but this time, it's just ME!! Covering the Midnight to 9am stint again supporting any of our customers who are awake... That being the end of the Asia Pacific region and the first half of the European day.

The shift where we know that we only have to worry about our customers in Canada (we have very few customers in South/Central America), we have seven people covering, but the shift when we know that every customer in the whole of Europe, Africa and Asia will be having a normal day we have one person covering.

I think that someone has to remind Americans that Thanksgiving is not a worldwide holiday. It seems that nearly everyone I speak to about it puts on an expression of stunned disbelief when I tell them that we don't celebrate TG in England... Eventually, they come out with something like "Actually, thinking about it, that makes sense really!". Yes, it makes sense, after all, it's an American Holiday!

It's like me being shocked that people over here don't celebrate Bonfire Night, or people in England celebrating the 4th of July (I have been asked several times).

I'd be interested to hear from any of the other guys who are working today. I expect that they are seeing similar skeleton staff situations as myself.

According to the thread Ray started, you should be thankful that you are sat alone at work on thanksgiving because it means you have a job and your boss hates you

CitySimon Nov 24th 2005 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick
According to the thread Ray started, you should be thankful that you are sat alone at work on thanksgiving because it means you have a job and your boss hates you

Really?

The really dumb thing is that I did actually volunteer for both the day and night shifts (I know, no sympathy then).

The boss may well hate me! I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Englishmum Nov 24th 2005 1:36 pm

Really?

The really dumb thing is that I did actually volunteer for both the day and night shifts (I know, no sympathy then).

The boss may well hate me! I'll have to get back to you on that one.

I hope they're paying you double time or extra time off in lieu? :confused:

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 24th 2005 1:43 pm

Im working later on.

CitySimon Nov 24th 2005 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I hope they're paying you double time or extra time off in lieu? :confused:

We have something like that. I'm not sure whether I'm getting double time but I definitely have the option to use my holiday hours later in the year.

dunroving Nov 24th 2005 4:15 pm

Yes, I'm in the office too. Best time for me to get any research done is when the students aren't around.

Having said that, I just finished a 2-hour meeting with one of the grad students. He left working on a project until too late and asked me earlier in the week if I had any time I could meet with him. So I said "Thursday, first thing in the morning is the only opening I have for the next 10 days". His look of stunned disbelief was priceless. But he came, give him credit.

CaliforniaBride Nov 24th 2005 4:30 pm

It seems that nearly everyone I speak to about it puts on an expression of stunned disbelief when I tell them that we don't celebrate TG in England... Eventually, they come out with something like "Actually, thinking about it, that makes sense really!". Yes, it makes sense, after all, it's an American Holiday!

Happens here too. I just tell them that we do but we have it on 4th July.

You can watch that comment fly straight over their head :D

Chorlton Nov 24th 2005 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Happens here too. I just tell them that we do but we have it on 4th July.

You can watch that comment fly straight over their head :D

I might use that next time I get asked :)
Its a little less caustic than my usual replies.

antjen Nov 24th 2005 6:09 pm

Im not working today luckily, but shall have a beer for you and everyone else who is unfortunate to be working!!

:beer:

Ant

frrussre Nov 24th 2005 6:31 pm

The wife is On Call (Though at home) at the Hospital she works for. Here in NYC, lots of Business's/Stores/Shops/Movies/Bars/Restaurants are open. We are certainly no Blue State.
Reg. Frank R.

CitySimon Nov 25th 2005 4:13 am

Well guys, I've just kicked off my second shift of Thanksgiving. Midnight to 9am. Woo!!! Hoo!!!

My Thanksgiving turkey dinner was pretty bad really. Got home at 5pm and crammed down left overs from the neighbours.

I really need a beer!!! :beer:

Quite honestly, I seriously considered bringing in a four pack of Boddingtons to work. I figured it might be a bad idea to mix the alcohol with the serious amount of coffee I'm going to need to get through the next 9 hours, throw in the fact that I'm expected to be working as well and it's really a bad combination.

Figure that! Not only do they expect me to be here but they are expecting me to work at the same time!!! Some people just ask far too much of there employees!!! :confused:

CitySimon Nov 25th 2005 6:02 am

Thankfully very little going on so far... I know I'm really tempting fate by saying that... I expect to see a major system down coming in within the next 5 minutes. HURRAY!!! :D

You know it's bad when you're replying to your own posts.

I think I'll take a nap. Europe can make do without me for a little while... :zzz: :zzz:

snowbunny Nov 25th 2005 7:03 am

Thankfully very little going on so far... I know I'm really tempting fate by saying that... I expect to see a major system down coming in within the next 5 minutes. HURRAY!!! :D

You know it's bad when you're replying to your own posts.

I think I'll take a nap. Europe can make do without me for a little while... :zzz: :zzz:

They're only now waking up..... :D

CitySimon Nov 25th 2005 7:17 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
They're only now waking up..... :D

Good point... Damn, I thought I was getting away with a pretty quiet day as well. :(

:)