British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Thanksgiving. Whats on tap? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/thanksgiving-whats-tap-333637/)

Lord Lionheart Oct 26th 2005 3:53 pm

Re: Thanksgiving. Whats on tap?

I love that green bean casserole Americans have at Thanksgiving, Elina makes it now at holidays - green beans, cambells mushroom soup and French's fried onions, sounds gross but it is delicious!!

Ray Oct 26th 2005 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Good to see you're in your usual cheery mood Ray!

Getting ready for the feative season of christmas ... another whole day ...
I remember when christmas was a week ..

Celtic_Angel Oct 26th 2005 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Getting ready for the feative season of christmas ... another whole day ...
I remember when christmas was a week ..

it still is at this house....you've got keep up tradition :D :beer:

mandpete Oct 26th 2005 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart
I love that green bean casserole Americans have at Thanksgiving, Elina makes it now at holidays - green beans, cambells mushroom soup and French's fried onions, sounds gross but it is delicious!!

It makes me feel sick just thinking about it. Green beans always remind me of school dinners. Bleuch!!!

Sarah Oct 26th 2005 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Best thing about Thanksgiving is time off, worst thing about Thanksgiving having to eat the awful dinner where everyone brings a dish of something that doesn't go with the next dish even though everyone discussed what they were bringing to make sure they would coordinate. :eek:

So true!! Last year we had traditional thanksgiving dinner (turkey, green bean casserole, mash, pumpkin pie) and the guests brought roast pork, roast duck and shrimp :confused:

Pigtails Oct 26th 2005 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
So true!! Last year we had traditional thanksgiving dinner (turkey, green bean casserole, mash, pumpkin pie) and the guests brought roast pork, roast duck and shrimp :confused:

Not that is ****ed up!

Lord Lionheart Oct 26th 2005 4:25 pm

Were they newly arrived Chinese immigrants?

Sarah Oct 26th 2005 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart
Were they newly arrived Chinese immigrants?

Actually he's Indonesian!
he's been here longer than I've been alive, he has about 100 words of English and he named himself after the diner he works in.

Ray Oct 26th 2005 4:30 pm

he's been here longer than I've been alive, he has about 100 words of English and he named himself after the diner he works in.

Say hello to Big Bubba diner for me ..

Lord Lionheart Oct 26th 2005 4:30 pm

I knew I was on the right track judging by what he brought, at least it wasn't a whole suckling pig :D

ladylisa Oct 26th 2005 5:11 pm

Yes exactly. Last year we had virtually the same thing. The problem is that everyone has a dish that they are really good at so they want to bring that, never mind if it all goes together. To start we had crackers with apricot spread. Followed by salad of which the bowls were taken out of the freezer so they were nice and cold! For main the hostess cooked the turkey and then brought by various rellies we had, garlic mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rice mixed with weird stuff, and all manor of other stuff which simply did not go...taste sensation would be putting it mildly. Mind you the funniest thing was after we had home made pumpkin pie, made by the the matriarch of the family. Everyone looked on in glee as I took a bite of the famous dessert...my god it was so yuk sweet and sour, I tried to keep a smiley face but it was tough. I said to my hubby do you want some of this in my most pleading voice and he smugly said no thanks!... :(

Sarah Oct 26th 2005 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Yes exactly. Last year we had virtually the same thing. The problem is that everyone has a dish that they are really good at so they want to bring that, never mind if it all goes together. To start we had crackers with apricot spread. Followed by salad of which the bowls were taken out of the freezer so they were nice and cold! For main the hostess cooked the turkey and then brought by various rellies we had, garlic mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rice mixed with weird stuff, and all manor of other stuff which simply did not go...taste sensation would be putting it mildly. Mind you the funniest thing was after we had home made pumpkin pie, made by the the matriarch of the family. Everyone looked on in glee as I took a bite of the famous dessert...my god it was so yuk sweet and sour, I tried to keep a smiley face but it was tough. I said to my hubby do you want some of this in my most pleading voice and he smugly said no thanks!... :(

LOL!! My MIL's version of home made pumpkin pie is a Pillsbury pie shell filled with pie filling out of a can with a load of cool whip dumped on top, served on paper plates. At least I can laugh at it now though, when I first arrived all I could do was cry!

Yosser Oct 26th 2005 5:53 pm

I quite like Thanksgiving. Just the American version of a Harvest Festival I guess.
My husband has had the deep fried turkey and swears to me its absolutely delicious, probably is, I mean fried chicken is pretty yummy.
The only gross thing is sweet potatoes with marshmallows..urgh..like they aren't sweet enough so you need to add marshmallows :confused:
Green bean cassorole is pretty nice though :)

Your husband is correct fried turkey is excellent.

I'm was not a turkey fan at all, found it too dry. last year my wife's uncle rubbed some homemade concoction of herbs and spices into/onto the skin then fried it in a deep fat fryer (on my back patio, made a right bloody mess, but anyways!)....it was the best meat I have ever tasted, mouth watering good.

Can't wait for the same this year.

Neathborn Oct 26th 2005 6:16 pm

Hubby usually does most of the Thanksgiving cooking. I'm ashamed to say I've never cooked a roast anything in my life. I'm not one for traditional dinners, and will happily eat whatever's on offer (as long as it's edible!!) and enjoy the break from cooking for the day.

Rushman Oct 26th 2005 6:35 pm

LOL!! My MIL's version of home made pumpkin pie is a Pillsbury pie shell filled with pie filling out of a can with a load of cool whip dumped on top, served on paper plates. At least I can laugh at it now though, when I first arrived all I could do was cry!

Did she make it for you to eat...or throw at someone?