Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanksgiving

This holiday is either a hit or miss for many Brits here in the US. Many don't understand it but heck, who doesn't like the day off from work (if you are so lucky) and sometimes the following day as well. Makes for a lovely 4 day weekend.

I'm an American who is married to a Canadian. So he is well versed in what Thanksgiving is all about from both his country and "ours". Loved when we lived closer to the Canadian border and could celebrate both Thanksgivings in our respective countries. This year we are spending it at my eldest daughter's home with her family and in-laws.

I'm doing up the Turkey, stuffing (not dressing), mashed potatoes, turnips, pigs in a blanket and other before dinner munchies as well as making two lovely apple cinnamon slab pies.

Unfortunately, my blood sugar took a big hit with the leftover Halloween candy and I've come down with a lousy head cold which I passed on to hubby. I can't take any cold remedies because of glaucoma so I am consuming lots of homemade chicken soup and sniffing black pepper which makes me sneeze and clears the passages

Hoping you all enjoy our American Holiday and are thankful for your good health, family and friends, and enjoy a nice dinner of whatever pleases your palate.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving

This will be my first thanksgiving in the USA and so i'll be joining my new American family. There are expectations of a large turnout, so hopefully it won't be too overwhelming. Given we've recently married and I've not met half of the people before I hope it doesn't turn into a circus.

Nonetheless, we are preparing Mac and cheese for the feast.

We are then heading to see Fantastic Beasts later in the evening. We've made sure to go to a standalone cinema rather than one integrated into a mall to avoid crazy shoppers.

Have a wonderful holiday, Rete.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Thanksgiving Grandma Rete...hope you feel much better tomorrow.

I've always found it hard to get into TG...probably because it's so near Christmas and to me turkey is for Christmas and should always be served with roasties...not mash. When we lived in NJ we usually went to friends for TG dinner. My daughter likes to celebrate American and Canadian TG...the latter being a month earlier. Tomorrow we will be eating dinner at our favourite restaurant...it will not include pumpkin soup, turkey or pumpkin pie.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We are spending Thanksgiving on our own this year. Grandkids, stepson and his wife are going to the beach with her parents as usual. Thanksgiving and spending it with family means a lot to Mrs L and to say she is upset is an understatement. She is cooking a turkey breast which from the size of it I'll still be eating next week, but we will enjoy the day. We have mash potatoes at Thanksgiving and roasties at Christmas as mash and turkey just isn't right.

Saturday is the end of season Oregon Civil War football game. This year at Oregon State where I have a season ticket so brother-in-law and I will head down that morning for the game.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My family is in four different places this thanksgiving. I'm in England so ignoring it, my wife in snowbound rural New York - she's going to one friend's gathering this afternoon, and another friend's tomorrow night. Our son, newly arrived in Southern California, don't know what he's doing, he doesn't know anyone there. Our daughter is in Massachusetts, I don't know what she's doing either! In fact, till I saw this thread, I'd forgotten it's thanksgiving tomorrow!
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I like it. Lots of food, day off work - couldn't really be much better. I have to work on Friday but there'll be about 4 of us in so it won't be a big deal and I can come in late if I want.

This period from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day is one of my favourites, I always look forward to it. My first ever visit to the US was timed with Thanksgiving as well (albeit accidentally), so I've been into it for a while.

Have a great Thanksgiving, wherever you end up and eat as much as you can fit in to yourself before you explode.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
We are spending Thanksgiving on our own this year. Grandkids, stepson and his wife are going to the beach with her parents as usual. Thanksgiving and spending it with family means a lot to Mrs L and to say she is upset is an understatement. She is cooking a turkey breast which from the size of it I'll still be eating next week, but we will enjoy the day. We have mash potatoes at Thanksgiving and roasties at Christmas as mash and turkey just isn't right.

Saturday is the end of season Oregon Civil War football game. This year at Oregon State where I have a season ticket so brother-in-law and I will head down that morning for the game.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
Shame the family couldn't spend alternate TGs with you and your wife.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Shame the family couldn't spend alternate TGs with you and your wife.
Unfortunate but it is what it is. Been like it since we got back they just carry on spending Christmas and Thanksgiving with her parents.

I tell Mrs L not to worry about it, it is the price she has to pay for marrying me and running off to England and leaving them to fend for themselves. (they were in their early 20s at the time).
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

For some it means 2 days without pay. I don't see why I should be taking Friday off. But time to reflect on giving thanks. What do you give thanks for? I need to think about my answer as we generally go round the table stating what we give thanks for.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
... as we generally go round the table stating what we give thanks for.
I'm so glad we don't do that, it's so wanky.

I just want to stuff my face and trash talk the Packers, as is tradition.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If I could I would fly home for Thanksgiving, been atleast 10 years since I have been to a US Thanksgiving.

My wife's family is small so they don't much for Thanksgiving, her brother did a dinner once a couple years ago, and her sister had a small lunch this year for about an hour, but I do miss seeing family on holiday's, haven't been home for Christmas in years either, spent 1 Christmas in the last 12 years with my family.

Looking back I missed every Thanksgiving as an adult when still living in the US due to work, Thanksgiving and Christmas people still travel, so having been in the airline world with low seniority, I got to work each and every one of them. Upside is the company gave us an extra 8 hours pay for working holidays, so 8 hour shift = 16 hours of pay.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 23rd 2016 at 6:05 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm so glad we don't do that, it's so wanky.
First time we did that I said I was thankful the English came to America and started Thanksgiving Day and made it such a great place. I think that is probably why I've never been asked again.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:34 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by lansbury
First time we did that I said I was thankful the English came to America and started Thanksgiving Day and made it such a great place. I think that is probably why I've never been asked again.
Nicely done
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I like that my oldest daughter is home from boarding school for a week, and my two other kids get Wed/Thur/Fri off school, and my husband gets Thurs/Fri off.

We're not going anywhere or seeing many people, just eating well and probably moving a lot of furniture around...
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Happy Thanksgiving Grandma Rete...hope you feel much better tomorrow.

I've always found it hard to get into TG...probably because it's so near Christmas and to me turkey is for Christmas and should always be served with roasties...not mash. When we lived in NJ we usually went to friends for TG dinner. My daughter likes to celebrate American and Canadian TG...the latter being a month earlier. Tomorrow we will be eating dinner at our favourite restaurant...it will not include pumpkin soup, turkey or pumpkin pie.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Same as me - not into the food at all but love the tradition of giving thanks and of course a couple of days holiday. We were supposed to be meeting Sue and Paul at Seasons 52 in Orlando for dinner but unfortunately my sweet boxer dog has just had surgery so I'm home alone, well not alone, have 3 dogs for company and a bottle of wine. Happy Thanksgiving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.