Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanks Rete and AOS questions again

Thanks Rete and AOS questions again

Old Aug 29th 2001, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Tony30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks,

First thank you Rete for your quick and accurate answer on my previous posting.
Now I have another question concerning my AOS.

1. My wife is an American citizen. Does she have to change her family name so to be the same like mine? Is it necessary? My family name is a little bit difficult for spelling )
2. In the form I-485 (Part 3 processing information) they say: "In what status did you last enter"
So I wonder what is exactly my status right now if I am on a K-1 visa. K-1 status to write down, or what?
Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 29th 2001, 11:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

you're welcome

1. She doesn't have to take your surname as hers. The choice is entirely up to her and you. She can use your surname perhaps as a middle name if she wanted or just use her maiden name. INS has seen this all before and are alright with it. At the time of the interview, she might want to explain why but there is no law on the books that says that she has to.

However, and this is just from what I have read not too long ago, IRS is getting annoyed with women claiming married and their social security cards don't reflect their new names. I would check into whether this is an issue you might want more information on from the social security administration.

2. Yes, your status is K-1 on the I-485. On the I-765 EAD application we put "pending permanent resident"

Rita