Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your help!

Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thank you for your help!

Hi everyone,

Many of you have helped me gain at least a little insight on the British culture over the past couple of weeks. Thank you so much for your help. A special thanks goes to BritVic and Sally who endured questions from a Yank.

I came to this site as a result of a Google search as I tried to figure out where to begin on a school project, and today have been fortunate enough to have had good discussions and debates with many of you. I hope to have many more in the future.

My presentation was this evening and it went well. Many of my classmates appreciated the perspective many of you added to what would otherwise be a series of slides with little context.

Just wanted to send a little note to say thanks - it means a lot.

Kathy
Attached Files

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Jul 19th 2007 at 3:41 am. Reason: Adding powerpoint
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thank you for your help!

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Hi everyone,

Many of you have helped me gain at least a little insight on the British culture over the past couple of weeks. Thank you so much for your help. A special thanks goes to BritVic and Sally who endured questions from a Yank.

I came to this site as a result of a Google search as I tried to figure out where to begin on a school project, and today have been fortunate enough to have had good discussions and debates with many of you. I hope to have many more in the future.

My presentation was this evening and it went well. Many of my classmates appreciated the perspective many of you added to what would otherwise be a series of slides with little context.

Kathy
Well done on the presentation
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:22 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Kathy

You may attach a .ppt to your post.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Good job Kathy well done
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Oh dear - you want to see our .ppt? I don't know that it's too fascinating. I'm a proponent of using powerpoint for talking points only. Our basic outline ended up being:

*Member countries of UK/British commonwealths
*Descendents of Britains (history)
*Current population
*Negative birthrate/ 1/2 of current population growth from immigration
*History and Impact
*Economy
*Government
*Healthcare and Govt. Benefits
*Bank holidays
*Corporate culture
*"But we all speak English right?" (Comparison of differences in vocabulary)
*Interview notes from Nick (British expat in Cincinnati)
(perceptions, food, a Brit's home is his castle, degrees of formality)
*Interview notes from Michael (British expat in Cincinnati)
(Confident kids, cost of living, role of religion, political correctness, too many guns)
*Interview notes from BritVic/Sally
(Gun control/law enforcement, pub culture, minimalism, food additives, red nose day, education, planning for retirement)
Exercise - showed the class 16 countries, identify 8 which are British commonwealths
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:38 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Is she still here ...
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear - you want to see our .ppt? I don't know that it's too fascinating. I'm a proponent of using powerpoint for talking points only. Our basic outline ended up being:

*Member countries of UK/British commonwealths
*Descendents of Britains (history)
*Current population
*Negative birthrate/ 1/2 of current population growth from immigration
*History and Impact
*Economy
*Government
*Healthcare and Govt. Benefits
*Bank holidays
*Corporate culture
*"But we all speak English right?" (Comparison of differences in vocabulary)
*Interview notes from Nick (British expat in Cincinnati)
(perceptions, food, a Brit's home is his castle, degrees of formality)
*Interview notes from Michael (British expat in Cincinnati)
(Confident kids, cost of living, role of religion, political correctness, too many guns)
*Interview notes from BritVic/Sally
(Gun control/law enforcement, pub culture, minimalism, food additives, red nose day, education, planning for retirement)
Exercise - showed the class 16 countries, identify 8 which are British commonwealths
Sounds lovely - well done again
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Is she still here ...
Yes ...
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I edited my post and added it - though it will look quite simplistic. We didn't want to just read off slides.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by britvic
Good job Kathy well done
Thanks Vic - some of your stories got smiles or looks of surprise out of my audience.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Pumps ...never heard of them ..
years ago called plimsolls ..nowadays trainers ..
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Vic - some of your stories got smiles or looks of surprise out of my audience.
Oh dear, dont know if thats a good thing or bad
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:04 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I edited my post and added it - though it will look quite simplistic. We didn't want to just read off slides.
V. smart.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Pumps ...never heard of them ..
years ago called plimsolls ..nowadays trainers ..
That's what happens when you source the internet! I couldn't really list some of the words I've picked up.

One of the stories I told in class is that I've recently learned that the name of my company is slang for "fool". Always nice when you're doing work internationally (or particularly in the UK - as I am currently).
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:14 am
Ray

That's what happens when you source the internet! I couldn't really list some of the words I've picked up.

One of the stories I told in class is that I've recently learned that the name of my company is slang for "fool". Always nice when you're doing work internationally (or particularly in the UK - as I am currently).
It mat be the north/south divide .....

http://www.classicpumps.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.