Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

THANK YOU - for lingo

THANK YOU - for lingo

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THANK YOU - for lingo

Originally Posted by neil

We have a basic local only call service on our regular landline that only costs about $15 a month including all those taxes and stuff (I just thought of a 5th reason to keep a landline - if you have an alarm service) so it really doesn't cost much as a useful back up.
wow....$15? nice...our basic is $30 with taxes...doesn't include international service or out of state...and there's no choice but go with verizon...we would go lingo, but broadband, on this street at least sucks, and really fluctuates in speed, especially during the day...hmmm....
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

We're signing up too.... who wants the referral? PM me or post here - first come first 'got it'.

ETA - it's taken.

Elaine

Last edited by HunterGreen; Nov 2nd 2005 at 10:53 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was quick... we already received everything and are hooked up!

Now I can't get one thing figured out..... our SBC landline should still work until they transfer the number (supposedly on the 15th). we have a seperate phone hooked up to the landline outlet but whenevr we try to call it, we get the busy signal. Any ideas about this?

Elaine
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:19 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thing1
Actually, I believe it is $10 for a UK number and $5 for an extra domestic number.
Skype's about $35 dollars for the year for a UK number which includes voice mail, but you have got to be signed in on the net to use it and at the moment you can't forward to another number.

Must admit sometimes the connections not to great depends on your isp connection, bit like the old days with the analoge brick mobiles you used to get, but it works.

Last edited by britontour; Nov 4th 2005 at 7:22 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:23 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Ordered mine today - hope it's good.

BTW "bingo lingo clickety click it's time to take your pick of the six" was a catchphrase from Bob Monkhouses' primetime Saturday night show "Bob's Full House." Back in the days before reality TV and shitey one hit wonder pop star whows became acceptable!
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Now I can't get one thing figured out..... our SBC landline should still work until they transfer the number (supposedly on the 15th). we have a seperate phone hooked up to the landline outlet but whenevr we try to call it, we get the busy signal. Any ideas about this?
I tried editing my previous post but it wouldn't let me... I figured out it probably had to do with the 'splitter' we used for the 2 phones. Because after removing it, the landline worked just fine.

Elaine (in need of )
Old Nov 5th 2005, 3:50 am
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
I tried editing my previous post but it wouldn't let me... I figured out it probably had to do with the 'splitter' we used for the 2 phones. Because after removing it, the landline worked just fine.

Elaine (in need of )
Hi Elaine,

I just wanted to mention that we had our landline phone number ported over to our Lingo service. What I didn't realize at the time was once they finished with the porting I still had to cancel my service with AT&T. I couldn't figure out why we were still getting bills from AT&T when we had no dial tone on our landline. I had assumed that Lingo canceled our AT&T for us when they ported our number over...and I assumed wrong. I guess I just misread the wording of it all.

There is an option at the website for aconnection enhancer where you can choose how much bandwidth is being used. Obviously you would choose the higher bandwidth for better quality connections.

Let me know how you like your service.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thing1
Hi Elaine,

I just wanted to mention that we had our landline phone number ported over to our Lingo service. What I didn't realize at the time was once they finished with the porting I still had to cancel my service with AT&T. I couldn't figure out why we were still getting bills from AT&T when we had no dial tone on our landline. I had assumed that Lingo canceled our AT&T for us when they ported our number over...and I assumed wrong. I guess I just misread the wording of it all.

There is an option at the website for aconnection enhancer where you can choose how much bandwidth is being used. Obviously you would choose the higher bandwidth for better quality connections.

Let me know how you like your service.
Any idea how you get that connection enhancer to work? I was looking through my options, couldn't seem to see it.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 2:44 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Any idea how you get that connection enhancer to work? I was looking through my options, couldn't seem to see it.

Attached
Attached Thumbnails THANK YOU - for lingo-untitled-1.gif  
Old Nov 5th 2005, 3:22 pm
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

You have to be signed into your account. Once you click on the bit that fatbrit pointed out, there should be:

O Normal Call Connection Speed uses less of your broadband connection for phone calls and is recommended if you have DSL or a limited bandwidth broadband service. Each call uses approximately 30Kbps. Note: Most fax calls will automatically use Highest Call Connection Speed to ensure the quality of the transmission.

O Highest Call Connection Speed uses more of your broadband connection for calls, but should not affect browsing the internet. This setting is recommended if you have cable internet service or use Lingo for faxing frequently. Each call uses approximately 90Kbps.

Click on your choice and "submit and *voila*!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Have you noticed if it makes much difference?

By the way Fatbrit, got our referral credit through the other day for when you referred us - nice, thanks!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 5:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Have you noticed if it makes much difference?

By the way Fatbrit, got our referral credit through the other day for when you referred us - nice, thanks!

Haven't noticed, yet. Her ladyship had a super important phone call to make last week so I switched it on and rebooted for that. Might experiment with fax, though. I send loads of them (not my fault -- the client demands them!) and have to keep my fax modem set @ 9800 to give minimal rejection. Any higher and the receive machine was kicking our end off them a lot. Not that it really bothers me how long it takes to send them... Will report back.I receive all my faxes through Packetel -- nice, cheap and reliable service -- so receive ain't an issue.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 6:47 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Interesting! Also offering a softphone (useful from the laptop if you're away) and cell phone access to the service. Would love a softphone on Lingo. Vonage offer it but it's extra and there plans are not nearly as good as Lingo's for the international caller.
Whats a soft phone?
Old Nov 5th 2005, 7:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Whats a soft phone?
software....could use laptop hooked up to the internet, rather than having to bring the lingo phone box if you were on the road for instance..very handy if you were in a hotel...
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I receive all my faxes through Packetel -- nice, cheap and reliable service -- so receive ain't an issue.
That looks great as well - certainly seems the days of conventional fax machines are numbered.