Texas pubs

Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:44 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Question Texas pubs

My wife sent me a link to a pub in Houston, called The Red Lion - it's owned by a Brit and looks as though he's tried to keep it pretty authentic, while still, inevitably, catering to the weird Texan fads.

Houston's about a 3 1/2 hour drive for me though - does anybody know of any good pubs in the Austin area, preferably British-owned?

Cheers!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas pubs

Dog and Duck on 406 West 17th Street is OK.
Lion & Rose on 701 S. Capital of Texas Highway.

I have been in the D&D but not the L&R. I'm not sure either of them are worth the drive from Belton BTW. You aren't going to find the true English pub experience in TX. Most of the pubs in the US that I have seen seem to have a severe case of schizophrenia over whether they are trying to be an Irish or English pub....

- Tim
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:28 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I won't touch plastic Britpubs any more. I can get far better examples of the things I miss (good food, cask-conditioned ale, good atmosphere) in pubs that aren't pretending to be something they're not.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:08 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain View Post
Dog and Duck on 406 West 17th Street is OK.
Lion & Rose on 701 S. Capital of Texas Highway.

I have been in the D&D but not the L&R. I'm not sure either of them are worth the drive from Belton BTW. You aren't going to find the true English pub experience in TX. Most of the pubs in the US that I have seen seem to have a severe case of schizophrenia over whether they are trying to be an Irish or English pub....

- Tim
We have English Irish and even a Scottish pub here in Savannah, and at least some of the English ones are owned by real, bona fide Brits......
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:37 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
I won't touch plastic Britpubs any more. I can get far better examples of the things I miss (good food, cask-conditioned ale, good atmosphere) in pubs that aren't pretending to be something they're not.
Theres one on Westheimer in Houston that calls itself the "Fox and Hound English Pub and Grille" If you're in town, and missing the English pub atmosphere, don't go here!!! The singular hound and "lle" on the end of grill should have given the game away, but no, in search of that home away from home it lured us in....once! It's a massive barn of a place with about 20 wide screen TV's all round the walls, 6 or 8 pink pool tables and barstaff and waiters in bow ties. Nuff said.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:42 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
Theres one on Westheimer in Houston that calls itself the "Fox and Hound English Pub and Grille" If you're in town, and missing the English pub atmosphere, don't go here!!! The singular hound and "lle" on the end of grill should have given the game away, but no, in search of that home away from home it lured us in....once! It's a massive barn of a place with about 20 wide screen TV's all round the walls, 6 or 8 pink pool tables and barstaff and waiters in bow ties. Nuff said.
In all honesty I would have expected nothing less. I expect the fizzy Boddingtons and faux fish'n'chips represents the rancid cherry on the turdy trifle.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
My wife sent me a link to a pub in Houston, called The Red Lion - it's owned by a Brit and looks as though he's tried to keep it pretty authentic, while still, inevitably, catering to the weird Texan fads.

Houston's about a 3 1/2 hour drive for me though - does anybody know of any good pubs in the Austin area, preferably British-owned?

Cheers!
Who'd have thought you're a male lush?

Yours lovingly

Female Lush
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
thing is, they're all pretending to be Irish if they're pubs down here
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:14 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
thing is, they're all pretending to be Irish if they're pubs down here
When my dad went into the Black Rose in Govt. Center he said it reminded him of Belfast circa 1970. He kept his mouth shut in there too.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:17 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Who'd have thought you're a male lush?

Yours lovingly

Female Lush
Strictly a weekend lush at the moment. (TBH, I'm more interested in pub grub and the atmosphere).
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:42 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

No booze, but good food and friendly company at Full English Cafe - maybe not worth a drive, but deffo worth a visit if you are in town.

http://www.fullenglishfood.com/

Owned and operated by a Brit-Yank couple.