British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Texas pubs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/texas-pubs-703156/)

Uncle Ebenezer Jan 31st 2011 6:44 pm

Texas pubs

My wife sent me a link to a pub in Houston, called The Red Lion - it's owned by a Brit and looks as though he's tried to keep it pretty authentic, while still, inevitably, catering to the weird Texan fads.

Houston's about a 3 1/2 hour drive for me though - does anybody know of any good pubs in the Austin area, preferably British-owned?

Cheers!

TimFountain Jan 31st 2011 9:17 pm

Re: Texas pubs

Dog and Duck on 406 West 17th Street is OK.
Lion & Rose on 701 S. Capital of Texas Highway.

I have been in the D&D but not the L&R. I'm not sure either of them are worth the drive from Belton BTW. You aren't going to find the true English pub experience in TX. Most of the pubs in the US that I have seen seem to have a severe case of schizophrenia over whether they are trying to be an Irish or English pub....

- Tim

tonrob Jan 31st 2011 9:28 pm

I won't touch plastic Britpubs any more. I can get far better examples of the things I miss (good food, cask-conditioned ale, good atmosphere) in pubs that aren't pretending to be something they're not.

cindyabs Jan 31st 2011 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 9142320)
Dog and Duck on 406 West 17th Street is OK.
Lion & Rose on 701 S. Capital of Texas Highway.

I have been in the D&D but not the L&R. I'm not sure either of them are worth the drive from Belton BTW. You aren't going to find the true English pub experience in TX. Most of the pubs in the US that I have seen seem to have a severe case of schizophrenia over whether they are trying to be an Irish or English pub....

- Tim

We have English Irish and even a Scottish pub here in Savannah, and at least some of the English ones are owned by real, bona fide Brits......

Yorkieabroad Jan 31st 2011 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9142342)
I won't touch plastic Britpubs any more. I can get far better examples of the things I miss (good food, cask-conditioned ale, good atmosphere) in pubs that aren't pretending to be something they're not.

Theres one on Westheimer in Houston that calls itself the "Fox and Hound English Pub and Grille" If you're in town, and missing the English pub atmosphere, don't go here!!! The singular hound and "lle" on the end of grill should have given the game away, but no, in search of that home away from home it lured us in....once! It's a massive barn of a place with about 20 wide screen TV's all round the walls, 6 or 8 pink pool tables and barstaff and waiters in bow ties. Nuff said.

tonrob Feb 1st 2011 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 9142592)
Theres one on Westheimer in Houston that calls itself the "Fox and Hound English Pub and Grille" If you're in town, and missing the English pub atmosphere, don't go here!!! The singular hound and "lle" on the end of grill should have given the game away, but no, in search of that home away from home it lured us in....once! It's a massive barn of a place with about 20 wide screen TV's all round the walls, 6 or 8 pink pool tables and barstaff and waiters in bow ties. Nuff said.

In all honesty I would have expected nothing less. I expect the fizzy Boddingtons and faux fish'n'chips represents the rancid cherry on the turdy trifle.

Jerseygirl Feb 1st 2011 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9142042)
My wife sent me a link to a pub in Houston, called The Red Lion - it's owned by a Brit and looks as though he's tried to keep it pretty authentic, while still, inevitably, catering to the weird Texan fads.

Houston's about a 3 1/2 hour drive for me though - does anybody know of any good pubs in the Austin area, preferably British-owned?

Cheers!

Who'd have thought you're a male lush?

Yours lovingly

Female Lush

Bob Feb 1st 2011 3:44 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9142342)

thing is, they're all pretending to be Irish if they're pubs down here :D

sime303 Feb 1st 2011 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9142977)
thing is, they're all pretending to be Irish if they're pubs down here :D

When my dad went into the Black Rose in Govt. Center he said it reminded him of Belfast circa 1970. He kept his mouth shut in there too.

Uncle Ebenezer Feb 1st 2011 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9142725)
Who'd have thought you're a male lush?

Yours lovingly

Female Lush

Strictly a weekend lush at the moment. (TBH, I'm more interested in pub grub and the atmosphere).

snowbunny Feb 1st 2011 8:42 pm

No booze, but good food and friendly company at Full English Cafe - maybe not worth a drive, but deffo worth a visit if you are in town.

http://www.fullenglishfood.com/

Owned and operated by a Brit-Yank couple.