Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas driving license. Are we resident or non-resident?

Texas driving license. Are we resident or non-resident?

Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:36 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Texas driving license. Are we resident or non-resident?

I am in the same "boat" as you.

I hold a H1-b and my wife and son have H4.

You are recognized by USCIS as "Non-resident legal alien".

For tax reporting, you are recognized as a "Resident legal alien".

Watch out for the driving license gang. Rules changed 2 years ago and you don't get the standard Texas license. You now get a nice stand out in a crowd license. It will be valid only for the period of your visa. Your wife will get a similar license. I STONGLY suggest you both apply at the same time since you never know what paperwork they will ask for. Take passports, I-94, H1-b, H-4, letter confirming position from employer.

Good luck!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

My husband and I are now the holders of the Texas Driving License! We went to the DPS Office just off Beltway 8, slightly north of I-10. It is such a busy office. I went one lunch time and had a bit of a wait. I asked when would be the best/quiet time for my husband to go as he would have to take time off work. The person dealing with me just laughed like it was the funniest joke all day! Point taken, they are a very busy office!

It was 7.30am when my husband joined the already long queue (about 40ish people) for the 8am opening. He didn't leave the DPS office until just after 1pm. Needless to say he didn't expect to be away from work for so long!

The driving part was totally different, however! His appointment was at 8am and by 8.15am he had sat the test and told he had passed!

Advice to others:

Go to a smaller out of town location. Tomball has been suggested. It is further to drive to, but no queues - apparently!

Thanks again and I can sleep happier knowing that we are fully legal, although there are still some people who insist we have a year to do the test. I have yet to see anything official to back up that claim!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie2
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

My husband and I are now the holders of the Texas Driving License! We went to the DPS Office just off Beltway 8, slightly north of I-10. It is such a busy office. I went one lunch time and had a bit of a wait. I asked when would be the best/quiet time for my husband to go as he would have to take time off work. The person dealing with me just laughed like it was the funniest joke all day! Point taken, they are a very busy office!

It was 7.30am when my husband joined the already long queue (about 40ish people) for the 8am opening. He didn't leave the DPS office until just after 1pm. Needless to say he didn't expect to be away from work for so long!

The driving part was totally different, however! His appointment was at 8am and by 8.15am he had sat the test and told he had passed

Advice to others:

Go to a smaller out of town location. Tomball has been suggested. It is further to drive to, but no queues - apparently!

Thanks again and I can sleep happier knowing that we are fully legal, although there are still some people who insist we have a year to do the test. I have yet to see anything official to back up that claim!
Congrats