Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas Driving License

Texas Driving License

Old Jul 31st 2020, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas Driving License

So my wife and I went back this morning only to be told the DHS link is still down. They made new appointments for us for this coming Tuesday morning. So the process continues...
Old Jul 31st 2020, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LegalEagleTX
So my wife and I went back this morning only to be told the DHS link is still down. They made new appointments for us for this coming Tuesday morning. So the process continues...
Wow, that really sucks.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. My wife spoke to them as I was waiting in the car - her appointment was first. The DPS person whom made the new appointments told her the system had been down all week, so we have very little hope it will be resolved by Tuesday. But what can ya do?
Old Aug 5th 2020, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

We went back to the Conroe Department of Public Safety yesterday. The lady outside the front door recognised us and confirmed that the DHS system was back up and ushered us inside to a special seating area for 'continuations'. We had to wait for about 10 minutes. I was called up first, the lady brought up my details and typed stuff which took about 5 minutes. My wife was called up to another counter during this time. My lady went aside and spoke to her lady and came back to say that we could only do the written test today and we would have to rebook for the practical test or take the practical test with an approved third party driving school. I could hear my wife we being told the same thing at the same time. We had both expected to do the written and then the practical straight after. I don't know if that was ever possible pre-Covid but they said the rules now require two separate appointments. At that point nothing surprised us, we just looked across at each other and shrugged. We both paid the $30 odd bucks and did the written test at the same time, 30 multi-choice questions. Much harder than I thought, things like stopping distance, fines for open bottles of alcohol, who do you report an accident too (i.e. sheriff, police or trooper), age and years driving you can supervise a learner driver etc. My only study had been on road signs, betting the rest was common sense. Anyway, we both passed, I got 23/30 so a bit relieved We were then advised to get temporary driving permits as if we go through a third party tester they will want to see it, even though we could continue to drive on our UK licenses. If we go through a third party tester they said we would need to rebook with the DPS to take our certificate in, it isn't automatically fed through. So it doesn't seem to be much of a benefit of going through a third party tester anyway.

I looked online when I got home, earliest for a driving test in Conroe is November, but at the Spring Mega Center down the road there are slots for the end of the month.

So we are inching closer y'all...
Old Aug 6th 2020, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that the admin is harder than the tests is probably a bad sign - it is little wonder the car insurance rates are so high here.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 7:39 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Palmer30
Wow, sounds like a painful process, I hope you manage to get it sorted soon. Just out of interest, how soon did you manage to get an appointment?

I have began the booking process this week and the earliest appointment I can get (within the Dallas area) is November! I have been told to check online each morning at 6am for cancellations.

Also, you mentioned that you have been driving on your UK license here? Are you a GC holder? I have been hearing lots of conflicting information as to the rules of people driving in Texas within the first 60-90 days with a UK license.

i just want to be able to get out on the road and practice before I take my test (with my UKC wife in the passenger seat) but I dont think I can do that without firstly getting an appointment at the DPS and applying for a learner permit! Which I cant get until November!
You may have more success going through a driving school. My wife (54) did this and it was so much easier. She still had to physically go to the DPS to get her license once she had passed her test though.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 11:08 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Palmer30;12889647]Wow, sounds like a painful process, I hope you manage to get it sorted soon. Just out of interest, how soon did you manage to get an appointment?

I have began the booking process this week and the earliest appointment I can get (within the Dallas area) is November! I have been told to check online each morning at 6am for cancellations.

Also, you mentioned that you have been driving on your UK license here? Are you a GC holder? I have been hearing lots of conflicting information as to the rules of people driving in Texas within the first 60-90 days with a UK license.

i just want to be able to get out on the road and practice before I take my test (with my UKC wife in the passenger seat) but I dont think I can do that without firstly getting an appointment at the DPS and applying for a learner permit! Which I cant get until November![/QUOTE

there is no conflicting information about driving with your UK license. - You can drive on an out of state license for up to 90 days. However, you can't get an appointment until November and the police etc are well aware of this and I've been told you will not face problems with them provided you have your first appointment booked. Check with your insurers though if you want to carry on driving past the 90 days.
I have a pdf which I give to my clients about how to get a Texas license - PM me if you'd like a copy. It's not very difficult but you do have to make sure that you do everything necessary and provide the documentation that they need.
I think a 3rd Party skills tester for the test is a great idea. In Austin, they charge $100 or $150 if you want it done the same day.