Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas Driving Licence?

Texas Driving Licence?

Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice
Default Texas Driving Licence?

I moved to Texas 10 days ago today on a K1 visa, I have a full UK DL, but was wondering how I get a Texas State DL?

I did a search on here, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for... so if anyone has a link or can help me out, it would be most appreciated.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:45 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas Driving Licence?

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ol/dlindex.htm

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis..._dl_id.htm#q51

Last edited by sime303; Aug 14th 2009 at 4:48 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice

Thank you
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Eta: Sime303 beat me to it.

Last edited by English Muffin; Aug 14th 2009 at 4:57 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Take green card and social security card to nearest DPS.
Fill out forms. Take computer test. Take vision test. Take driving test (bring insured and registered car, licensed driver to get your there, proof of insurance. Bring proof of registration if it's your own car, but in that case, bring licensed driver anyway). Bring proof of address. Can be same as proof of insurance if it's your name. Otherwise, utility bill or rental agreement. Bring money.
Receive paper license immediately.
Receive TX DL via mail 4 weeks later.

Notice how I didn't mention anything about your UK license? Yeah, don't do that either, and you get to keep it. Honestly, the question never came up, I was merely asked about US or Canadian licenses I might have/had.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ok I need some help / advice please. I went to the DMV to take my written and eye test (Fort Worth TX) this morning, and was told I cant take it.

I arrived here on Aug 4th on a K1 visa from the UK (getting married Oct 31st) how soon can I go for my driving test?... there was some confusing at the DMV place.... As I thought I could take it now, before we got married.

Also how easy is the TX written and driving test?... I.E. how many question do you have to answer?... how many can you get wrong?... and what is the driving test its self like?

Anyway here is how the conversataion went this morning, any help would be great.

Myself: Hi, I'm here to take my written and eye test.

Lady: Can I see your documents.

Myself: Ok here you go.

Lady: Your visa is no good, you cant take a driving test here.

Myself: Oh ok, why?

Lady: You need a visa that is valid for 6 months, yours runs out on Nov 2nd.

Myself: Oh ok, but its a K1 visa. Valid for 90 days.

Lady: Yes but it runs out on Nov 2nd.

Myself: Yes, cos its a 90 day visa.

Lady: Anyway your passport runs out on Nov 2nd, your passport must be valid for at least 12 months. So even at that you can't take you test.

Myself: No thats my visa, not my passport. My main passport page is the very last page, which is a 10 year passport.

Lady: No look here (without going to the last page) it says Nov 2nd. Thats when your passport is expired.

Myself: Yes it says Nov 2nd, but thats for my visa, not my passport.

Lady: Well you need to have a visa that is valid for 6 months.

Myself: Well my K1 visa its only valid for 90 days, then we must get married.

Lady: No its not, you can get this kind of visa for up to 12 months. Call them up.

Myself: No its a 90 day visa only, we marry before the 90 days are up.

Lady: No these visas get valid for up to 12 months.

Myself: Ok then what do I do as since its up on Nov 2nd.

Lady: Thats your problem, you need to sort it out.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:23 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, you're screwed. TX is refusing DLs to anybody with less that 6 months on their visa. It's DPS policy, they've been sued, lost and appealed. AFAIK, the appeal is pending.

Your options are:
1. Wait until you get married and apply to adjust, then hope that whatever paperwork you get is acceptable to DPS (I'm not sure what the paperwork is - hopefully you'll get an EAD for >6months or something). Then they'll give you a vertical DL with "Temporary Visitor" on it.

2. Move to another state until you get your GC.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yep, you're screwed. TX is refusing DLs to anybody with less that 6 months on their visa. It's DPS policy, they've been sued, lost and appealed. AFAIK, the appeal is pending.

Your options are:
1. Wait until you get married and apply to adjust, then hope that whatever paperwork you get is acceptable to DPS (I'm not sure what the paperwork is - hopefully you'll get an EAD for >6months or something). Then they'll give you a vertical DL with "Temporary Visitor" on it.

2. Move to another state until you get your GC.

Well that sucks, thanks for the info... and moving to another state is out of the question
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
hi,
Is that 6 months left on the validity of the VISA or 6 months validity left on the I-94?

OP, it will be helpful to you in the future to know the difference between those two. Your K-1 visa was valid for 6 months the day it was issued. Your I-94 is valid for 90 days from entry to the US.
If you have not yet gone to SSA to get your Social Security Number, do that today instead. You must apply within your first 76 days or wait for your EAD.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
hi,
Is that 6 months left on the validity of the VISA or 6 months validity left on the I-94?

OP, it will be helpful to you in the future to know the difference between those two. Your K-1 visa was valid for 6 months the day it was issued. Your I-94 is valid for 90 days from entry to the US.
If you have not yet gone to SSA to get your Social Security Number, do that today instead. You must apply within your first 76 days or wait for your EAD.

Hi,

On my visa it says my K1 expiration date is Jan 27 2010... my I-94 stamp says Nov 2nd.

I did tell her this, but she was still insisting my vias expires on Nov 2nd. I even pointed out on my visa where it said Expires 27 Jan 2010.

I explained the Nov 2nd is the day we must get married by (as I entered the US on Aug 4)... but she was all like, no Nov 2nd its when your visa expires.

Anyway, even at Jan 2010, I'm still under the 6 months. So I dont think I would be allowed to sit me test.

I have already been to the SSA about my SSN, got my SSN in last week.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig73
Hi,

On my visa it says my K1 expiration date is Jan 27 2010... my I-94 stamp says Nov 2nd.

I did tell her this, but she was still insisting my vias expires on Nov 2nd. I even pointed out on my visa where it said Expires 27 Jan 2010.

I explained the Nov 2nd is the day we must get married by (as I entered the US on Aug 4)... but she was all like, no Nov 2nd its when your visa expires.

Anyway, even at Jan 2010, I'm still under the 6 months. So I dont think I would be allowed to sit me test.

I have already been to the SSA about my SSN, got my SSN in last week.
OK, you are both correct, just using the wrong terms.

Your visa *was* valid to Jan2010.. it is a one-use visa and you used it so the *visa* doesn't matter anymore.

Nov 2 is the last day of your permitted stay in the US. You must also marry your USC by that date. Nov 2 is all the permitted stay you have in the US.
You must file another set of paperwork to continue to stay in the US.

Your I-94 (white card) is the document that is evidence of your legal presence. Sounds like TX wants that to be for longer than 6 months (like a student, H or L employee etc).

But as you note, you only have evidence of temporary allowed stay of less than 6 months so you don't comply with Texas' rules.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

OK, you are both correct, just using the wrong terms.

Your visa *was* valid to Jan2010.. it is a one-use visa and you used it so the *visa* doesn't matter anymore.

Nov 2 is the last day of your permitted stay in the US. You must also marry your USC by that date. Nov 2 is all the permitted stay you have in the US.
You must file another set of paperwork to continue to stay in the US.

Your I-94 (white card) is the document that is evidence of your legal presence. Sounds like TX wants that to be for longer than 6 months (like a student, H or L employee etc).

But as you note, you only have evidence of temporary allowed stay of less than 6 months so you don't comply with Texas' rules.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, sounds like there was alot of confusing going on between the lady and myself (she didnt really seem to know what she was doing)

She was still insisting that my UK passport also ran out on Nov 2nd, she keept thinking my Visa was actually my passport... and when I tried to tell her that was not my actual passport, she was getting a pissed off look on her face.

She was even saying if I had a 6 months visa I could still not take the test because my passport also ran out on Nov 2nd.... and I need to have a passport that has at least 12 months left on it.

I was real nice to her, and tried to tell her my passport is a 10 year UK passport, and shes looking the visa part that says Nov 2nd... not actually my passport (thats what I was angry at the most)

Then she keept telling my that a K1 Visa should last up to 12 months, not 6 months when it was issued.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Craig73
Thanks for clearing that up for me, sounds like there was alot of confusing going on between the lady and myself (she didnt really seem to know what she was doing)

She was still insisting that my UK passport also ran out on Nov 2nd, she keept thinking my Visa was actually my passport... and when I tried to tell her that was not my actual passport, she was getting a pissed off look on her face.

She was even saying if I had a 6 months visa I could still not take the test because my passport also ran out on Nov 2nd.... and I need to have a passport that has at least 12 months left on it.

I was real nice to her, and tried to tell her my passport is a 10 year UK passport, and shes looking the visa part that says Nov 2nd... not actually my passport (thats what I was angry at the most)

Then she keept telling my that a K1 Visa should last up to 12 months, not 6 months when it was issued.
Well, you moved to TX!

It's a short term problem. Get your Adjustment of Status filed tout suite and you'll be on the road again.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Well, you moved to TX!

It's a short term problem. Get your Adjustment of Status filed tout suite and you'll be on the road again.
Yes as soon as I get my AOS filed, I'll see then what I need to do to get back on the road. Thanks for your help
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:11 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, you moved to TX!
To be fair, DMV employees being know-nothing assholes who are right even when they're wrong is hardly limited to TX...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.