Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas Driving Licence

Texas Driving Licence

Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:05 am
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of
Default Texas Driving Licence

Hi,

Can anyone help me here ? I've been trying to arrange to get my Texas Driving Licence and I have a few questions.

Here's what i do know.

I have a UK Licence
I need to take both the written and the practical for both Car and Motorcycle
Pluto is no longer officially a planet !

Here's what I don't know

Where do I go to do this ?
Do I need to provide the Vehicle ? This is ok for the car but bike could be tricky...
Can I drop into this place in person to arrange the appointment ?
Do I need a SSN to get a Driving Licence ?

I've been trying to call them solidly for the last 3 days and there's no answer... or at least the automated answer machine tells me to call back even when it's when I have called back, if you know what I mean !

Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:30 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas Driving Licence

You go to the local Texas DMV office to take your test. The Texas DMV information site (www.tx.dmv.org) has lots of useful information on how to go about getting your Texas license.

There's a full map and list of DMV offices here.

Yes, you need to provide the vehicle (remembering that it's pronounced "Vee-HIC-le" round here.

Yes, you can drop in, but they'll probably give you a time to come back and take your test, unless you choose some mid-morning weekday at an out-of-the-way DMV office.

Yes, you need an SSN if your visa entitles you to one. That is to say, if your visa DOES NOT allow you an SSN, you can swear to that fact and get your license without one, but otherwise you'll have to wait for your SSN.

...and in Texas, unlike many other states, you have 12 months in which to take your test and get your Texas license, so if your SSN hasn't arrived yet, there's not too much of a rush.

Last edited by dbj1000; Jan 4th 2007 at 3:33 am.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 5:53 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Yes, you need an SSN if your visa entitles you to one. That is to say, if your visa DOES NOT allow you an SSN, you can swear to that fact and get your license without one, but otherwise you'll have to wait for your SSN.
The form as of May 2006 actually says something to the effect that you are not eligible for a number, OR if you are eligible but have NOT applied for a number.

You also are supposed to prove citizenship; I believe if you are a USC you tick a box and say that you are; if you are not, you are supposed to show a passport with valid visa.

And yes, you must provide your own vehicle, from a motorcycle on through to an 18-wheeler depending on the test.

HOWEVER! you do not have to be particularly skilled at driving!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 6:23 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny

What peeves me about FL is that even if you are a PR you don't get your new licence right away (as in renewal). You have to wait 10 days or something like it for it, just like the rest of the visa folk.

Only if you are a USC do you get it right away. I think it is a load of bollocks.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 6:32 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Do you guys know anything about the motorbike license? Do you normally need a separate written test or just the practical? And how does the practical work? Do you take it in a circuit or road (or both)?
Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:07 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Do you guys know anything about the motorbike license? Do you normally need a separate written test or just the practical? And how does the practical work? Do you take it in a circuit or road (or both)?
I know nothing about the bike test, but if it's anything like the car test you'll just need to be able to sit on the bike the right wayaround, start the ignition or do your best motorbike engine impression, and then prove without a shadow of a doubt that you do not know where the turn signals are!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 2:30 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The form as of May 2006 actually says something to the effect that you are not eligible for a number, OR if you are eligible but have NOT applied for a number.

You also are supposed to prove citizenship; I believe if you are a USC you tick a box and say that you are; if you are not, you are supposed to show a passport with valid visa.

And yes, you must provide your own vehicle, from a motorcycle on through to an 18-wheeler depending on the test.

---
Thanks All !

So I can apply for a licence before I get my SSN by saying I haven't applied for one ? This will save me $$$ on insurance as it's bloody expensive on a UK licence so I don't want to have to wait another 2 months to get my EAD so I can get my SSN.

With regard to bikes, from what I've read it's the same very basic test, start it up and drive round the block. Non of this U-turn without putting you're foot down or smoking doughnut !

Rich./
Old Jan 4th 2007, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Taking the M/Cycle test here in Texas is fairly straightfoward. When my OH did his I had to be there as well in our truck so the DPS officer could ride with me as I followed him while he was being tested. She told me to honk the horn once for him to make a right, twice for a left and three times for him to stop! It took all of about 10 minutes, basically going round the block!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 2:38 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I know nothing about the bike test, but if it's anything like the car test you'll just need to be able to sit on the bike the right wayaround, start the ignition or do your best motorbike engine impression, and then prove without a shadow of a doubt that you do not know where the turn signals are!
I can do that
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Texas, but here in FL I did the MSF course which included a written and practical test.

I think if you do it at the DMV you only need to do the practical test.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I don't know about Texas, but here in FL I did the MSF course which included a written and practical test.

I think if you do it at the DMV you only need to do the practical test.
You got yours recently, didn't you? I read it somewhere last night.. Congrats

Did you get a bike?
Old Jan 4th 2007, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

You got yours recently, didn't you? I read it somewhere last night.. Congrats

Did you get a bike?
I wish...

There's some complications I need to fix before I can get one, namely where I'll be putting it!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 5:21 pm

I wish...

There's some complications I need to fix before I can get one, namely where I'll be putting it!
I see.. I got my license in Spain years ago but never got around buying one, though I always felt that one day I would.. I was about to get this in England, but the whether really sucks for riding and I changed my mind in the end.. Maybe I'll get one here though I'd only use it in the summer..
Attached Thumbnails Texas Driving Licence-asuzuki.jpg  
Old Jan 4th 2007, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I see.. I got my license in Spain years ago but never got around buying one, though I always felt that one day I would.. I was about to get this in England, but the whether really sucks for riding and I changed my mind in the end.. Maybe I'll get one here though I'd only use it in the summer..
Florida's a great place for riding during winter, but in summer it's just too humid (I'm not going riding without a helmet!).

Where are you?
Old Jan 4th 2007, 5:37 pm

Florida's a great place for riding during winter, but in summer it's just too humid (I'm not going riding without a helmet!).

Where are you?

In Colorado

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.