Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas Driving Licence

Texas Driving Licence

Old Jan 4th 2007, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas Driving Licence

Originally Posted by anabella
In Colorado
Bet it sucks to ride a bike there now

Best get yourself a snowmobile.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 5:47 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Bet it sucks to ride a bike there now

Best get yourself a snowmobile.

I am considering that too.. they really are a lot of fun! and quite a work out as well. Luckily I have a friend that owns 4 and I can borrow one whenever I want to, but it'd be nice to have my own..
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

You must be mad to want to ride a bike in TX (or anywhere in the US). Haven't you noticed the locals drive like nutters? Actually that is being kind to nutters as they may well be paying attention, which 99% of the drivers around here aren't.... Anyway you have a number of choices for the DMV, there is one on N.Lamar, but get there early as there are queues from 6:00 in the morning. If you are lucky you will get both the written and driving bit done at the same day, otherwise come back another day for the driving bit. Another option is the Georgetown DMV, it is hard to find but small and quiet, Google for the address. Also make sure the car you take for the test is insured, I know of two people who had to come back another day as their insurance wasn't in order. The easiest is to rent an crappy econo box for the day from Hertz et.al. Oh and don't epxect that your insurance will be anywhere near reasonable for the first couple of years. No one is interested in 20 years of claim free driving in the UK (even when supported by a letter from my insurers). We are now down to $1800 per year for 2 reasonable cars.

- Tim
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TimFountain
You must be mad to want to ride a bike in TX (or anywhere in the US).
- Tim

if i had loads of spare cash i'd buy a brand new harley and all the gear to go with it....excellent location to ride them on the straight roads out of town here and i'd probably keep going and not look back
Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

Im with you (TruBrit) on this one. I was born in Tomball (Harris County/Houston)
and would never move back. Oops, better not say never. But NEVER!!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:31 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

You must be mad to want to ride a bike in TX (or anywhere in the US). Haven't you noticed the locals drive like nutters? Actually that is being kind to nutters as they may well be paying attention, which 99% of the drivers around here aren't.... Anyway you have a number of choices for the DMV, there is one on N.Lamar, but get there early as there are queues from 6:00 in the morning. If you are lucky you will get both the written and driving bit done at the same day, otherwise come back another day for the driving bit. Another option is the Georgetown DMV, it is hard to find but small and quiet, Google for the address. Also make sure the car you take for the test is insured, I know of two people who had to come back another day as their insurance wasn't in order. The easiest is to rent an crappy econo box for the day from Hertz et.al. Oh and don't epxect that your insurance will be anywhere near reasonable for the first couple of years. No one is interested in 20 years of claim free driving in the UK (even when supported by a letter from my insurers). We are now down to $1800 per year for 2 reasonable cars.

- Tim
Thanks man,

I'll be off to the DMV tmw.

Put it this way. I've communted into central London every day for 5 years on a bike so traffic over here doesn't really bother me.

Appreciate the advice but I already have a car here and insurance. Bit shocked by your statements as we've paying $500 for both of us on a Truck and a Jeep and that's with me on a UK Licence. Once I get the Texas licence I will drop considerably.

Rich./
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

- Tim
I'll consider you lucky re. Insurance, mine's $260 a month for me and the wife, and two cars.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seahorse3
Im with you (TruBrit) on this one. I was born in Tomball (Harris County/Houston)
and would never move back. Oops, better not say never. But NEVER!!
thanks
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
if i had loads of spare cash i'd buy a brand new harley and all the gear to go with it....excellent location to ride them on the straight roads out of town here and i'd probably keep going and not look back
Well if it's a Harley, don't expect your escape to be too far away then, you might make it as far as Galveston without breaking down
Old Jan 9th 2007, 2:41 pm
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

Got my TX DL a little while back, the persons car in front of me's passenger door wouldnt open! You drive around a very quiet residential area for 10 minutes, their version of an emergency stop is to slow down quickly from 20 mph. You will be fine.

I have been interested in getting a motorcycle here in TX and as much as the people do not use indicators here, i also drove in and out of London for the best part of 13 years and i'll take my chances here any day.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:46 am
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Thackattack
Got my TX DL a little while back, the persons car in front of me's passenger door wouldnt open! You drive around a very quiet residential area for 10 minutes, their version of an emergency stop is to slow down quickly from 20 mph. You will be fine.

I have been interested in getting a motorcycle here in TX and as much as the people do not use indicators here, i also drove in and out of London for the best part of 13 years and i'll take my chances here any day.

I'm beginning to think you're just copying me.... although I was born on the 21st of May 1975 !