Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas Drivers License

Texas Drivers License

Old Oct 9th 2001, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

SharonR is an unknown quantity at this point

With the other topic of a restricted drivers license being issued in California - I was wondering it Texas does anything like that (sure hope not!!!!)

Anyone driving in Texas? or have any trouble getting their "real" drivers license?

Also, did you have to take the actual behind-the-wheel driving test or just the written exam?

The guardian angels are reading this for a reply (inside joke)

Thanks in advance!

Hey check out our web site:
http://www.alogic.co.uk/visa/

Old Oct 9th 2001, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a link to the Texas Dept of Public Safety page.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ol/dlindex.htm

I had a quick look and couldn't find anything about being a new resident from overseas.

IIRC, from discussions from the dim and distant past, Texas probably does require a road test, but they are extremely lenient about the time frame - giving you up to a year to get your Texas license (this is from memory only and I may be completely wrong). However, I personally don't think it is a good idea to put this off as a Driver's License is not just a license to drive - it's a license to live - and further there are generally hefty insurance charges if you don't have a local license. I'm sure that most folk arriving on a K1 will have a lot of time on their hands for the first few weeks (with EAD pending), and so might as well get started on the license. I'd recommend visiting the DL office within the first few days to find out exactly what paperwork is required, and to get a copy of the Texas rules of the road.

I had my Ohio license within 10 days of arriving (paperwork at 3 days and road test a week later). It really doesn't take long to get used to the roads and the stop signs.

Old Oct 9th 2001, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that helpful reply.

This question is indeed about me!!!! I arrive in just a few weeks time!!! Yes Sharon, those guardian angels are quaking in their boots as I intend to drive there from day one!

(I'll explain in an email to anyone that wants to know as it's a bit, well a lot, OT)

I am not 100% sure about the timescales, a year sounds very optimistic to me, but you are right about a DL being more than just a DL...

Brian.
Old Oct 9th 2001, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brian,

I never been to Texas, but if their driving is anything like Ohio's, you'll be the best driver on the road.

Old Oct 9th 2001, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Ameriscot
Brian,

I never been to Texas, but if their driving is anything like Ohio's, you'll be the best driver on the road.

blush...
Old Oct 9th 2001, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Hey americscot - we had read and re-read the Texas Department of Public Safety page and couldn't find any specific guidance. We had also written to the DPS Licensing Division and received conflicting information.

I'm looking for anyone who's in Texas and has actually undergone the Texas drivers license scenario. Brian is just about used up his quota of guardian angels.

BTW, Texas has the best drivers of anywhere - maybe you should move here (-:

Old Oct 9th 2001, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can search through old posts to this group at http://www.google.com

I did a search for Texas drivers license and got a lot of good messages. I'm sure your answer will be there.

Here's the URL it gave me:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=te...ews.rsn.hp.com

Old Oct 9th 2001, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Ameriscot
You can search through old posts to this group at http://www.google.com

I did a search for Texas drivers license and got a lot of good messages. I'm sure your answer will be there.

Here's the URL it gave me:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=te...ews.rsn.hp.com

I see there are LONG threads about "Frontage Road" being the longest road in the world - hehehehe

The thread about peoples pet hates of driving in America is a good one (and they are called Roundabouts)
Old Oct 10th 2001, 2:08 am
Layindawg

I contact the DPS last month with the same question... Here's the reply.

"Nonresidents may drive any vehicle in Texas if they are legally licensed to drive
such a vehicle in their home state or country. Therefore, an International Driver
License is acceptable; however, if you will be moving to Texas as a new resident, and
you are properly licensed, you have 30 days after entry into the state to obtain a
Texas driver license. At that time, you will be required to have your vision checked,
show proof of liability insurance or a notarized statement of non-ownership of a
motor vehicle, present proof of having a Social Security number, have your photograph
taken, and pay the required $24.00 fee."

Old Oct 10th 2001, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

>I contact the DPS last month with the same question...

Great info... very relevant. I take that to mean there is no practical or written test to take - just the vision thing?

WOW!

Brian.

Old Oct 10th 2001, 10:17 am
Ridtx

SharonR <[email protected]>

I was in Houston for a few years working (L1 visa), I know it wasn't a K-1 but I am
doing that now, it should make no difference at all. I got a full license.

Anyway, one of the first things I did upon arrival was to get a driving license, the
other was a social security number (before license). I qued at the local license
center for ages to fill in forms, take the written test, (do it on the computer it is
easier). Next day I turned up early to take the driving part of the test. First come
first served so to speak, there was a big que hours before the office opened. I took
it in a hire, sorry rental car. You can get this on your UK DVLC. They will phone the
rental company to check insurance etc but everything was fine. I did 4 right turns
around a housing estate followed by a parallel parking exercise. It took all of
5mins. Then you get your photo taken and your license arrives at your address soon
after. It really is that easy. The queing was the worst.

Good luck. But really if you have driven in the UK this will be a breeze.

ROB

Old Oct 10th 2001, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Thank you both for the reply!

Old Oct 10th 2001, 6:50 pm
Xavieraero

Hi Sharon

I live in Texas and i havent got any trouble to get a drivers license.Just go to
the DPS and tell them you want to get a drivers license.When i went over there,they
gave me a little yellow book to study and i took the written exam a few days
later,there are not many questions and its not really hard.Once you have passed the
test they schedule you an appointment for your driving test,thats another piece of
cake.You have to bring your car and the officer will check your lights and take you
for a ride ( short one for me...i just had to drive around the block),he also asked
me to park between 2 cones.Once its done they take your picture and you get a
temporary one until you get the real one by the mail...i got mine within 2 weeks. I
hope this helps.

Xavier