Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas Drivers Licence

Texas Drivers Licence

Old Dec 16th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute
Default Texas Drivers Licence

We are UK residents but regular visitors to US on VWP. We have an apartment and car in Texas and have had insurance on the car for 2 years using our UK driving licences.

We have just received notice from State Farm that they will no longer insure us because we don't have US or Canadian licences.

We 'appear' to be unable to get a Texas licence as we do not have an SSN, although there it looks like you may be able to surrender the UK licence for a Texas one but obviously that isn't feasible.

Anybody any previous experience or suggestions?

I am obviously going to look at other insurers but having a Texas licence would be preferable and keep the insurance costs down!

Thanks
Old Dec 16th 2011, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas Drivers Licence

I can't speak for Texas, but most states will tie the validity of the license to whatever evidence of legal presence you have. So if they did give you one without an SSN or much else you would get a 90 day license.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, what he said.

So either shop around, or ditch the car. If you're only here for short VWP stretches, long term rental is probably cheaper anyway than the faff of keeping a car road legal.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I know that in Texas you have to show your legal immigration status as well as a SSN to get a US license. They will not give you one without prrof of the appropriate visa.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, guess I need to look round the other insurance providers
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
Thanks guys, guess I need to look round the other insurance providers
Or if you have friends/relatives where you live, get the title put in to their name and they are insured and then you can drive it with their permission. Don't know how cost affective this would be?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:41 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Says on their site if you do not have SSN you need to complete SSN affidavit available at their offices: Here is the link:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...forLicense.htm

#3 might be the difficult one
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Says on their site if you do not have SSN you need to complete SSN affidavit available at their offices: Here is the link:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...forLicense.htm

#3 might be the difficult one
Yes, It's #3 that will be the problem. Even with an I 94 stamp in their passport it has to be followed by I 551 ( I think or it's 155) to note that they've applied for LPR.
Coming on the VWP just won't cut it.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

I live in CA but used Bristol and West insurance , they insured me with no USA licence or no USA SSN ! and it wasnt too bad like $100 per month for a Navigator

They said once I got my licence and SSN to call them back and they could probably drop the price down
Old Dec 17th 2011, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

I had a car registered and insured in Texas in my name for years and never showed them a North American drivers license. Even got pulled over once and showed the state trooper my German license and gave home the same story as OP did, i.e. no really, I just have this car for when I visit the US.
Was with Progressive at the time.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kar98
I had a car registered and insured in Texas in my name for years and never showed them a North American drivers license. Even got pulled over once and showed the state trooper my German license and gave home the same story as OP did, i.e. no really, I just have this car for when I visit the US.
Which may be ok until you're involved in an accident and then find out that your insurance isn't valid without a US license.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

we live in Texas and my daughter has just got her license. It is in the 'rule book' at the Department of Motor Vehicles that the I-94 has at least 6 months left on it. She does not have a SSN so took her ITIN number and her passport and I was asked to supply a letter of employment or recent pay slip.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
If you did this pre=9/11 then it was probably possible. Lots of rules and regulations got stricter after this.