Reload this Page >

Texas Drivers Licence.

Texas Drivers Licence.

Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

BROONER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Texas Drivers Licence.

Hi all,

I have recently moved over to Houston from Bonnie Scotland and trying to get everything in order. Where do i start ahh!!!!
I was transferred from my company in the UK for minimum 3 years. With the possibility of that being extended if all goes well. I have a Full UK drivers licence but would like to get a Texas drivers licence if possible does anyone know what documentation i need to obtain this?
I have heard conflicting stories regarding what i do need and what i don't need so looking for someone to set the record straight hopefully.

Thanks.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:23 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas Drivers Licence.

You might find this helpful:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...ingtotexas.htm

I would be prepared to show your passport, a birth certificate, and your UK license.

Last edited by ljaw2002uk; Jul 19th 2011 at 9:25 pm. Reason: Additional info.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

BROONER is an unknown quantity at this point

Extremely helpful thanks!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Get down to your local DPS office asap and get one.

Although I have been a resident of TX for five years, I got my license in CA after emigrating. I had to take just the theory test in TX. You may have to take a practical test too, I don't know.

Oh, and I think you will get one of those weird "vertical" licenses.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steve100100
Get down to your local DPS office asap and get one.

Although I have been a resident of TX for five years, I got my license in CA after emigrating. I had to take just the theory test in TX. You may have to take a practical test too, I don't know.

Oh, and I think you will get one of those weird "vertical" licenses.

What is a 'vertical' license?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:36 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
[/COLOR]

What is a 'vertical' license?
In Texas an "under 21" license is portrait rather than landscape.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
In Texas an "under 21" license is portrait rather than landscape.
Also, I believe, issued to folks on temp visas. As opposed to LPR's and citizens.

Portrait is the word I was looking for, thanks!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Be starting from scratch...most folks suggest going to a small office out of a major town as they're quicker.

Read up on the drivers hand book, the stuff for under 21's and drink drive points are the things that'll trip most folks up on the theory.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive on your UK license in TX for 1 year.

Get the yellow handbook to study for your written (computer) test free from any DPS office. Excellent advice from Bob to study the teen stuff because the test has a lot of it.

Tips for the driving test--
When you're going to turn or change lanes--turn on indicator, glance in rearview mirror, and turn head to look over your shoulder whichever way your turning to check the blind spot with your eyes. they like to see you do that.

Parallel parking--use indicator before attempting even though you're doing it in their car park.

Take photo id like passport, proof that you're allow to remain in the US more than 6 months (I-94 card), your social security card, proof of insurance.

Try the Angleton office (Brazoria County) if you're on the southside. Very small but more efficient than I've come across in Houston. Mondays and Fridays are more crowded. My husband took written and driving the same day. He just paralleled parked and circled the block a few times and she said I can tell you're a good driver. DONE. Three fourths of the test sheet was marked out (like not needed.) All Houston offices make you get the permit (from written test) then schedule the driving appointment at a later date according to their websites.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moxie
I don't think that is the case if you become a resident of TX.

Says 90 days for residents....

- Tim
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain

- Tim
Yes. I was thinking more of K1 visa holders who don't get a greencard for 5+ months and aren't "residents" until they do. Their I-94s are only valid for a 90 day stay and they can't get a license at all with no proof of at least 6 months authorized stay. It's a limbo situation where they reside here but don't have proof of authorized stay so can't get a license. Texas did recently start allowing the notice of filing for Adjustment of Status as something to show that would allow a license. In October 2008 when they changed their rules to require an I-94 to show at least 6 months, they also said you had 30 days to get a TX license. There was a big gap where it was impossible for a K1 to get a license in 30 days , so they drove as visitors until they got their Employment Authorization document or greencard.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain

- Tim
Correct. Even if you are moving around within Texas you still have to get your drivers license changed to your new address.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Download the Texas Drivers' Handbook, skim it and memorize just the things about teens and drinking. The rest of the theory test is just common sense questions except for the one where they ask if, when you're stopped but about to make a turn, where your wheels should be pointed. You're supposed to keep them pointed straight ahead.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moxie

Get the yellow handbook to study for your written (computer) test free from any DPS office. Excellent advice from Bob to study the teen stuff because the test has a lot of it.

Tips for the driving test--
When you're going to turn or change lanes--turn on indicator, glance in rearview mirror, and turn head to look over your shoulder whichever way your turning to check the blind spot with your eyes. they like to see you do that.

Parallel parking--use indicator before attempting even though you're doing it in their car park.

Take photo id like passport, proof that you're allow to remain in the US more than 6 months (I-94 card), your social security card, proof of insurance.

Try the Angleton office (Brazoria County) if you're on the southside. Very small but more efficient than I've come across in Houston. Mondays and Fridays are more crowded. My husband took written and driving the same day. He just paralleled parked and circled the block a few times and she said I can tell you're a good driver. DONE. Three fourths of the test sheet was marked out (like not needed.) All Houston offices make you get the permit (from written test) then schedule the driving appointment at a later date according to their websites.

The Angleton office is only about 4 blocks from where I work. That's where I took my test way back in 1989. You really have no major roads or much traffic to contend with here in Angleton, which makes it so much easier to take the test versus one of the Houston offices
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:00 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Street Address:
235 Old US 290E
Hempstead, TX 77445
General Information
979-826-7649

This is the one I went to. Got there just before 8am and no real queue. I decided it was worth the drive to not have the long wait in the office. The written test is literally that, written. No flashy computers in this office, just a friendly lady with sunflower pens. Got appointment for practical test 2 weeks later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.